PDA

View Full Version : Freeview from Hannington?

Aragorn
12-05-2006, 11:02
I live about 20 miles from the Hannington transmitter near Basingstoke, and my rooftop aerial is pointed in that direction. With a booster I can get a reasonable analogue signal in my kitchen.

I recently bought a Freeview box to see if it would pick up a signal. It does - barely. Some of the BBC channels work some of the time, but the rest are blank.

Looking at the 'switch to digital' and BBC sites it suggests that some areas won't switch to Freeview until the analogue switchoff - scheduled for 2012 in the South :shocked:.

Anyone one know if Hannington is transmitting Freeview and I need a bigger aerial or whether I'm just picking up a weak signal from Crystal Palace? I don't think it's worth paying to get the aerial re-directed to London.

TIA

Chris
12-05-2006, 11:07
Give this a try - it'll tell you which transmitters near you are carrying Freeview and what your chances of receiving it are.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

Aragorn
12-05-2006, 11:25
Nice site that.

Suggests that with an "Amplified extra hi-gain" aerial I 'should' be able to get a decent signal from Hannington.

Hmm - can I justify a £100+ aerial upgrade for the second TV? Not a top priority, but at least I know its an option.

Cheers Chris :tu:

Chris
12-05-2006, 12:08
Nice site that.

Suggests that with an "Amplified extra hi-gain" aerial I 'should' be able to get a decent signal from Hannington.

Hmm - can I justify a £100+ aerial upgrade for the second TV? Not a top priority, but at least I know its an option.

Cheers Chris :tu:

No problem. :)

20 miles isn't very far away for a main transmitter (assuming that's what Hannington is, and not a fill-in). I would have thought your problem is more likely to be that you need a wideband aerial to get the Freeview signal adequately.

nffc
12-05-2006, 14:20
Get a new wideband with the X-shaped elements (ie high gain) and you'll be fine. Hannington is a main TX so you should be OK. I can get 2 freeview boxes off an indoor aerial from Belmont which is about 50 miles away, no probs at all.