PDA

View Full Version : Premier League Football

Downloads
05-05-2006, 17:37
So Sky won only 4 of the 6 Premier League packages available, how do we all feel about this?

Setenta won the other 2 packages which will no doubt go on their current channels. Anyone for Scottish football?

Anyone know who won the much sought after package 'A'?

nintendo
05-05-2006, 18:37
:mad: I am so angry it didnt go to a free to air channel!!!:mad:

jellybaby
05-05-2006, 18:44
:mad: I am so angry it didnt go to a free to air channel!!!:mad:

I'm glad it didn't.

Sky have invested heavily into football, and got the nation in a football loving country again :)

I hope they continue to get the games personally

nintendo
05-05-2006, 18:50
Sky have invested heavily into football, and got the nation in a football loving country again :)

ah , but the country would be more football loving if they could watch it for free though.

homealone
05-05-2006, 18:58
I'm glad it didn't.

sorry, I disagree, in my opinion they have helped turn Football into an elitist sport, with too many foreign players & ticket prices that are daylight robbery.

I refuse to pay to watch football on TV, so in my personal experience it has totally turned me off the game.

gazzae
05-05-2006, 19:09
When the EC poked their nose in it was supposedly for the good of the consumer. I can't see how having to pay more money on subscriptions is good for us.

nintendo
05-05-2006, 19:15
When the EC poked their nose in it was supposedly for the good of the consumer. I can't see how having to pay more money on subscriptions is good for us.

:dunce:ditto :dunce:

skyblueheroes
05-05-2006, 20:06
I refuse to pay to watch football on TV, so in my personal experience it has totally turned me off the game.

Its the way its been from 92 and will be in the future, so unlucky, you're missing out :)

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

I'm glad it didn't.

Agree 100%.

Mal
05-05-2006, 20:45
So now, if we want to watch the majority of the Premier League, we will now have to pay for Skysports, Pay per view (Old PremPlus) and now Setanta. How is that good for the consumer? Because no doubt your favourite team will appear on all 3 (unless you want an excuse to goto the pub ;) ).

I seriously doubt that Skysports will get a reduction in price, as that is a general sports channel and Premplus was one of the packages anyway.

It wasn't like Sky was doing a bad job either. Gits! :mad:

Druchii
05-05-2006, 20:45
Yay, more football i won't be watching :)

TheDaddy
08-05-2006, 13:32
A mate just told me that the prize money for the bottom team is going to be the equivalent to the current turnover for some middle sized clubs, that's around £80,000 ,000, I am presuming that this includes the money that the clubs are given at the start of the season for the actual t.v. rights. However this does not include the money yet to be secured for the foreign t.v. rights. It has got me thinking obviousley as football clubs are now run as businesses they will not be putting the price's down, what are they going to do with all this extra cash, will they use it on behalf of fans or just give it to unscrupulous agent's and ever more mercenary player's, either way it makes the fight against relegation more interesting.

gazzae
08-05-2006, 14:52
Teams will get around £40 million from the new TV deal. Relegated teams also get a parachute payment.

As for actual prize money, the team finishing last in the premiership gets less than half a million

TheDaddy
08-05-2006, 14:59
Teams will get around £40 million from the new TV deal. Relegated teams also get a parachute payment.

As for actual prize money, the team finishing last in the premiership gets less than half a million

Really, that is interesting because the figures did seem a bit wild to me, however when I asked him where he had heard this he said it was on 5 Live, he also said he was being conservative with the figures, so goodness knows what they were bandying around.

gazzae
08-05-2006, 15:03
Really, that is interesting because the figures did seem a bit wild to me, however when I asked him where he had heard this he said it was on 5 Live, he also said he was being conservative with the figures, so goodness knows what they were bandying around.

I said around £40mil its at least that - 50% of the total tv money / 20. 25% is then distributed by how many times you appear on TV and then 25% is prize money.

The prize money ranges from £484,96 1 for finishing last to £9,669, 220 for winning it.

ian@huth
09-05-2006, 10:04
So now, if we want to watch the majority of the Premier League, we will now have to pay for Skysports, Pay per view (Old PremPlus) and now Setanta. How is that good for the consumer? Because no doubt your favourite team will appear on all 3 (unless you want an excuse to goto the pub ;) ).

I seriously doubt that Skysports will get a reduction in price, as that is a general sports channel and Premplus was one of the packages anyway.

It wasn't like Sky was doing a bad job either. Gits! :mad:Sky and Setanta have done a deal whereby Sky subscribers won't have to fork out any more cash to watch the games that Setanta have the rights to. http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0509/setanta.html http://www.football365.com/news/story_184931.shtml

Mal
09-05-2006, 10:17
Sky and Setanta have done a deal whereby Sky subscribers won't have to fork out any more cash to watch the games that Setanta have the rights to. http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0509/setanta.html http://www.football365.com/news/story_184931.shtml

At the moment, it appears to be just pubs and clubs, hopefully this will change.
The two successful bidders in the Premiership television rights auction joined forces on Tuesday to ensure all matches can be shown in pubs and clubs.

As well as ensuring Sky's commercial customers receive matches won by Setanta without the need for a separate subscription, the pair are looking at making the Irish firm's coverage available to residential users on the Sky platform.

Also it mentions BskyB subscription. Does this mean just people who have Sky or will it include subscription to skysports via ntl?

ian@huth
09-05-2006, 10:36
Also it mentions BskyB subscription. Does this mean just people who have Sky or will it include subscription to skysports via ntl?That's what I was wondering. I assume that any deal between the two involves some reward to Setanta for allowing Sky to show their matches. Sky would be looking for some advantage to themselves for whatever this costs. Perhaps they will only make the Setanta matches available via the red button in order to exclude cable customers and increase their chances of gaining new customers. With the high subscription charges for Setanta it makes you wonder why they would allow Sky customers free access to their matches instead of excluding them and hopefully winning new customers.