PDA

View Full Version : Blue steaks

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 13:55
How come you have to be careful cooking pork and chicken, yet can have blue steaks?

What's different about beef?

Ramrod
29-11-2003, 14:13
Clarify the question please....what are 'blue steaks':confused:

....beef only has worms, whilst chicken can have salmonella.

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 14:14
Blue Steak.
You know you have rare, medium, well done, well with blue you basically turn to the raw steak, point at the grill and say "look steak, there's the grill" then go and serve it :D

Ramrod
29-11-2003, 14:15
Blue Steak.
You know you have rare, medium, well done, well with blue you basically turn to the raw steak, point at the grill and say "look steak, there's the grill" then go and serve it :DWhy 'blue'?
....btw...I edited my post...#2

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 14:17
Why 'blue'?
....btw...I edited my post...#2

I noticed! We'll have no streaking in this forum thank you very much :D

I guess blue because blue is associated with cold.
It's for people who like their steak to moo when they cut it.

Bex
29-11-2003, 14:22

I guess blue because blue is associated with cold.
It's for people who like their steak to moo when they cut it.

isn't blood meant to be blue before it reacts with the air and turns red???? maybe that is what it is

i would have thought that due to cjd they would have stopped doing steak like this (also i dont know how anyone can eat it.....)

homealone
29-11-2003, 14:23
How come you have to be careful cooking pork and chicken, yet can have blue steaks?

What's different about beef?

good question - I always thought cooking pork thoroughly was because it was considered to be a higher risk of 'catching' a tapeworm, but as the recent BBC programme showed, beef can also vector tapeworms, so why it is felt beef cooked 'a bleu' is ok I don't know.

chicken, however, must be cooked thoroughly to ensure all the Salmonella & Campylobacter bacteria are killed.

Ramrod
29-11-2003, 14:25

.But.....I lost a bet with kink and now I have to.:mis:

:D

Xaccers
isn't blood meant to be blue before it reacts with the air and turns red???? maybe that is what it is

i would have thought that due to cjd they would have stopped doing steak like this (also i dont know how anyone can eat it.....)

Deoxygenated blood is normally bluish.

Steaks don't contain spine or brain matter, so CJD isn't much of an issue, only those parts were banned.

Ramrod

Steaks don't contain spine or brain matter, so CJD isn't much of an issue, only those parts were banned.It's the worms that worry me!

Bex
29-11-2003, 14:26

Steaks don't contain spine or brain matter, so CJD isn't much of an issue, only those parts were banned.

well i got the first bit right at least :p

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 14:26
It's the worms that worry me!

Just don't eat raw minced beef then, that normally contains tapeworm eggs.

Ramrod
29-11-2003, 14:28
Just don't eat raw minced beef then, that normally contains tapeworm eggs.but so will raw unminced beef....

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 14:33
maybe it isnt safe to eat it blue , i know i wouldnt do it , well done for me please :) , a mate of mine used to flash his steak for about 2 seconds a side , the bloody stuff was running with blood , i reckon if you kicked it it would have gone moo and run off :( :afire: :afire: :afire:

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 14:39
but so will raw unminced beef....

Minced beef contains cow intestines which is where the tapeworm eggs are, tapeworms stay in the intestine, until they are ready to leave the host, at which point they head for the anus and wriggle their way out (they don't wait to catch a ride) :eek:

Maggy
29-11-2003, 14:42
maybe it isnt safe to eat it blue , i know i wouldnt do it , well done for me please :) , a mate of mine used to flash his steak for about 2 seconds a side , the bloody stuff was running with blood , i reckon if you kicked it it would have gone moo and run off :( :afire: :afire: :afire:

Oh dear! I'm afraid I love my steak this way.However no one EVER believes me and I always get burnt leather when I eat steak out.So these days I only eat steak at home so I can eat it the way I want to and not offend everyone else. :(

Incog. :) Not caught anything in 40 years of eating blue steak by the way.

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 14:56
Minced beef contains cow intestines which is where the tapeworm eggs are, tapeworms stay in the intestine, until they are ready to leave the host, at which point they head for the anus and wriggle their way out (they don't wait to catch a ride) :eek:

nice :( , i was going to have leg of mince tonight as well :erm:

philip.j.fry
29-11-2003, 15:01
Oh dear! I'm afraid I love my steak this way.However no one EVER believes me and I always get burnt leather when I eat steak out.So these days I only eat steak at home so I can eat it the way I want to and not offend everyone else. :(

I love it rare too, in resteraunts I always get asked if I'm sure then given a warning about it. I've even heard some reports of people being asked to sign release forms before being given steak tartare.

orangebird
29-11-2003, 15:11
I love it rare too, in resteraunts I always get asked if I'm sure then given a warning about it. I've even heard some reports of people being asked to sign release forms before being given steak tartare.

I love proper steak tartare. I never have steak cooked any more than very rare/blue. TBH if you do have steak cooked anymore than that, don't bother ordering fillet. Absolute waste of money and good beef IMO. :) Have a cheap piece of rump and the chef won't hate you half as much. ;)

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 15:16
my gf loves rare steak.
We took my parents out to the Sail Makers in hull, mum ordered a 5oz well done steak diane, Kirst ordered an 8oz rare steak (she hates diane sause).
Mum got an 8oz rare steak diane, kirst got a 5oz lump of charcoal!
Not happy, kirst totally put off food, mum can't eat rare steaks, no appology from the staff, but they did give our money back.
Don't think we'll go back there again.

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 15:28
my gf loves rare steak.
We took my parents out to the Sail Makers in hull, mum ordered a 5oz well done steak diane, Kirst ordered an 8oz rare steak (she hates diane sause).
Mum got an 8oz rare steak diane, kirst got a 5oz lump of charcoal!
Not happy, kirst totally put off food, mum can't eat rare steaks, no appology from the staff, but they did give our money back.
Don't think we'll go back there again.

oh boy would i have had fun if that had happened to me :afire: :afire: :afire: :afire: , mind you it makes you wonder how some places stay in buisness :erm:

Chimaera
29-11-2003, 15:48
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Well that's it for me - I will now become a vegetarian! :D

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 15:54

you should get a prize for the most number of pukey smilies in one post :p :p :p

Marge
29-11-2003, 16:13

Yep think I will too, no more meat going in my mouth, well might just make the odd exception :naughty:

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 16:19
Yep think I will too, no more meat going in my mouth, well might just make the odd exception :naughty:

excuse me :erm: , naughty girl :p :p :p :p

Bex
29-11-2003, 16:21

:LOL: i think i agree with the sentiments though, after reading this thread not sure i would eat meat......but then i will smell bacon and that will go out the window

although u do have to be careful what u put in your mouth generally :naughty:

Ramrod
29-11-2003, 16:23
Minced beef contains cow intestines :eek:Not the mince I eat!:)

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 16:24
http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/business/Environmental_Health/Food_Safety/Food_Poisoning_Information.asp

I think our bodies and our food has become too "sanitised". I'm sure we didn't have these sort of problems in the good old days of hunting our own food with spears and chatting up girls by bashing them over the head with a club* ;).

EDIT: *apologies. I hear they still do this in Wales. :D

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 16:26

Nooooooo! I used to work for a lettuce producer in chichester (they produce lettuce for Tesco, Morrisons and McDonalds)
The workers used to use the fields as toilets (and I'm not talking just number ones here!)
They also expanded into spain and the quality checks found loads of fag butts in the lettuces. The workers out there used baby ones as ashtrays, so they grew round the butts.

Bex
29-11-2003, 16:28
Nooooooo! I used to work for a lettuce producer in chichester (they produce lettuce for Tesco, Morrisons and McDonalds)
The workers used to use the fields as toilets (and I'm not talking just number ones here!)
They also expanded into spain and the quality checks found loads of fag butts in the lettuces. The workers out there used baby ones as ashtrays, so they grew round the butts.

:bigcry: :sick: don't tell me that :erm:

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 16:29

I could imagine that there'd be nothing worse than a lettuce growing round your butt. :D

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 16:33
and as this thread descends gently towards the gutter i might just go away quietly and leave you all to it :erm: :p :p :p :p :p :p

Bex
29-11-2003, 16:34
http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/business/Environmental_Health/Food_Safety/Food_Poisoning_Information.asp

I think our bodies and our food has become too "sanitised". I'm sure we didn't have these sort of problems in the good old days of hunting our own food with spears and chatting up girls by bashing them over the head with a club* ;).

EDIT: *apologies. I hear they still do this in Wales. :D

:rofl: i was going to say i'm glad guys don't still bash us ladies over the head with a club to chat us up........but if they still do it in wales :p;)

you also need to remember we used to die younger and didn't have the technology to necessarily know why people died, and diet was part of this, so maybe it has always been around, however we weren't technologically advanced enough to know :p

Bex
29-11-2003, 16:36
and as this thread descends gently towards the gutter i might just go away quietly and leave you all to it :erm: :p :p :p :p :p :p

if you don't like gutter comments don't stick your tongue out so much, you are just asking for trouble :naughty: :p

Mr_love_monkey
29-11-2003, 16:39
I remember reading somewhere (might have been 'fast food nation' - but could be wrong) - about the number of people that get E-coli from vegetables that haven't been washed properly?

These days I don't really think you're 'safe' to anything - so the way I see it, if I'm going to catch something, it might as well be from a nice juicy rare steak, which I really enjoy, rather than from a dirty carrot. :)

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 16:42
if you don't like gutter comments don't stick your tongue out so much, you are just asking for trouble :naughty: :p

tongue firmly retracted , dammit i said i was keeping away from here , as if :p :p :p :p

Bex
29-11-2003, 16:43
tongue firmly retracted , dammit i said i was keeping away from here , as if :p :p :p :p

but u also said you were going to retract your tongue ;)

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 16:49
but u also said you were going to retract your tongue ;)

caught me out again aint you , it is now very firmly retracted :( , anyway i will still eat mince as i like it , if you worry about everything you eat you might as well not eat at all :)

Bex
29-11-2003, 16:51
caught me out again aint you , it is now very firmly retracted :( , anyway i will still eat mince as i like it , if you worry about everything you eat you might as well not eat at all :)

was only teasing :kiss:

i see your point, we would have to be careful of everything we put into our mouths :naughty: but seriously, there is probably a potential problem/illness/effect of all foods :erm:

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 16:52
:rofl: i was going to say i'm glad guys don't still bash us ladies over the head with a club to chat us up........but if they still do it in wales :p;)

you also need to remember we used to die younger and didn't have the technology to necessarily know why people died, and diet was part of this, so maybe it has always been around, however we weren't technologically advanced enough to know :p

Maybe that's real reason why the dinosaurs died out - they didn't have a Food Safety and Health Inspectorate.

Bex
29-11-2003, 16:54
Maybe that's real reason why the dinosaurs died out - they didn't have a Food Safety and Health Inspectorate.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you might just be right there you know :p

Marge
29-11-2003, 16:58
Going to McD's for my tea, seriously having second thoughts now I've read about the dodgy lettuce etc :erm: feel very :sick:

Any good ideas what I can have ???

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 17:04
Going to McD's for my tea, seriously having second thoughts now I've read about the dodgy lettuce etc :erm: feel very :sick:

beanburger or what ever they call it now , mind you ................. nah only yolking :p :p :p :p , dammit me tongues come out again :)

Bex
29-11-2003, 17:08

well hun if you think about everything thats been said here, you probably couldn't eat anything *sigh* :erm:

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 17:11
well hun if you think about everything thats been said here, you probably couldn't eat anything *sigh* :erm:

well if i was going it would be the biggest bacon double cheese they do for me :drool: :D :D

Tricky
29-11-2003, 17:12

Goto BurgerKing instead - At least the salad/burgers there looks fresh!

Bex
29-11-2003, 17:14
well if i was going it would be the biggest bacon double cheese they do for me :drool: :D :D

chicken burger for me.......BUT isn't bacon double cheese from BK and not maccy d's??

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 17:15
chicken burger for me.......BUT isn't bacon double cheese from BK and not maccy d's??

is it i cant remember , it dont matter , mind you i prefer bk anyway :)

Bex
29-11-2003, 17:18
is it i cant remember , it dont matter , mind you i prefer bk anyway :)

i dont like bk........but then prefer KFC to maccy's also :p

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 17:19
As bizarre as it might sound, this thread is making me hungry.
I think I'll go cook some nice fish :D.

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 17:23

dont you get worms in fish , just curious :p :p

Bex
29-11-2003, 17:28

i'm hungry also and have a really strong craving for a KFC fillet tower burger........mmmmmmmmmmmmm

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 17:31
i'm hungry also and have a really strong craving for a KFC fillet tower burger........mmmmmmmmmmmmm

too many veggies in it for me i just want the bun and chicken , and a bit of mayo when you go please :p :p

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 17:34

No, you just get heavy metals instead. :Yikes:

Bex
29-11-2003, 17:38
too many veggies in it for me i just want the bun and chicken , and a bit of mayo when you go please :p :p

takes out her notebook and notes down what peeps want from kfc....:p:p:p:p:p

anyway :notopic:

so have we discovered any food which doesn't have something bad in it?

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 17:39
takes out her notebook and notes down what peeps want from kfc....:p:p:p:p:p

anyway :notopic:

so have we discovered any food which doesn't have something bad in it?

Chocolate?

Bex
29-11-2003, 17:41
Chocolate?

it gives me migraines :cry:

homealone
29-11-2003, 17:42

yes you do - dolphins/wales/seals eat the fish, the worms lay eggs which are excreted by the seals - the fish then eat the eggs - which hatch into worms & round it goes again.

Thing is, because of the need for the aquatic mammals to continue the cycle, you only tend to get worms in fish caught in relatively shallow water - deep sea caught fish usually don't have them. Any worms found should be removed when the fish is filleted (they are dead easy to see in cod/haddock, cos the worms are pink & the fish is white) - and both freezing & cooking will kill them. Tapeworms shouldn't be a problem because not many people eat fish guts.

so we've got worms in meat & fish, Salmonella in poultry, E.coli in salad - looks like only beans are left - hang on Kidney beans are poisonous if you don't cook them right - aaaargh;)

homealone
29-11-2003, 17:44
No, you just get heavy metals instead. :Yikes:

Marlin, Swordfish & Tuna, especially, are noted for high levels of Mercury.

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 17:49
it gives me migraines :cry:

I was going to go on to say that a proven side affect of eating chocolate is that it releases the same chemicals in the body as you get during rumpy pumpy. But if you've got a headache then sadly I'm afraid I can't help you there. :D
/expecting a great big slap any moment now/

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 17:58
Marlin, Swordfish & Tuna, especially, are noted for high levels of Mercury.

Invertebrates/shellfish are suposed to be the worst because they are very good at filtering pollution from the water - and then dying (invertebrates are often the first thing to die when water quality drops - especially with heavy metals).
Can't stand most of that stuff myself anyway. Tastes like fisherman's sick scraped up from Whitby fish market on a hot day. :sick:

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 18:02
I was going to go on to say that a proven side affect of eating chocolate is that it releases the same chemicals in the body as you get during rumpy pumpy. But if you've got a headache then sadly I'm afraid I can't help you there. :D

that is seratonins isnt it , i am just glad choccie dont do that to me , and yes i reckon you are in for a bloody great big slap as soon as she reads that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 18:03
Invertebrates/shellfish are suposed to be the worst because they are very good at filtering pollution from the water - and then dying (invertebrates are often the first thing to die when water quality drops - especially with heavy metals).
Can't stand most of that stuff myself anyway. Tastes like fisherman's sick scraped up from Whitby fish market on a hot day. :sick:

whats wrong with whitby :afire: :afire: :afire: , or is it the sick that is the problem :)

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 18:05
whats wrong with whitby :afire: :afire: :afire: , or is it the sick that is the problem :)

Nothing. Whitby is the only one I know. Any fishmarket will do.

Bex
29-11-2003, 18:08

actually i think it is a myth that rumpy pumy (as u call it) can't be had when you have a headache, it actually seems to get rid of headaches :naughty:
i can slap u if u want :naughty:

tuna has high levels of mercury? damn i've only just started eating it :erm:

homealone
29-11-2003, 18:14
tuna has high levels of mercury? damn i've only just started eating it

not as much as swordfish, shark & marlin, but recommended no more than two portions per week.:)

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/healthiereating/dailydiet/meatfisheggs/

Bex
29-11-2003, 18:16
not as much as swordfish, shark & marlin, but recommended no more than two portions per week.:)

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/healthiereating/dailydiet/meatfisheggs/

darn it..but it has lots of minerals and stuff in it that we need doesn't it? tuna i mean?

ahh is that why pregnant women shouldn;t eat tuna?

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 18:17
actually i think it is a myth that rumpy pumy (as u call it) can't be had when you have a headache, it actually seems to get rid of headaches :naughty:

Never buy the canned tuna "flakes" - even just for sandwiches. They are the arse end scraps of the fish. Get the Tuna Steak. It is worth the extra.

I got some well known brand of tuna flakes a few months ago and they were absolutely foul. Normally they are OK, Not the best but OK. However these ones smelled slightly odd but tasted absolutely rotten. I though it was just a bad can so I opened another in the 4 pack it was just as bad. I keep meaning to send the remaining 2 cans to the manufacturer (and hopefully getting a crate of choice tuna steak or a fat cheque in compensation).

Suddenly I don't feell hungry anymore.

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 18:17
Nothing. Whitby is the only one I know. Any fishmarket will do.

only kidding my mate , when i win the lottery i would move there , sorry if i win , whereabouts in teesside are you btw , its just i am in norton :)

Bex
29-11-2003, 18:19
Never buy the canned tuna "flakes" - even just for sandwiches. They are the arse end scraps of the fish. Get the Tuna Steak. It is worth the extra.

I got some well known brand of tuna flakes a few months ago and they were absolutely foul. Normally they are OK, Not the best but OK. However these ones smelled slightly odd but tasted absolutely rotten. I though it was just a bad can so I opened another in the 4 pack it was just as bad. I keep meaning to send the remaining 2 cans to the manufacturer (and hopefully getting a crate of choice tuna steak or a fat cheque in compensation).

Suddenly I don't feell hungry anymore.

i have never eaten tuna flakes....but thanks for the advice, i won't buy them.....:D

noticed u ignored the rest of the post :p;)

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 18:26

Well the lettuce did used to get put through a chlorine bath before going out, and they were going to be changing to some organic antibac shortly after I left...
Course you could just have a quarterpounder, no lettuce there

homealone
29-11-2003, 18:27
darn it..but it has lots of minerals and stuff in it that we need doesn't it? tuna i mean?

ahh is that why pregnant women shouldn;t eat tuna?

first yep to the pregnant women question, mercury is very bad for the developing brain & nervous system of the foetus.:(

- the nutritional stuff, hmm, fresh tuna is good in that way, but the main benefit is the omega3 fatty acids - canned tuna isn't a good source of these btw, however any oily fish such as herring & mackerel are just as good as fresh tuna. There are environmental factors with tuna as well - thousands of Albatross die each year by being caught on the fishing lines. Herring, on the other hand can be sourced from a managed fishery approved by the Marine Stewardship Council. (in the Thames Estuary).

purenuman
29-11-2003, 18:27
Minced beef contains cow intestines which is where the tapeworm eggs are, tapeworms stay in the intestine, until they are ready to leave the host, at which point they head for the anus and wriggle their way out (they don't wait to catch a ride) :eek:Humans do not get tapeworms from eating the intestine but from the animals muscles i.e. meat.

With human tapeworm infestations (the beef tapeworm, Taenia saginata) the usual intermediate host is a cow, which ingests the proglottid (tapeworm embryo) while drinking or grazing.

The round-bodied embryos, equipped with sharp hooks, hatch and bore through the cowââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s intestinal wall into the bloodstream, where they are carried to the muscles.

Here each embryo encloses itself in a cyst, or bladder; at this stage it is called a bladder worm. During the bladder worm stage the embryo develops into a miniature scolex; it remains encysted until the muscle is eaten by a primary host, in this case a human.

If the scolex has not been killed by sufficient cooking of the meat, it sheds its covering and attaches to the intestinal wall, where it begins producing proglottids.

Maggy
29-11-2003, 18:29

well now you see ...there's a little fallacy there.I have on several enthusiastic encounters actually developed a blinding headache just at the errrrr....exciting point.It's a bluddy passion killer too. :(

You know I just don't read all that stuff in the newspapers anymore except when my children were younger and I had to protect them.Fortunately they had their own ideas at the time and I had to forget all the 'advice'.I think that you need to remember that newspapers are trying to sell newspapers and so dry scientific facts gets pizazzed into something more exciting but not necessarily factual.

Incog.

homealone
29-11-2003, 18:31
If the scolex has not been killed by sufficient cooking of the meat, it sheds its covering and attaches to the intestinal wall, where it begins producing proglottids.

IIRC it becomes an 'evaginated scolex' - which caused a few sniggers in double biology;)

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 18:31
only kidding my mate , when i win the lottery i would move there , sorry if i win , whereabouts in teesside are you btw , its just i am in norton :)

Whitby is an absolutely fine place. Got relatives there. I'd love to have one of the old wonky little houses near Tate Hill pier. Deffo first choice after a lottery win :). For the uninitiated, the only downside is the fog horn and Fortune's kipper smoking sheds - but I'm sure you get used to that.
My old relatives used to tell me stories about when they were kids in the summer they used nick school off by simply jumping out of the school room window and into the river Esk. Novel idea.

Bex
29-11-2003, 18:32
first yep to the pregnant women question, mercury is very bad for the developing brain & nervous system of the foetus.:(

- the nutritional stuff, hmm, fresh tuna is good in that way, but the main benefit is the omega3 fatty acids - canned tuna isn't a good source of these btw, however any oily fish such as herring & mackerel are just as good as fresh tuna. There are environmental factors with tuna as well - thousands of Albatross die each year by being caught on the fishing lines. Herring, on the other hand can be sourced from a managed fishery approved by the Marine Stewardship Council. (in the Thames Estuary).

ahhh ok now i know why preggers women cant eat it.......might come in handy info for when im older and married etc ;):p

ok so canned tuna isn't good for me...:cry:

Atomic22
29-11-2003, 18:36
going back to the food thingy........
i lerrrrrv donner keebabs and although they are supposed to be made from lamb i dont think the elephants foot in any of our local chippys ever wore a wooly coat and got chased by welsh farmers....
having said this ,even if someone told me they were made from monkeys gonads and contained miximitosis it would not put me off having them after mr carlsberg has taken effect on my brain on the average fri/sat night

Bex
29-11-2003, 18:37
well now you see ...there's a little fallacy there.I have on several enthusiastic encounters actually developed a blinding headache just at the errrrr....exciting point.It's a bluddy passion killer too. :(

Incog.

that could be to do with the pressure in your body before the :erm: moment.....

maybe it is a matter of the exersion which stops headaches, or maybe it is the chemicals which are given off....... bexy stops talking now :blush:

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 18:38
Humans do not get tapeworms from eating the intestine but from the animals muscles i.e. meat.

With human tapeworm infestations (the beef tapeworm, Taenia saginata) the usual intermediate host is a cow, which ingests the proglottid (tapeworm embryo) while drinking or grazing.

The round-bodied embryos, equipped with sharp hooks, hatch and bore through the cowââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s intestinal wall into the bloodstream, where they are carried to the muscles.

Here each embryo encloses itself in a cyst, or bladder; at this stage it is called a bladder worm. During the bladder worm stage the embryo develops into a miniature scolex; it remains encysted until the muscle is eaten by a primary host, in this case a human.

Ah, thankyou for correcting me :)
So people who eat uncooked beef are running a higher risk of getting tape worms then? ew.

As for chocolate releasing ceratonin, prozac works better *giggling fit*

Spoke to my missus and asked her the reason as she works in the hospitality trade.
Chickens and pigs tend to eat their own faeces, and so the cycle of salminella infection continues, whereas cows don't and so don't have so much saminella in their systems, hence why it's safer to eat beef that hasn't been cooked so much.

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 18:45
Whitby is an absolutely fine place. Got relatives there. I'd love to have one of the old wonky little houses near Tate Hill pier. Deffo first choice after a lottery win :). For the uninitiated, the only downside is the fog horn and Fortune's kipper smoking sheds - but I'm sure you get used to that.
My old relatives used to tell me stories about when they were kids in the summer they used nick school off by simply jumping out of the school room window and into the river Esk. Novel idea.

best night out i have ever had was in whitby , mind you i nearly got locked up for doing a certain thing down a dark alley , ahhh ******** im off topic again arent i , anyway , i dont care what people say about food i will eat what i want , it might as well be that that kills me :p :p :p

Maggy
29-11-2003, 18:47
Hmm! I wish I had a lovely 3 inch thick rare fillet steak right now with blood running into all the trimmings.Lush! :drool:

Incog. :batty: :batty: :batty:

purenuman
29-11-2003, 18:50
Ah, thankyou for correcting me :)
So people who eat uncooked beef are running a higher risk of getting tape worms then? ew.
Yep! Gross init

Download Failed (1)

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 18:52
Yep! Gross init

Download Failed (1)

I think I'll stick to my gammon steak :P

I still can't get over how long it must have taken for that bloke to pass a 6 foot worm!

Bex
29-11-2003, 18:53
best night out i have ever had was in whitby , mind you i nearly got locked up for doing a certain thing down a dark alley , ahhh ******** im off topic again arent i , anyway , i dont care what people say about food i will eat what i want , it might as well be that that kills me :p :p :p

bexy is intrigued now....and i thought u were such a nice boy :naughty: :p

Maggy
29-11-2003, 18:55
Yep! Gross init

http://www.biology.ucok.edu/AnimalBiology/Platyhelminthes/Tapeworm.jpg

Don't think I've got one of them.After all I just keep getting fatter and fatter. :(

Incog.confirmed meat eater who also lurves veggies.

P.S.Funny how those of us who eat meat are constantly bombarded by links and piccies.Can I ask how many posting here are vegetarian?

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 18:55
Yep! Gross init

I always hated pasta anyway. :)

Maggy
29-11-2003, 18:58
I think I'll stick to my gammon steak :P

I still can't get over how long it must have taken for that bloke to pass a 6 foot worm!

Gammon eh? another version of pork which is a forbidden meat to certain religions because of the risk of....tapeworms.

Incog. :)

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 18:58
Incog.confirmed meat eater who also lurves veggies.

You eat vegetarians??? :eek:

Can I ask how many posting here are vegetarian?

Is that so you can go round and eat them? It is isn't it!

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 19:02
Gammon eh? another version of pork which is a forbidden meat to certain religions because of the risk of....tapeworms.

Well in islam it's banned because pigs are omnivours. We naturally don't eat carnivours (when was the last time you bought a lion steak?), pigs being omnivours causes a dilema, should it be eaten or not?
So religion decided and said no :P

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 19:14
Has anyone ever tried kangaroo steak? I've heard it is quite nice.

Oh and before anyone moans, "how could you possibly eat a lovely cuddly kangaroo", well let me tell you that they reach such numbers in the wild that they are a pest and have to be culled anyway.

Bex
29-11-2003, 19:18

Oh and before anyone moans, "how could you possibly eat a lovely cuddly kangaroo", well let me tell you that they reach such numbers in the wild that they are a pest and have to be culled anyway.

i have also heard it is nice, and i read an article that sad they are a nuisance to famrers in oz....

if we are going to do the cute and adorable arguement then surely we shouldnt eat a lot of things, lamb, rabbit (i mean of the animal variety and not any other, those few who will make a comment re a.s. :p) some people think cows are adorable also :erm: and chickens are cute

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 19:33
i have also heard it is nice, and i read an article that sad they are a nuisance to famrers in oz....

if we are going to do the cute and adorable arguement then surely we shouldnt eat a lot of things, lamb, rabbit (i mean of the animal variety and not any other, those few who will make a comment re a.s. :p) some people think cows are adorable also :erm: and chickens are cute

Looks like I'm in for a treat since I've just found out we have one of these near us in middlesbrough ......
http://www.walkaboutinns.com/
Not just kangaroo steak but also crocodile steak is on the menu too :Yikes:

Chimaera
29-11-2003, 19:33

Yep - tried kangaroo, buffalo, alligator, venison and ostrich. :shocked:

The school I used to work at had a 'guess the meat' display at one of the open days and all of the above were on test - the ostrich wasn't bad as I recall!

Xaccers
29-11-2003, 19:34
some people think cows are adorable also :erm: and chickens are cute

Yes, but generally those people live in padded cells :D

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 19:35

whats wrong with cows :bigcry: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Paul
29-11-2003, 19:36
I love fillet steak but I like it very well done - in fact, I'm going out for one tomorrow. :)

Bex
29-11-2003, 19:37

in your opinion :p;)

Looks like I'm in for a treat since I've just found out we have one of these near us in middlesbrough ......
http://www.walkaboutinns.com/
Not just kangaroo steak but also crocodile steak is on the menu too

would actually like to try it......will go there if im ever in middlesbrough :erm:

xaccers u upset paul that not nice...

:ghugs: for paul lol

Chimaera
29-11-2003, 19:38
whats wrong with cows :bigcry: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nothing wrong with cows at all Paul - I had one as a mother-in-law for 16 years!! ;)

Graham
29-11-2003, 19:43
Has anyone ever tried kangaroo steak? I've heard it is quite nice..

Kangaroo is ok if you like strongly flavoured meat, it also tends to need to be well cooked or tenderised or it may be rather tough.

Ostrich is very nice, like fine steak, but bloody expensive!

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 19:44
Nothing wrong with cows at all Paul - I had one as a mother-in-law for 16 years!! ;)

this is getting madder by the minute :p :p :p :p :p

Bex
29-11-2003, 19:45

miaoooowwwwww put those claws away chimmy :p;)
although mother-in-laws are a nightmare :erm:

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 19:51

Them's best cooked well done.

Edit: or minced.

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 19:54

careful :erm: , this has got to be one of the loopiest threads i have seen in a long time :) :) :) :) , cheered me up a treat it has :tu:

Bex
29-11-2003, 19:59

minced definately...and shoved in a freezer for a long time whahahahahaha

paul u needed cheering up? :( you sould have said :naughty: :p

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 20:01
minced definately...and shoved in a freezer for a long time whahahahahaha

paul u needed cheering up? :( you sould have said :naughty: :p

me need cheering up , i did , now i dont , youve already done it :naughty: :p :p :p

Bex
29-11-2003, 20:05
me need cheering up , i did , now i dont , youve already done it :naughty: :p :p :p

shhhh paul u weren't meant to tell anyone about that :naughty: JOKE

but honestly, pleased our weirdness managed to cheer you up...my work here is done :p

Marge
29-11-2003, 20:21
Well we ended up at Burger King, I ordered a Whopper but couldn't eat it so just had a few chips instead :erm: hopefully the Chinese later will bring back my appetite

Maggy
29-11-2003, 20:24
Why do I have a feeling of deja vu? I swear that not long ago I was in a thread where we were talking about the most disgusting things we have eaten i.e. snails and frogs legs.however i can't find it.

Incog. :shrug:

Bex
29-11-2003, 20:24
Well we ended up at Burger King, I ordered a Whopper but couldn't eat it so just had a few chips instead :erm: hopefully the Chinese later will bring back my appetite

wasn't because of the thread was it? :erm:

Bex
29-11-2003, 20:25
Why do I have a feeling of deja vu? I swear that not long ago I was in a thread where we were talking about the most disgusting things we have eaten i.e. snails and frogs legs.however i can't find it.

:erm: yes i remember now...........it was on here....thought for a sec it was on .com but it was a month or so ago on here

Marge
29-11-2003, 20:25
wasn't because of the thread was it? :erm:

Yeah it was actually lol lol, think it was the lettuce thing :sick:

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 20:26
shhhh paul u weren't meant to tell anyone about that :naughty: JOKE

but honestly, pleased our weirdness managed to cheer you up...my work here is done :p

ohhhhhhhhhh dammit i have let the secret out , sorry bex :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

kink
29-11-2003, 20:28

Here you are Coggy.... just for you :)

http://216.40.241.59/forum/showthread.php?t=3541&highlight=snails

Maggy
29-11-2003, 20:33
Here you are Coggy.... just for you :)

http://216.40.241.59/forum/showthread.php?t=3541&highlight=snails

Thankyou! :tu:

I would rep you for going to the effort but I can't.For the usual reason of course. :(

Incog.:D

paulyoung666
29-11-2003, 20:37
Thankyou! :tu:

I would rep you for going to the effort but I can't.For the usual reason of course. :(

Incog.:D

frogs legs taste like chicken except for the little bones :erm: :sick: , sorry :p :p

Flubflow
29-11-2003, 20:38
careful :erm: , this has got to be one of the loopiest threads i have seen in a long time :) :) :) :) , cheered me up a treat it has :tu:

`ere, I'll cheer you up......

Download Failed (1)

For more info and other gems like this, visit....
The British Lard Marketing Board (http://www.zen8595.zen.co.uk/lard/)

Bex
29-11-2003, 20:39
ohhhhhhhhhh dammit i have let the secret out , sorry bex :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

:luv: tis ok huni, this time anyway ;)

Yeah it was actually lol lol, think it was the lettuce thing

oppsi sorry debs.....hope the other person in the "we" managed to eat theirs?! lol

Marge
29-11-2003, 20:45
:luv: tis ok huni, this time anyway ;)

oppsi sorry debs.....hope the other person in the "we" managed to eat theirs?! lol

tis ok, my fault for being a stupid girly and yeah he scoffed both of em :erm: think i'll stick to a liquid diet in future :beer:

Maggy
29-11-2003, 20:47
`ere, I'll cheer you up......

http://www.zen8595.zen.co.uk/lard/images/couple.gif

For more info and other gems like this, visit....
The British Lard Marketing Board (http://www.zen8595.zen.co.uk/lard/)

looks like they drink it too.

Incog.

Bex
29-11-2003, 20:48
tis ok, my fault for being a stupid girly and yeah he scoffed both of em :erm: think i'll stick to a liquid diet in future :beer:

if u are staying with ur friend.....then sounds just like him.....if not then typical bloke ;):p
personally i will be staying clear of lettece for a while also :sick:

Maggy
29-11-2003, 21:08
Unfortunately a steak (rare or otherwise) is out of the question so I'm having to make do with a ham,cheese and tomato sandwich with a glass of red plonk. :sulk:

Incog.:redwine:

Bex
29-11-2003, 21:11
Unfortunately a steak (rare or otherwise) is out of the question so I'm having to make do with a ham,cheese and tomato sandwich with a glass of red plonk. :sulk:

Incog.:redwine:

the wine sounds good, could do with a glass myself

Mal
29-11-2003, 22:29
Okay, what's everyones opinion on blackpudding then? :D

Download Failed (1)

Recipe (http://www.bobjude.co.uk/bobjude/recipes/blackpud.html)

homealone
29-11-2003, 22:30
the wine sounds good, could do with a glass myself

Tesco local promo for "Corbett Canyon" Ruby Cabernet - £9.99 for 3 Litres, complemented by "20% off S.American & Californian wine" - result £7.99 for 3L - about £2 a bottle

- 13% too :drunk:

Bex
29-11-2003, 22:34
Tesco local promo for "Corbett Canyon" Ruby Cabernet - £9.99 for 3 Litres, complemented by "20% off S.American & Californian wine" - result £7.99 for 3L - about £2 a bottle

- 13% too :drunk:

and u didnt offer me any :( :bigcry: :p

black pudding, i know i shouldn't eat it but its yummy :p

homealone
29-11-2003, 22:35

http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/Images/blackpuddings.jpg

Recipe (http://www.bobjude.co.uk/bobjude/recipes/blackpud.html)

I like it Mal, but why is only pigs blood used to make black pudding?

Bex
29-11-2003, 22:38

:erm: cos that's how its made :shrug:

Mal
29-11-2003, 22:39
I don't know.

I love it, but I just have to not think about what's in it when i eat it. :) Or I'll be
:sick: :D

Stuart
29-11-2003, 22:46
I don't know.

I love it, but I just have to not think about what's in it when i eat it. :) Or I'll be
:sick: :DIt's no worse than Guinness...

homealone
29-11-2003, 22:48
:erm: cos that's how its made :shrug:

lol - wot I meant is why isn't there an equivalent cow/sheep product, - you don't get lamb ham, or beef bacon, either - why is that?

Mal
29-11-2003, 23:01
It's no worse than Guinness...
Why? Is Guinness made from blood? :)

Marge
29-11-2003, 23:03
Mal, you been to Bury market at all ?? home of the black pudding as us northern folk know :)

Mal
29-11-2003, 23:06
Mal, you been to Bury market at all ?? home of the black pudding as us northern folk know :)
Oh yes :)

Hmmmm Black Pudding Hmmmmmmmm :drool:

Stuart
29-11-2003, 23:15
Why? Is Guinness made from blood? :)
So I have been told...

I can't find any concrete proof though

Bex
29-11-2003, 23:22
lol - wot I meant is why isn't there an equivalent cow/sheep product, - you don't get lamb ham, or beef bacon, either - why is that?

well ask a silly question, get a silly answer...sorry huni, im in a funny mood tonight....

but it is a good point, but surely ham is definitionally a pork product, as is bacon.......

danielf
29-11-2003, 23:53

I am not a picky eater. I like my steak rare (close to bloody for good quality meat), I love snails, shellfish, mussels etc.

I will try (almost) anything at leat once, but I find black pudding absolutely disgusting. :sick:

greencreeper
30-11-2003, 00:42
Lamb - nice n pink and minty :drool: Cant stand fish or anything sea related :sick: Bones and bits of blood vessels really do it for me - I start gipping and it takes a bit of effort to stop myself from :sick: If I find anything nasty I can't go on eating. Once threw up in BK bag - all over the fries. Bit down on a bone in my burger and that was that :rolleyes: . I remember years ago finding a maggot, perfectly preserved, in a tin of peas and sweetcorn (Mortons) - I now carefully inspect the contents of cans/packets. Can't be too careful :) KFC usually has me running in disgust - chicken legs with all the tendons and what not :disturbd: :sick: All their chicken is strangely juicy :disturbd: Pork is safer now than it was years ago but the old myths still prevail - it's ok for it to be a little under done. Have you seen what goes in black pudding - all the lungs and other unmentionable bits? :disturbd: Oh - and tripe, pigs bag, trotters, pigs cheek, bull knob (seriously) :sick: Just have a look around Leeds indoor market - there's a few stalls that sell the stuff.

Xaccers
30-11-2003, 00:43
Actually you can get beef bacon, we used to get it in Saudi Arabia.

Most differences between animal name and meat name comes from the differences between anglo saxon and norman french.
Anglo Saxons called cows Cu, french colled them bov which became cow and beef

Bex
30-11-2003, 15:04
<snippity snip>Just have a look around Leeds indoor market - there's a few stalls that sell the stuff.

yes they do......:sick: i always tended to stay away from that part of the market unless i really had to venture there....

understand what u mean about finding things in food and not being able to eat it....i can't eat chicken off the bone because i once had a piece which had a small amount of blood type stuff around it.......feel :sick: just thinking about it

homealone
30-11-2003, 15:24
Actually you can get beef bacon, we used to get it in Saudi Arabia.

cool - didn't know that, thanks Xaccers:)

Xaccers
30-11-2003, 15:28
cool - didn't know that, thanks Xaccers:)

Was really nice. It's what they use in the states too.

You can also get veggie backon, which is quite nice.

homealone
30-11-2003, 15:32
Was really nice. It's what they use in the states too.

You can also get veggie backon, which is quite nice.

I've tried the veggie bacon, it is quite nice, but I prefer the real thing. Veggie burgers are ok too, but I didn't like veggie sausages.

Xaccers
30-11-2003, 15:40
I've tried the veggie bacon, it is quite nice, but I prefer the real thing. Veggie burgers are ok too, but I didn't like veggie sausages.

Mum and dad prefer beef bacon, but we've not seen it available here

Tricky
30-11-2003, 15:46
Mum and dad prefer beef bacon, but we've not seen it available here

Tell me that this really doesn't exist?!!

Xaccers
30-11-2003, 15:47

Beef bacon?
It does, like I said, the americans use it alot, so parents were in their element when they went to florida and had it every day for breakfast :)

Flubflow
30-11-2003, 16:28

Veggie meat substitutes always give me really bad gas. :)
Barely have I finished eating it when it starts a bubblin'. :eek:

Maggy
30-11-2003, 16:29
I like black pudding but only the kind without any lumps of fat in it.Gig huge gobbets of fat are disgusting.

I also tend to stear clear of sausages 'cos I'm the ONE person who ALWAYS gets the bits of cartilage in mine.Now that is guaranteed to make me retch. :sick:

Incog. :wavey:

homealone
30-11-2003, 16:33
I like black pudding but only the kind without any lumps of fat in it.Gig huge gobbets of fat are disgusting.

I also tend to stear clear of sausages 'cos I'm the ONE person who ALWAYS gets the bits of cartilage in mine.Now that is guaranteed to make me retch. :sick:

Incog. :wavey:

talking about the lumps of lard in black pudding, made me remember a catering company I worked for once, they used to make 'hand raised' game pies, to simulate truffles they used to mix lard with charcoal & put little lumps of it in the pie.:(

paulyoung666
30-11-2003, 18:31

just google it for the truth is out there :)

Ramrod
30-11-2003, 18:45
Veggie meat substitutes always give me really bad gas. :)
Barely have I finished eating it when it starts a bubblin'. :eek:Quorn especially!:spin:

Xaccers
30-11-2003, 18:58
Quorn especially!:spin:

Mmmmm processed mould, yummy

Shaun
30-11-2003, 19:08
Quorn especially!:spin:

Quorns yummy, I won't make pasta with normal mince now, especially after watching Mike Lehey (sp) on that program!!!

I also like their Quorn fillets too, the ones in herb bread crumbs.

We really need a yummy smiley :idea:

paulyoung666
30-11-2003, 19:18
Mmmmm processed mould, yummy

now you are gonna love this , when i was serving my time i went to the original quorn plant where they produced it , if you ate too much it apparently used to give you gout :erm: , the sis in law lives on the stuff but i dont know how :sick:

iadom
30-11-2003, 19:34
My brother is a Doctor of Microbiology, working at the Central Vet labs in Weybridge. He insists on having his steak blue, so I would guess that it is safe to eat. To be honest, he is an absolute pain in the butt to go for a meal with. He always orders "blue" in the almost certain knowledge that it will not be cooked to his satisfaction, the ensuing rows are a constant annoyance to the rest of the family. He once took issue with the quality of a piece of fillet, waving over his head with his fork, shouting " this beef is full of connective tissue". :D

Tricky
30-11-2003, 19:35
just google it for the truth is out there :)

Eeek - Beef Bacon it really does exist - I would appear to be made from ground fillet of beef (no indication of colour!) with a small (in proportion to beef) amount of bacon which can either be smoked or unsmoked.

From searches it would appear that it is normally served as a patties (burgers) and normally with a slice of cheese and mushrooms.

Found one that sounded even stranger - Turkey Bacon (That's nearly flying pigs!)

Bex
30-11-2003, 19:42
My brother is a Doctor of Microbiology, working at the Central Vet labs in Weybridge. He insists on having his steak blue, so I would guess that it is safe to eat. To be honest, he is an absolute pain in the butt to go for a meal with. He always orders "blue" in the almost certain knowledge that it will not be cooked to his satisfaction, the ensuing rows are a constant annoyance to the rest of the family. He once took issue with the quality of a piece of fillet, waving over his head with his fork, shouting " this beef is full of connective tissue". :D

i thought the vet labs was in new haw but nm....

my dad has a tendency to argue if his food is not how he ordered it, terribly :blush: when he has a go at them about it, he used to be on first name basis with the manager of maccy d's :rofl:

iadom
30-11-2003, 19:59

my dad has a tendency to argue if his food is not how he ordered it, terribly :blush: when he has a go at them about it, he used to be on first name basis with the manager of maccy d's :rofl:Yes it is in Newhaw, but that comes under Weybridge and the CVL's address was always given as Weybridge. If I was almost 99% certain that I was not going to have my steak cooked to the extreme that my brother demands, I wouldn't bother and would cook it myself. My brother is an argumentative little sod though.:(

Bex
30-11-2003, 20:38
Yes it is in Newhaw, but that comes under Weybridge and the CVL's address was always given as Weybridge. If I was almost 99% certain that I was not going to have my steak cooked to the extreme that my brother demands, I wouldn't bother and would cook it myself. My brother is an argumentative little sod though.:(

ahh ok, it confused me, because i thought they had moved it without me noticing :LOL:

i know one should stick up for their rights, but when you are ordering things just because you know that they are going to do it wrong and then you can argue with it...well....i don't see the point :shrug: order soemthing easier and don't ruin the meal for everyone else

Maggy
30-11-2003, 20:40
Does he make a fuss about howe badly cooked his veggies are? I reckon this is where most restaurants go wrong.Nothing worse than badly cooked vegetables.

Incog.:)

Bex
30-11-2003, 21:14
Does he make a fuss about howe badly cooked his veggies are? I reckon this is where most restaurants go wrong.Nothing worse than badly cooked vegetables.

and badly cooked pasta......i never order pasta unless i am in a proper italian restuarant........i hate soggy pasta, it makes me retch :sick:

paulyoung666
30-11-2003, 21:16
and badly cooked pasta......i never order pasta unless i am in a proper italian restuarant........i hate soggy pasta, it makes me retch :sick:

so for you it must be al-dente then , i must admit i dont care as long as its pasta as i love the stuff to death :) :) :)

Bex
30-11-2003, 21:24
so for you it must be al-dente then , i must admit i dont care as long as its pasta as i love the stuff to death :) :) :)

well yes pretty much, the way that italians seem to have pasta.....i don't do soggy food at all, dont eat cereal....dont have sandwiches which make the bread soggy...... must stop thinking about it mkaing me feel ill

paulyoung666
30-11-2003, 21:27
well yes pretty much, the way that italians seem to have pasta.....i don't do soggy food at all, dont eat cereal....dont have sandwiches which make the bread soggy...... must stop thinking about it mkaing me feel ill

:ghugs: make you better , dont feel ill :D

Bex
30-11-2003, 21:29
:ghugs: make you better , dont feel ill :D

awww thank you huni :luv:

cjmillsnun
02-12-2003, 18:19

Incog. :) Not caught anything in 40 years of eating blue steak by the way.

Nothing wrong with a blue steak!

Flubflow
02-12-2003, 18:30
now you are gonna love this , when i was serving my time i went to the original quorn plant where they produced it , if you ate too much it apparently used to give you gout :erm: , the sis in law lives on the stuff but i dont know how :sick:

I think Quorn is not approved in the US (not sure, I'll have to check). Apparently there is some fuss over it causing allergic reactions. Quorn say that it is a tiny fraction and no more than any other food what does not require a warning on the packet (i.e. a lot less than a nut allergy).
Personally, I think the US are just frightened that it might become popular and make a dent in their growth hormone infested meat sales. ;-)
The only real danger of Quorn is possibly the excessive amount of methane produced by those who eat it ;-).

MetaWraith
02-12-2003, 21:08

Absolutely, i think some just wave the veggies at the pan and that's that.

Nice tender steak, you take a bite of some underdone sprouts or broccoli,and it's very off putting.

Maggy
02-12-2003, 21:13
Absolutely, i think some just wave the veggies at the pan and that's that.

Nice tender steak, you take a bite of some underdone sprouts or broccoli,and it's very off putting.

however overdone veg are just as bad!yuk!:no:

Incog. :rudo:

Ramrod
02-12-2003, 22:06

my dad has a tendency to argue if his food is not how he ordered it, terribly :blush: when he has a go at them about it, he used to be on first name basis with the manager of maccy d's :rofl:
He would complain about mcdonalds food???! :disturbd:

You might as well complain about the quality of your pot noodle!
I can just see it:'Excuse me. This sh*t disguised as food that I just bought....it's not up to your usual (below average) standards so I thought I'd complain....'

*runs for cover* :D

greencreeper
03-12-2003, 22:02
Did you see tonight's programme on parasites on BBC1 - at 9pm? :eek: Drown your cats and cook that steak well. Toxoplasmosis: frightening that a parasite can alter our behaviour to the extent that we are more likely to take risks - and have accidents.

homealone
03-12-2003, 22:11
ok, don't take this as 'kosher' but I've just watched the programme about parasites on BBC1 - this relates to one of the things it alleged

Mental manipulation

This may not be the only parasite that changes the human body to make it easier to survive. And not all those changes may have potentially beneficial side-effects.

Cats are carriers of the toxoplasma parasite
Some may have developed an extraordinary power to manipulate behaviour.

One third of Britons carry the toxoplasma parasite in their brain.

Its natural home is the cat and it's spread in cats' faeces. It can be picked up by any mammal, from rats to cattle. The main way we get it is by eating undercooked meat (which is why 80% of the French are estimated to have it, with their love of rare meat).

Once we have it we have it for life, there's no way we can get rid of it.

Research shows it somehow manipulates rats' behaviour - it makes rats attracted to cats - their natural predator, so they're more likely to be eaten by a cat and the parasite can complete its life cycle.

For years scientists thought it had no effect on our behaviour, but now the parasite's changing their minds. Recent research suggests that people with toxyplasma have slower reaction times than those without and are also more than twice as likely to be involved in a traffic accident than those who aren't carrying the parasite.

the programme alleged that people affected were more inclined to take risks, which coupled with the delayed reaction time, made them more vulnerable, when driving.

:shrug::scratch:

<edit> it's my typing speed, not my reaction time, honest guv. Nice one greencreeper:)

greencreeper
03-12-2003, 22:18
<edit> it's my typing speed, not my reaction time, honest guv. Nice one greencreeper:)

Someone keep an eye on him when he's crossing the road :D

Theodoric
03-12-2003, 22:20
Just don't eat raw minced beef then, that normally contains tapeworm eggs.
But not steak tartare; I believe that you have to use very high quality steak for that particular dish.

homealone
03-12-2003, 22:54
Someone keep an eye on him when he's crossing the road :D

I'm still getting used to the variofocals, as well - you are prolly right:D

- @ Theodoric - the figures quoted for French people would seem to damn steak tartare, whatever the quality of the beef? - & might explain the driving;)

purenuman
04-12-2003, 00:10
But not steak tartare; I believe that you have to use very high quality steak for that particular dish.
Errm human tapeworm infestations have nothing to do with cheap or minced meat etc. You are more likely to get one from a undercooked very expensive steak than properly cooked mince meat.

Humans do not get tapeworms from eating the intestine but from the animals muscles i.e. meat.

Flubflow
04-12-2003, 02:22
He would complain about mcdonalds food???! :disturbd:

You might as well complain about the quality of your pot noodle!
I can just see it:'Excuse me. This sh*t disguised as food that I just bought....it's not up to your usual (below average) standards so I thought I'd complain....'

*runs for cover* :D

Yes you have to be careful and very selective about the kind of restaurants where you complain. The quality of chefs spittle and bogies in your replacement meal does tend to vary considerably. :D