PDA

View Full Version : New Releases (Sequels)

Barewolf
06-05-2006, 23:38
Ok so heres a question. When are we going to see the sequels to some of the top movies of all time?
We have Superman coming out in Summer and it looks good but what about sequels to the other goodies like....
Indipendence Day
K-Pax
E.T
Planet of the Apes
Close Encounters
Fargo
Dr Who

Stephen
06-05-2006, 23:56
Most of those films wouldn't really suit a sequel they were written with a single fim in mind. Dr who is a TV series and its still being made so a movie wouldn't work. The 2 movies made in 60's were just big budget remakes of existing stories.

As most of those were great movies and its been years since they were released I don't think it would be right if they suddenly brought out a sequel eg E.T 2 or Close Encounters 2 it just wouldn't be right.

kronas
07-05-2006, 00:12
what about robocop!

Barewolf
07-05-2006, 00:19
Most of those films wouldn't really suit a sequel they were written with a single fim in mind. Dr who is a TV series and its still being made so a movie wouldn't work. The 2 movies made in 60's were just big budget remakes of existing stories.

As most of those were great movies and its been years since they were released I don't think it would be right if they suddenly brought out a sequel eg E.T 2 or Close Encounters 2 it just wouldn't be right.

but they said their would be sequels to them, ET 2 was supposed to be planned years ago, same with Indipendence day 2.

I think those 2 films deserve a sequel, and k-pax ended with a sequel in mind

zing_deleted
07-05-2006, 00:47
I would like to see the explaination for the ending of Planet of the apes

bopdude
07-05-2006, 00:56

You / we saw it, on the beach...................... you damned idiots, you did it .........gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :shrug: we did it, we pushed the button. :rolleyes: :D

zing_deleted
07-05-2006, 01:04
I ment the new one lollol

bopdude
07-05-2006, 01:08

:dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce: :erm: new ????

Stuart
07-05-2006, 01:23
what about robocop!

There were two sequels and a TV series.

---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

:dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce: :erm: new ????

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0133152/

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

The thing is, I don't think a sequel would work, either for Inpendance Day or ET. It would just be more of the same.

I think that the films that are ideal for sequels are those that are about characters, rather than specific events. The Harry Potter films for instance, are basically about Harry, Hermione and Ron and what happens to them each year. ET is about a boy meeting an alien, and their attempts to evade the authorities. What would the sequel be about? ET comes back and gets stranded again?

Similarly, Independance day is about the invasion of earth by aliens, and how we fight back. Would the sequel just be the Aliens invading again?

Barewolf
07-05-2006, 01:38
Well the Et could be coming back to take the now older boy to his planet or to make peace with Earth and he might be kidnapped etc.

or indipendence day 2 could be a mass war on earth after the last one failed.

I wish i had access to the apparent story for the sequels

Tezcatlipoca
07-05-2006, 13:55
what about robocop!

There's already been a Robocop 2, Robocop 3, Robocop TV series, Robocop TV movies, & a Robocop cartoon.

All were crap, although no.2 wasn't as bad as the rest.

IIRC, the studio made Burton tack on that pointless & confusing ending.

Caff
07-05-2006, 14:55
Sorry, sloppy female here :p:

But - 'Love Story' - I mean, what did he do after that?

And 'It's A Wonderful Life' -well, it was only half through...

'Rebecca'...

zing_deleted
07-05-2006, 15:20
He prob went out the hospital and shot himself ;)

ZrByte
07-05-2006, 15:35
There were two sequels and a TV series.

---------- Post added at 00:16 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0133152/

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

The thing is, I don't think a sequel would work, either for Inpendance Day or ET. It would just be more of the same.

I think that the films that are ideal for sequels are those that are about characters, rather than specific events. The Harry Potter films for instance, are basically about Harry, Hermione and Ron and what happens to them each year. ET is about a boy meeting an alien, and their attempts to evade the authorities. What would the sequel be about? ET comes back and gets stranded again?

Similarly, Independance day is about the invasion of earth by aliens, and how we fight back. Would the sequel just be the Aliens invading again?

IIRC one of the planned stories for Independance day, wich was to be titled frontier. Was to be set in our not too distant future, where we have started to colonize space (Using a lot of reverse enginered alien tech). We stumble upon the aliens original homeworld wich allthough has been mostly abandoned due to the aliens nomadic nature is still a stronghold. The aliens discover that we resisted and thus survived making us a bigger threat than ever and recall all of thier nomad ships to destroy humanity for good. This basicly sounds like more of the same to me but on a much larger scale and on a much more conventional SciFi plot (i.e. large battles in space).
While I think this might be a leave your brain at home type of movie I think it could be enjoyable. Though that was one of I think four different scripts planned for a sequel and this was just after ID4 had been released so there may well be more potential scripts out there now.

Caff
07-05-2006, 15:40
And there was me being serious...:D
Zinglebarb - he mourned for a VERY long time and then found someone, and then someone else, and lived happily ever after. Or............. not.

I want the sequel!!!!

Damien
08-05-2006, 20:10
Titanic 2! :disturbd:

Stuart
08-05-2006, 20:20
My favourite answer to a question from James Cameron. Apparently, an exec at 20th Century Fox saw Titanic and asked for a sequel. James' reply was "What do you want me to do? Bring the boat back up?", or words to that effect.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

If ever a film deserved a sequel, it's the original Italian Job. Apparently the reason it ends like it does is they were setting the story up for a sequel, which they never got funding for.

denphone
22-04-2016, 09:59
Here is the new trailer for the sequel following up from Independence Day.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/trailers/news/a791561/independence-day-resurgence-explosive-new-trailer/

Hugh
22-04-2016, 11:08
Is this a record?

(a just under 10 year bump...)

denphone
22-04-2016, 11:18
l never realised that as one can be a bit docile at times.:D

Scary
22-04-2016, 16:46
i will go see independence day 2 only to see what the writers have done with it as they are the ones who are doing the new stargate movies

Hugh
23-05-2016, 19:43
4 minute trailer for Independence Day 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCe_JshWOZ0

General Maximus
23-05-2016, 22:55
I think I was 15 when the first one came out. I can remember getting the trailer as featured content on the cd which came with a pc mag at the time, I think it was something like PC Gamer. It was as pixely as hell and could only have been 100x100. I was so excited at the time and I even changed my Windows logon (win95) to Captain Steven Hiller. It was an awesome film. Sadly I don't think this one is going to live up to expectations. The trailer makes it look like a great scifi action film but atm it does look very Independence Day-y to me. I would love them to prove me wrong though. I am still dying to see it and I am hoping they do a midnight premiere for it.