PDA

View Full Version : Installation - where's best & what can I ask?

SN2600
28-04-2006, 19:41
'Scuse what might be a daft question, but can you ask for cable (NTL) BB to be plumbed to a particular point, within reason, or will it just be terminated where it comes through the wall? Is there any advantage / disadvantage in getting it fitted to a specific location?

We're in a typical Edwardian terrace house - two up two down, extension at the back, loft conversion. Plan is to use the loft as a day-to-day living room / office, middle room downstairs as a living room, with wireless & ethernet. I'm hoping the wireless signal won't be too bad throughout the house, as we can detect the guy over the road's network, albeit with a fairly weak signal. If we can pick where we want the termination, best options might be in the loft, middle room, or a central point (under the stairs?). Anyone any feelings / opinions / experience?

Thanks for your help.

MovedGoalPosts
28-04-2006, 19:47
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

Within reason the cable can be run anywhere, but as it won't normally be concealed so it's tacked to skirtings and the like think about how it might look. Essentially a cable will be buried in a shallow (hopefully spade depth) slit through your garden to a box on the outside of your house. From there a cable will be run to whever you have your modem fitted. The cable can run up an external wall before coming into your house.

A central location could be best, wireless can have a good range yet walls and electric appliances can degrade the signal. Thus first floor could be good for maximum wirless coverage of the house. Remember that just because you locate the modem in one spot doesn't mean that your router has to be next to the modem. You can run a long ethernet cable between a router and the modem (although that might add to unslightly wires).

SN2600
28-04-2006, 20:09
Cheers for the welcome, Rob, and thanks for the swift reply.

I suppose it's the appearance of things I'm thinking about really, and the location of the cable termination and modem rather than the router, for reasons you mention. We're in the process of doing the house up, so want to get things set up to suit the house as it will be. I'd like to avoid unsightly wires if possible; if the modem's in the loft the cable can run up the outside and straight in to a fairly good location; if it's downstairs, running it under the floorboards would be better - they're all loose and there's no floor coverings, but I wasn't sure what the installer might consider taking the :shocked: , and if I need to make sure access is clear I want to do it ahead of time.

What form does the internal cable termination take, and is the modem hardwired to it, or plugged in?

Matthew
28-04-2006, 20:13
Just keep the installer supplied with tea and biscuits and offer a hand and you might be get everything how you want it.

homealone
28-04-2006, 20:32
Please don't take this as 'gospel' , but I believe what has been acceptable to installers is for clients to lay conduit for any cable runs that need to go under floorboards, etc, provided a suitable 'pull through' is provided, of course. ;)

- reason I say this, is that I am not sure about how they deal with installations above the first floor, so direct into the loft may be a problem, I'm happy to be wrong on that, though. :)

The internal cable termination is a small box on the wall, the modem is connected to that with a length of coax cable, which can be as long or short as you like...

MovedGoalPosts
28-04-2006, 20:37
Health and Safety issues may limit the height at which the installer can run cables outside a building. It's one thing getting a cable up to the first floor level, but another big step in risk terms getting up to a second floor.

If things are accessible internally running a cable in the floor may be practical, but think about which way the joists run. If they are at right angles to the cable route the installer will probably be unwilling to drill through each joist.

The modem itself will be detachable from the cable by means of a screw on fitting secured on the cable. you wont be able to remove the fitting from the cable, and you shouldn't make a habit of unscrewing it from the modem.

SN2600
28-04-2006, 21:19
Health and Safety issues may limit the height at which the installer can run cables outside a building. It's one thing getting a cable up to the first floor level, but another big step in risk terms getting up to a second floor.

Good point, particularly now Working at Heights regs are in.

If things are accessible internally running a cable in the floor may be practical, but think about which way the joists run. If they are at right angles to the cable route the installer will probably be unwilling to drill through each joist.

If he's OK with going to that extent, this shouldn't be a problem, as on the ground floor the cable could go under the joists.

The modem itself will be detachable from the cable by means of a screw on fitting secured on the cable. you wont be able to remove the fitting from the cable, and you shouldn't make a habit of unscrewing it from the modem.

From which I take it that once installed, you're pretty much tied to the length of internal cable you're supplied with, and you're probably not really supposed to mess about with anything between the outside wallbox and the modem?

DaggaDagga
28-04-2006, 21:33
I had NTL broadband and phone installed recently in a bungalow. I wanted it to be as invisible as possible. We did a lovely job, between us.

I've got the cable going across the front garden border, in a green plastic tube which I'll bury later. It then goes to the side of the building, where the external box is just above ground level. It then goes up the side of the building straight into the roof.

It goes around the edge of the loft void, around the edge of the loft room, and drops down to the modem which is at the other end of the downstairs.

The NTL chaps told me that they couldn't go in a loft unless it's boarded and walkable. I just have a very small crawl space on joists. I went into the loft void, grabbed the end of the cable from them and pulled it through. Then I passed it down to them where the modem is, and they did all the connecting.

It all worked a treat, and it was pretty quick. I had no problem with crawling through the loft for them. You have to remember it's free fitting, and they only have a certain allocated time per house.

If you want anything weird doing then be prepared to get your overalls on, and don't hold them up.

homealone
28-04-2006, 22:10
I had NTL broadband and phone installed recently in a bungalow

the point I was trying to make is that the new working at height regulations may mean a 2 up roof installation to a loft, may be a different matter than to a bungalow, but I do not know for sure - well done you for the cable laying, though :tu:

SN2600
30-04-2006, 20:12
Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm a 'hands on' engineer by trade, and doing all the work on the house, so mucking in isn't a problem!

Looking at other houses on the street, the NTL boxes are normally fitted to the front wall on the opposite side of the bay to the front door.

If I can get the guy to run the cable straight through the wall into the front room, and leave plenty of spare on the cable, I can run it to whichever of the downstairs locations works out best when I'm doing the floors anyway - assuming it'll be OK to disconnect & reconnect the modem once. Anyone see any problems with that?

DaggaDagga
30-04-2006, 21:27
Sounds fine to me. You're not supposed to touch the cable side of the modem, but I guess this is a case where common sense should prevail. As long as you're not doing any actual cabling then hopefully not a problem. I don't think NTL employ traffic wardens.

They were pretty generous with the cable on mine. When he was feeding it to me in the loft he said something about "don't care, it's not my cable".

I guess if it's too long then it will just end up a bit coiled under your floor after you've finished smashing the floor up.

spike7451
01-05-2006, 20:19
the point I was trying to make is that the new working at height regulations may mean a 2 up roof installation to a loft, may be a different matter than to a bungalow, but I do not know for sure - well done you for the cable laying, though :tu:

What I used to do in those instances is drill my hole out & feed the cable out from the top floor to the ground level.lip the cable as high up as i was allowed & then it's up to the customer to get the rest clipped & seal up the hole.
Simple!:tu::Yikes:;)

SN2600
20-05-2006, 17:04
Well it all went pretty much as planned, inside at least. :tu:

Installers turned up and asked where the computer was; I told them the situation and what I had planned ("If I can get the guy to run the cable straight through the wall into the front room, and leave plenty of spare on the cable, I can run it to whichever of the downstairs locations works out best when I'm doing the floors anyway..."), and they were quite happy to go along with it. We ran out enough cable to run from the point where it came through the wall to the furthest point I might want to reach (don't forget to allow for indirect routing!), and looped it up for later use. The only glitch was that I hadn't realised that they'd want to install a small box on the inside, where the cable comes through the wall, to hold a surge protector; after a quick discussion he agreed to leave a bit of extra cable and leave the box free so I could put it underfloor later. The only thing he did say was if the supervisor came round to tell him I'd asked for it to be left like that so they didn't get a ticking off!

Unfortunately, the outside installation wasn't near as well done :td: ; box hanging off the wall on one screw, hole not sealed, cable protector 'glued' on to the wall with silicone sealant, and cable not buried properly with not enough length so it can be buried. :mad:

Just debating whether to have a go or not...

Graham M
20-05-2006, 17:12
Just debating whether to have a go or not...

I would if thats any help :)