PDA

View Full Version : Returned Email

Jonboy
29-11-2003, 15:03
hi guys&gals any of you boffins know why i get the message below when i try to send mail to my friens in usa

The host 'smtp.smtp.ntlworld.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com (2)', Server: 'smtp.smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

its drivein me knuts only started to do this today every time i send a email this message comes back within seconds

:Peace:

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 15:04
hi guys&gals any of you boffins know why i get the message below when i try to send mail to my friens in usa

The host 'smtp.smtp.ntlworld.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com (2)', Server: 'smtp.smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

its drivein me knuts only started to do this today every time i send a email this message comes back within seconds

:Peace:

are your e-mail settings right , surely it shouldnt be smtp.smtp.ntlworld.com , it shoould be smtp.ntlworld.com :)

check your account settings in your e-mail client :)

have you checked it yet ?????????? :)

tools > accounts > properties > servers , if you dont know where it is , that is in outlook express :)

Mark W
29-11-2003, 15:14
yea, as above it should be smtp.ntlworld.com

here is a guide to setting up outlook express

Configuring Outlook Express

Click on tools, accounts and then select the mail tab. Remove all unwanted/unused email accounts. It is normally quicker to remove the NTL account (if there is one), rather than trying to edit the one that is not working properly.

Now select add and then click on Mail.

Enter display name i.e. the name that you would like displayed as the sender on mail that you send, then click on Next

Now enter the email address i.e. the address that was provided at registration, and then click on Next.

You will then be asked for the server details.

My incoming mail server should already POP3.

Then enter the Incoming Mail as: pop.ntlworld.com

Then enter the Outgoing Mail as : smtp.ntlworld.com

Then click on Next, enter your password then click on Finish. You have now entered a new email account. Click on close and you should be able to send/receive emails.

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 15:15
i wonder why it should change though , any ideas ????????? , it should be easy to sort though :)

Jonboy
29-11-2003, 15:35
hey playmates ive checked em all non have that extra smtp bit in the settings all are smtp.ntlworld.com
i have had a few problems one way or another from when i upgraded to XP not that i am casting aspersians about a hi grade operating system u understand
:shrug: :naughty:

NtlRebelReborn
29-11-2003, 15:38
Could still have something to do with the TAT 14 pipe thats down. :shrug: :p

Mark W
29-11-2003, 15:52
hey playmates ive checked em all non have that extra smtp bit in the settings all are smtp.ntlworld.com
i have had a few problems one way or another from when i upgraded to XP not that i am casting aspersians about a hi grade operating system u understand
:shrug: :naughty:

have you tried just removing that account and readding it?

other possibilities, well as the error message comes straight up id say its a pc issue rather than a server issue (those kind of hang for a while before throwing an error at you).
try turning off your firewall and antivirus (youd be surprised how often that fixes it)
try recreating the account
and if that fails, try swapping pop.ntlworld.com for 62.253.162.56 and see if you get a different error message

:)

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 16:01
have you tried just removing that account and readding it?

other possibilities, well as the error message comes straight up id say its a pc issue rather than a server issue (those kind of hang for a while before throwing an error at you).
try turning off your firewall and antivirus (youd be surprised how often that fixes it)
try recreating the account
and if that fails, try swapping pop.ntlworld.com for 62.253.162.56 and see if you get a different error message

:)

did you mean restarting antivirus and firewall mark ?????????? , its just that if i was going to do that i would make sure i wasnt connected at the time i.e. not dialled in or physically not connected to cm or stb , just incase summat crept in , i still cannot see how he is getting that error if the settings are ok :confused:

Mark W
29-11-2003, 16:12
did you mean restarting antivirus and firewall mark ?????????? , its just that if i was going to do that i would make sure i wasnt connected at the time i.e. not dialled in or physically not connected to cm or stb , just incase summat crept in , i still cannot see how he is getting that error if the settings are ok :confused:

no, i mean turn them off. I appreciate the dangers, but it is only for a min or so, and the odds of getting something nasty in that time is remote.
The upside is that if you can suddenly send/rcv then you know that is whats been stopping you so you can check their settings to resolve - and you would be surprised just how often a firewall or antivirus stops any mail comming or going.

really tho, i dont think thats the problem here. personally i think its gotta be that extra smtp in smtp.smtp.ntlworld.com
No idea how it got there, but removing and recreating the account should fix it

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 16:20
no, i mean turn them off. I appreciate the dangers, but it is only for a min or so, and the odds of getting something nasty in that time is remote.
The upside is that if you can suddenly send/rcv then you know that is whats been stopping you so you can check their settings to resolve - and you would be surprised just how often a firewall or antivirus stops any mail comming or going.

really tho, i dont think thats the problem here. personally i think its gotta be that extra smtp in smtp.smtp.ntlworld.com
No idea how it got there, but removing and recreating the account should fix it

i see where you are coming from but i have heard of people picking stuff up using xp very very quickly , anyway i reckon you / we are right about the extra smtp :)

Tiptoes
29-11-2003, 20:36
I agree recreating th account "should" fix it but if it doesnt then its could have happened when he set his firewall/AV up

Which ones are yo using?

Jonboy
10-12-2003, 14:31
just to let u guys know my mail is back to normal if you know what normal is i have done nothing to my settings at all so i am none the wiser what caused he problem but as of today its working faultless again thanks for all advice but it must have been an ntl thing now there is a surprise :erm: thanks again guy's & Gal's

Dooby
11-12-2003, 12:43
it could have just been a network issue, and the extra 'smtp' was added by the thing displaying the error message ( wouldnt be the first time i had seen that sort of thing ) ...