PDA

View Full Version : Questions before signing up to NTL?

Toilet-Duck
09-05-2006, 19:55
I'm seriously thinking of switching to NTL for my broadband only and ordering tomorrow however I have a couple questions before I sign up...

What are gaming pings like on NTL Cable? I switched over from Pipex to Nildram via ADSL however my pings are the same, I recieve pings of 60 and below in games, however recently for some reason BT switched on interleave on my line and this has caused my pings to rocket I now get pings of 100 making it impossible to play games onine. I heard that Cable has much better pings than ADSL is this true?

What kind of box will they install? As I said Im only looking to switch to NTL cable only, does that mean I will only receieve a NTL 250 box? My friend has NTL through a set top box and his always seems to crash whenever he refreshes cs servers it gets to around 750 servers refreshed before it crashes, does this happen on NTL new boxes that they fit?

Does the 30 day refund policy mean that in which ever way Im not happy with NTL cable once its fitted Im allowed to ring up CS and cancel within 30 days after they have fitted it? I just rang up to CS and I was told that Im only allowed to cancel if there is a fault on the line or if they promised somthing they didnt keep? But it states differently on their website :erm:.

Thanks in advance! ;)

Florence
09-05-2006, 20:26
I'm seriously thinking of switching to NTL for my broadband only and ordering tomorrow however I have a couple questions before I sign up...

Don't heartache will follow

What are gaming pings like on NTL Cable? I switched over from Pipex to Nildram via ADSL however my pings are the same, I recieve pings of 60 and below in games, however recently for some reason BT switched on interleave on my line and this has caused my pings to rocket I now get pings of 100 making it impossible to play games onine. I heard that Cable has much better pings than ADSL is this true?

I would ask your ISP to remove interleave.

Well today my ping during a game was 24, I have had good pings for months never above 40 during the day but, recently they can be anywhere from 20 to 400 at peak time of day.

What kind of box will they install? As I said Im only looking to switch to NTL cable only, does that mean I will only receieve a NTL 250 box? My friend has NTL through a set top box and his always seems to crash whenever he refreshes cs servers it gets to around 750 servers refreshed before it crashes, does this happen on NTL new boxes that they fit?

Small blue ambit 250 nice compact and reliable unlike the Indian tech support :D

Does the 30 day refund policy mean that in which ever way Im not happy with NTL cable once its fitted Im allowed to ring up CS and cancel within 30 days after they have fitted it? I just rang up to CS and I was told that Im only allowed to cancel if there is a fault on the line or if they promised somthing they didnt keep? But it states differently on their website :erm:.

Thanks in advance! ;)

Refund well only refunds I have seen has been credit on my account not cheque in post

Neil
09-05-2006, 20:46
Only Telewest currently offer the money back guarantee (ntl wouldn't dare offer such a thing)

Toilet-Duck
09-05-2006, 21:23
Only Telewest currently offer the money back guarantee (ntl wouldn't dare offer such a thing)

Hmm but it says on their website that a 30 day money back guarantee was offered :erm:

http://www.ntl.co.uk/

Neil
09-05-2006, 21:26
Hmm but it says on their website that a 30 day money back guarantee was offered :erm:

http://www.ntl.co.uk/

Well they kept that one quiet!!

30 day money back guarantee.

We're so confident that you'll be happy with your new ntl service(s), we're offering a money back guarantee. If you're in any way dissatisfied and wish to cancel, you can call customer services within 30 days of installation and request a refund. We'll then credit your account with your first month's rental charges and any installation fees. All we'll charge you for are any calls made, movies, music, any pay-per-view or On Demand events ordered or any service upgrades after installation. 30 day money back guarantee only available to new ntl customers. This does not affect your statutory rights.

http://www.home.ntl.com/page/additionalinformation#guarantee

Toilet-Duck
09-05-2006, 21:35
Well they kept that one quiet!!

http://www.home.ntl.com/page/additionalinformation#guarantee

So this covers broadband as well? Im only worried that if I order and I dont like it that they will refuse to refund me/cancel my account. The women on the phone said that the 30 day money back guarantee is only vaild if there is a fault on the line or if they promise somthing they dont keep :confused:?

Florence
09-05-2006, 23:17
So this covers broadband as well? Im only worried that if I order and I dont like it that they will refuse to refund me/cancel my account. The women on the phone said that the 30 day money back guarantee is only vaild if there is a fault on the line or if they promise somthing they dont keep :confused:?

so once you sign up and the line is crap due to contention you are screwed for 12 months
:D when I joined it was good and my 12 months passed so I can now watch the adsl side and wait for the right package then jump..