PDA

View Full Version : So what's for tea? (or dinner if you're posh)

Tricky
29-11-2003, 18:31
How many times do you come home from work and think what can we have for tea/dinner?

So this thread is aimed at what you've had, having or about to have this evening (or any other evening) - It'll serve (no pun intended) as an ideas area for what I can have for my tea:

Tonight it's:
Chicken fillet stir fried with red peppers and chillis
Can of tom's (chopped)
Some mushrooms
Simmer away for about 30 minutes+
Boil some pasta (not fresh none in the house!) - Spirals in case you wanted to know
Mix the two together when ready
Serve in hot bowls with some grated cheese on top
Eat immediately and wash down with a nice bottle of red

Atomic22
29-11-2003, 18:39
couldnt be bothered so it was a "big tasty" , fries and nuggets from maccy d's

Bex
29-11-2003, 18:48
for dinner my sister cooked a chicken stir fry.....was yummy, so had chicken and veg in it.....bean sprouts etc and egg fried rice mixed in yummy

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 19:06
well for me it is stewing steak with peas carrots , roast potatoes roast parsnip , yummmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :drool: , nice rich gravy , it has been cooking for about 2 hours now and has an hour to go :romance: , oh and dont forget the dumplings as well :drool:

MadGamer
29-11-2003, 19:12
Fish n chips

Ramrod
29-11-2003, 19:20
Home made chicken soup

Mark W
29-11-2003, 19:24
the culinary delight that is posh noodle washed down with carling :)

Bex
29-11-2003, 19:27
the culinary delight that is posh noodle washed down with carling :)

:eeek: do you know they are not good for you? and i don't think they can class as either dinner or tea.....

<shakes head sadly> what will we do with you mark :p

edit: i mean the pot noddle, i approve of the :beer:

Chimaera
29-11-2003, 19:29
Was feeling lazy after a day at the pc (work not fun!!) so.........
A spit roasted garlic chicken (from Tesco) and salad. :D

homealone
29-11-2003, 19:31
ok here's a good way to do Lamb, but you must like Garlic & have about 5 hours spare.

Get a leg of Lamb & make incisions all over using a sharp pointed knife. Into each incision put a peeled segment of Garlic (the more the merrier! but about 10 should do), stick in a few sprigs of Rosemary & squeeze on loads of Lemon juice. Preheat the oven to gas mark 8 (think thats about 230°C) ,put the lamb in for 20-30 minutes, then turn the oven down to gas mark 2 (about 150°C ?) & cook for at least another 4 hours.

The long slow cook makes the meat really tender & the Garlic/Rosemary/Lemon juice makes it absolutely scrummy - people cross the road when you get near them for a couple of days though;)

- tonight we had cottage pie, brocolli, carrot & swede.:)

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 19:34
ok here's a good way to do Lamb, but you must like Garlic & have about 5 hours spare.

Get a leg of Lamb & make incisions all over using a sharp pointed knife. Into each incision put a peeled segment of Garlic (the more the merrier! but about 10 should do), stick in a few sprigs of Rosemary & squeeze on loads of Lemon juice. Preheat the oven to gas mark 8 (think thats about 250°C) ,put the lamb in for 20-30 minutes, then turn the oven down to gas mark 2 (about 150°C ?) & cook for at least another 4 hours.

The long slow cook makes the meat really tender & the Garlic/Rosemary/Lemon juice makes it absolutely scrummy - people cross the road when you get near them for a couple of days though;)

- tonight we had cottage pie, brocolli, carrot & swede.:)

you have been watching river cottage aint you :p :p :p :p , sounds nice though :tu:

Paul
29-11-2003, 19:38
Just had Chips, beefbergers, chicken bites, chicken nuggets and a birdseye crispy chicken. :D

Sipowicz
29-11-2003, 19:39
Spaghetti Whatsit! (I usually do it with bacon and carrot's mixed with the beef, spot of honey, Lea & Perrins, Italian herbs......)

Washed down with a mug of tea!

LooeyUK
29-11-2003, 20:45
A small cheese and tomato pizza and chicken stripds + potato wedges for Dominoe's!

Should be here soon...

Tricky
30-11-2003, 09:42
Roast beef (sorry veggies) for lunch coming up and it's on slow roast for about 4 hours until lunchtime - Yum Yum.

yesman
30-11-2003, 11:02
Roast Lamb for me today with the usual veg.
But thats only because Asda had run out of Beef :(

Chimaera
30-11-2003, 13:10
Roasl lamb again yesman??

Well for Chim and the lasses (and dog!) there's roast pork and all the trimmings - not sure about dessert yet. Might be home made rice pudding or treacle pudding. :D

homealone
30-11-2003, 13:18
here's one to try if you like fish.

This method is suited to fish like herring, mackerel, trout & seabass - i.e. gutted but still with the head & skin on

take the fish & wash it & use the back of a knife to scrape off any loose scales. Put anything you want to flavour the fish in the gut cavity - e.g. lemon wedge, Tarragon, Fennel, Dill - it's up to you.

Thoroughly soak a newspaper in water (not a whole Observer, 4-6 sheets should do), then wrap the fish quite tightly in the wet newspaper & put in a pre-heated oven at about gas mark 3 (160°C) for 20 minutes to half an hour - till the newspaper is dry, but not beginning to char, basically.

Carefully unwrap the fish - if it has worked, the skin will stick to the paper & come away from the fish, saving a messy job at the table and you have a really moist, fragrant fish that has effectively just been steamed - plus no pan to wash up!

Tricky
30-11-2003, 13:50
here's one to try if you like fish.

This method is suited to fish like herring, mackerel, trout & seabass - i.e. gutted but still with the head & skin on

take the fish & wash it & use the back of a knife to scrape off any loose scales. Put anything you want to flavour the fish in the gut cavity - e.g. lemon wedge, Tarragon, Fennel, Dill - it's up to you.

Thoroughly soak a newspaper in water (not a whole Observer, 4-6 sheets should do), then wrap the fish quite tightly in the wet newspaper & put in a pre-heated oven at about gas mark 3 (160°C) for 20 minutes to half an hour - till the newspaper is dry, but not beginning to char, basically.

Carefully unwrap the fish - if it has worked, the skin will stick to the paper & come away from the fish, saving a messy job at the table and you have a really moist, fragrant fish that has effectively just been steamed - plus no pan to wash up!

If you use the daily sport do you then get a little sauce with the fish? (sorry!) :notopic:

homealone
30-11-2003, 14:18
If you use the daily sport do you then get a little sauce with the fish? (sorry!) :notopic:

only works with see basque;)

kink
30-11-2003, 16:11
only works with see basque;)
And would Sir like a bread pun with that to soak up all the spicy sauce?

homealone
30-11-2003, 16:20
And would Sir like a bread pun with that to soak up all the spicy sauce?

for you perhaps a little muffin?;)

kink
30-11-2003, 16:49
for you perhaps a little muffin?;)Muffin? Err no.... with see basque i prefer stuffing....

Which reminds me that this is a Mod's thread... so best try something on topic ;)

As far as stuffing is concerned... had a lovely breast stuffed the other night..... chicken breast... flattened with a little light beating... then filled with crushed garlic, chunks of mild cheese (gouda in this instance), seasoning... then roll them up.... wet the breasts with seasoned egg wash.. then roll in breadcrumbs... pin the edges with tooth picks, or bits of them and then fry in butter and oil....

A tastier pair of breasts you'll be pressed to find. And yes, i had two.... they were too good to leave at nibbling on one.

NB. Try and get me with a :notopic: on that one Tricky :p

Tricky
30-11-2003, 17:00
Muffin? Err no.... with see basque i prefer stuffing....

Which reminds me that this is a Mod's thread... so best try something on topic ;)

As far as stuffing is concerned... had a lovely breast stuffed the other night..... chicken breast... flattened with a little light beating... then filled with crushed garlic, chunks of mild cheese (gouda in this instance), seasoning... then roll them up.... wet the breasts with seasoned egg wash.. then roll in breadcrumbs... pin the edges with tooth picks, or bits of them and then fry in butter and oil....

A tastier pair of breasts you'll be pressed to find. And yes, i had two.... they were too good to leave at nibbling on one.

Sounds good ...
Going for field mushrooms, stuffed with pate and covered in breadcrumbs and then deep fried. Then drizzle with a little lemon juice... yum yum but very unhealthy

Then have what's left of pate on warm french bread...with a small salad.

dieselking
30-11-2003, 17:01
Muffin? Err no.... with see basque i prefer stuffing....

LOL Kink, stop boosting, all the lads on here will be getting jealous & be going green with envy :D :D

kink
30-11-2003, 17:02
Actually... if having TEA makes you average/normal and having DINNER makes you a snob (which is what i have...... think it's a cultural thing, having TEA as a meal, in my experience, seems to be a very english thing to do... when translated for us foreigners our evening meal is DINNER and not TEA :shrug: so that's what we've always used) .. what does having SUPPER make you? :D

NB. TEA's a drink damn you!!! no wonder foreigners are confused ;)

Tricky
30-11-2003, 17:05
Actually... if having TEA makes you average/normal and having DINNER makes you a snob (which is what i have...... think it's a cultural thing, having TEA as a meal, in my experience, seems to be a very english thing to do... when translated for us foreigners our evening meal is DINNER and not TEA :shrug: so that's what we've always used) .. what does having SUPPER make you? :D

NB. TEA's a drink damn you!!! no wonder foreigners are confused ;)

SUPPER makes you sober, because if you're eating at suppertime then you're either out on the p*** and you'd never call burger, pizza, kebab, curry etc. supper.

kink
30-11-2003, 17:13
SUPPER makes you sober, because if you're eating at suppertime then you're either out on the p*** and you'd never call burger, pizza, kebab, curry etc. supper.
When's supper time then?
Any particular time? You see.... the cultural differences here are showing i think :erm:

We have DINNER at about 7pm... slightly earlier or later perhaps... depends on the situation... am i right in saying that your TEA is taken earlier?
And is that your last meal of the day? Do you have both TEA and SUPPER then, with SUPPER being later?

Glad the having SUPPER makes you sober.... the Da Vinci painting would have turned out a little different if that wasn't the case... ;)

th'engineer
30-11-2003, 17:17
When's supper time then?
Any particular time? You see.... the cultural differences here are showing i think :erm:

We have DINNER at about 7pm... slightly earlier or later perhaps... depends on the situation... am i right in saying that your TEA is taken earlier?
And is that your last meal of the day? Do you have both TEA and SUPPER then, with SUPPER being later?

Glad the having SUPPER makes you sober.... the Da Vinci painting would have turned out a little different if that wasn't the case... ;)
Kink your right about it being regional it tea and supper around here, or down south its dinner.

kink
30-11-2003, 17:18
[Snippity snip].......

Tonight it's:
Boil some pasta (not fresh none in the house!) - Spirals in case you wanted to know

[Snippity snipped]

Oh and... that's Spirals for some... but Fusilli to us snobs :naughty: ;)

kink
30-11-2003, 17:27
If it is the main meal then

Tea is working class

Dinner is middle class

Supper makes you a "Southern Jessie" unless it's a snack just before bed.

Of course sometimes you can have HIGH TEA (No Kink, not on a step-ladder), just a bit of a BUTTY and a bit of jammy/cream cake.

Well..... thanks Drudge... you can get off your High horse now... i know what High Tea is ;)
So that means that to you... dinner and supper is the same... only differentiated by language differences associated with societal class and culture... that's what i thought, but Tricky's reply gave a different impression... was curious :)
When i was at school... i thought that TEA was something that people had at about 5pm or there after.... but obviously not.

Tricky
30-11-2003, 17:50
Oh and... that's Spirals for some... but Fusilli to us snobs :naughty: ;)

Or Eliche as it says on my package - same thing though...
Prefer the fresh stuff but this comes out of a packet and is ready in 10 minutes
I'll never make snob status... :rolleyes:

Bex
30-11-2003, 18:06
Kink your right about it being regional it tea and supper around here, or down south its dinner.

i think your right hun, it is regional......when i lived in leeds dinner was always referred to as supper or tea....

someone once told me that tea was something that u had early evening, dinner was around 6pm and supper was about 9pm.......not sure how right that is though :erm:

anyway for my dinner tonight i am having chicken in a mushroom and white wine sauce, and rice :D

Chris
30-11-2003, 18:35
Tonight, Ainsley, we're making jacket spuds ... they're in the oven right now and they'll be ready in an hour or 90 minutes or so. The crispier the better.

I have no idea what to put in mine. The thing I love about jacket spuds is you can put just about anything in them, so I'll wander downstairs a little later and see what's in the cupboard.

Yum.