PDA

View Full Version : New England Manager

Orior
24-04-2006, 13:19
What a fickle lot you Anglos are.

Steve McLaren wins a few games in Europe and is top of the picking list. His best Middlesborough defender says he should not be made manager. He looses an FA semi and the first leg Euro semi. So now he's now in second spot for the job.

Worst of all, you let the gutter press hound the best managers out of the job. I look forward to the next prune getting hounded out.

orangebird
24-04-2006, 13:44
What a fickle lot you Anglos are.

Steve McLaren wins a few games in Europe and is top of the picking list. His best Middlesborough defender says he should not be made manager. He looses an FA semi and the first leg Euro semi. So now he's now in second spot for the job.

Worst of all, you let the gutter press hound the best managers out of the job. I look forward to the next prune getting hounded out.

I've never been in favour of McLaren to get the job. In my ideal world, El Tel should have the job back. If not, Alan Shearer would be a top choice. But we'll probably end up with another bloody foreigner...which I think for our nationla side, is plain wrong-diddly-wrong wrong.

Stuart
24-04-2006, 13:48
It's obvious why the England players should be English (or at least be connected to England), but I've alway wondered why that rule does not apply to managers.

Orior
24-04-2006, 14:05
but I've alway wondered why that rule does not apply to managers.

The current crop arent good enough, so it would be a little hasty introducing such a rule at this point in time.

You should have went for O'Neill. Afterall, England has been plundering Ireland for over 700 years and one more steal of our national treasures would hardly make a difference ;)

Chris
24-04-2006, 14:12
The current crop arent good enough, so it would be a little hasty introducing such a rule at this point in time.

You should have went for O'Neill. Afterall, England has been plundering Ireland for over 700 years and one more steal of our national treasures would hardly make a difference ;)

Absolutely. And in return, we let you compose the Republic and Northern Ireland sides out of the wannabees who aren't quite good enough to play for a real national team. Thank goodness for the 'one grandparent' rule, eh? ;)

pedantic
24-04-2006, 14:14
Absolutely. And in return, we let you compose the Republic and Northern Ireland sides out of the wannabees who aren't quite good enough to play for a real national team. Thank goodness for the 'one grandparent' rule, eh? ;)

:LOL:

skyblueheroes
24-04-2006, 14:44
Terry Venables and Alan Shearer are non-starters. One if over the hill and the other is too inexperienced.

I'd go for Big Sam !

nffc
24-04-2006, 16:07
Scolari.

Orior
24-04-2006, 16:16

Agreed. Though its such a pity that some of those grandparents didnt exercise safe sex. And I wont name names, because that would be unfair on the likes of Casarino and Morrison. Whoops.

STONEISLAND
24-04-2006, 16:21
Terry Venables and Alan Shearer are non-starters. One if over the hill and the other is too inexperienced.

I'd go for Big Sam !

ditto.

gazzae
24-04-2006, 16:26

Northern Ireland 1 - 0 England

STONEISLAND
24-04-2006, 16:29
Northern Ireland 1 - 0 England

England are in the world cup. :) Ireland are not. :rofl:

gazzae
24-04-2006, 16:57
Where you will fail miserably as usual I imagine. Our world cup record isn't bad, the smallest nation ever to reach the quarter finals.

What was it like to be beaten by a country with a population a million less than Greater Manchester?

Nugget
24-04-2006, 17:00
Where you will fail miserably as usual I imagine. Our world cup record isn't bad, the smallest nation ever to reach the quarter finals.

What was it like to be beaten by a country with a population a million less than Greater Manchester?

Dunno - s'pose we should ask Scotland about those Faroe Islands games ;)

Acathla
24-04-2006, 17:04
Dunno - s'pose we should ask Scotland about those Faroe Islands games ;)

dont remember ever being beaten by the faroe islands - forgive me if I am wrong...

Neil
25-04-2006, 15:20
BREAKING NEWS - England in shock Souness announcement.

Graham Souness has been confirmed as the new manager of England.

Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk.sport.football.england.240420065541 234518566278as1330921saa112188888888888888.thehole .co.uk/4938326.stm.htm).

orangebird
25-04-2006, 15:41
Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk.sport.football.england.240420065541 234518566278as1330921saa112188888888888888.thehole .co.uk/4938326.stm.htm).

Is that a wind-up?

Chris
25-04-2006, 15:43

I smell sh1tâ ¡Ã‚¬. :D

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Is that a wind-up?

Have a look at the full URL. ;)

orangebird
25-04-2006, 15:45
I smell sh1tâ ¡Ã‚¬. :D

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Have a look at the full URL. ;)

I wouldn't know the difference... :shrug: Just hope it's not true!

nffc
25-04-2006, 15:46
Could be worse, they could have gone for Meg*on.

sherer
25-04-2006, 16:20
trying to get this back on topic

i've no problem with us getting a foreign manager as long as we get the right one.. Sven never had a clue about football right from the start and after he was shown to be clueless and tried to get another job we then offered him a new contract with so much money it was impossible to get rid of him :Yikes: :Yikes:

with the quality of players we have they have only got as far as they have if they had no manager and just made up their own tactics

the problem at the moment is that Curbs, Sam, McLaren won't ever get the chance to manage at Man U, Chelsea or world class level therefore when they setup up to managing England the gulf between that and managing Bolton is too big

Nugget
25-04-2006, 16:55
trying to get this back on topic

i've no problem with us getting a foreign manager as long as we get the right one.. Sven never had a clue about football right from the start and after he was shown to be clueless and tried to get another job we then offered him a new contract with so much money it was impossible to get rid of him :Yikes: :Yikes:

with the quality of players we have they have only got as far as they have if they had no manager and just made up their own tactics

the problem at the moment is that Curbs, Sam, McLaren won't ever get the chance to manage at Man U, Chelsea or world class level therefore when they setup up to managing England the gulf between that and managing Bolton is too big

Having said that, if you bear in mind that the current starting eleven for England basically picks itself, it doesn't really matter who the manager is at the moment - England should(!) only have issues if key players get injured.

I'd have absolutely no problem with Scolari being England manager - he's a proven winner, and even managed to get Portugal to a final!

TheBlueRaja
25-04-2006, 18:32
Martin O'neill is overrated IMO, a good manager of Celtic does not necesserally make a good manager outwith Scotland, same goes for their equally bigotted friends, Rangers.

Achievments of OF managers are pretty unimportant, Alex Mcleish won more trophies than he did and got Rangers to the last 16 in Europe - and he's a great manager, honestly :dozey:

pedantic
25-04-2006, 18:46
Martin O'neill is overrated IMO, a good manager of Celtic does not necesserally make a good manager outwith Scotland, same goes for their equally bigotted friends, Rangers.

Achievments of OF managers are pretty unimportant, Alex Mcleish won more trophies than he did and got Rangers to the last 16 in Europe - and he's a great manager, honestly :dozey:

He did take Wycombe out of the conference though, and another promotion after that. And also took Leicester to the premiership, and won the league cup. All this was done on very limited funds.

TheBlueRaja
26-04-2006, 11:53
He did take Wycombe out of the conference though, and another promotion after that. And also took Leicester to the premiership, and won the league cup. All this was done on very limited funds.

A fair point, but my point was that as a manager of Celtic or Rangers with big funding and little domestic competition that its not really hard to do well.

Damien
27-04-2006, 00:06
They have offered the job to Scolari

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4949118.stm

yesman
27-04-2006, 00:15
They have offered the job to Scolari

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4949118.stm

I am surprised, I thought McClaren was a dead cert :shrug:

sir_drinks_alot
27-04-2006, 01:26
the next England Manager should be the best person able to do the job Shouldn’t matter if he's English or not just as long as thay do the job to the best of there ability that's all that matter at the end of the day.

Timeless Stew
27-04-2006, 05:42
Never mind that Scolari ain't a pome. Berwick has a shadow of a moustache but Scolari has a proper one. Coincidence? no, I say...

Russ
27-04-2006, 07:29
Does it really matter? Whoever gets the job he'll be hailed as the new footballing messiah who'll be "the one who leads us to World Cup glory" and after a few good results will be untouchable for a month or two then after England get beaten by some tinpot third world country the press wil turn on him. Throw in the odd scandal about a sexual indiscretion or misplaced comment about a minority and then the whole country will be against him, the FA will then label his position 'untenable' and we'll be right back to square one :D

sherer
27-04-2006, 10:28
out of all of the choices it looks like they might have made the right one.. not sure on what is knowledge of English football is like though..

anyone know why he left Brasil after winning the WC ?

they mave have gone foreign again but at least they time it's someone who is actualyl good.. although those comments could come back to haunt me later on in the year :-)

now that we have a World Cup winning manager there will be extra pressure and as Russ said at the minute he will be hailed as the new saviour until we loose

Russ
27-04-2006, 10:42
I'm sure I've seen that moustache before somewhere. Didn't it appear in the Will Young video where he lampoons Top Gun?

Nugget
27-04-2006, 10:42
I'm sure I've seen that moustache before somewhere. Didn't it appear in the Will Young video where he lampoons Top Gun?

Yeah - it was one of the planes in the background :D

Saaf_laandon_mo
27-04-2006, 11:20
Big Phil has won the World Cup with Brazil, but they would have won it even without a manager. As for Portugal in Euro 2004, they had home advantage and failed to beat Greece twice.
One thing going for him is that he doesnt pander to egos so lets savour the moment when beckham is finally dropped from the squad.

nffc
27-04-2006, 11:24
Scolari is (apparently) a Forest fan :) anyway he's better than Ginge. Still think Megson was the perfect choice though :erm:

orangebird
27-04-2006, 11:24
Big Phil has won the World Cup with Brazil, but they would have won it even without a manager. As for Portugal in Euro 2004, they had home advantage and failed to beat Greece twice.
One thing going for him is that he doesnt pander to egos so lets savour the moment when beckham is finally dropped from the squad.
Like Beckham or not, he's still a class player, with the most mind blowingly amazing free kick in the world. Why should he be dropped?

gooner4life
27-04-2006, 11:33
Like Beckham or not, he's still a class player, with the most mind blowingly amazing free kick in the world. Why should he be dropped?

Juninho Pernambucano of Lyon is a much better free kick taker,
Ronaldinho, Zidane, Henry, all score free kicks on a more regular basis as well these days.

Nugget
27-04-2006, 11:36
Ronaldinho, Zidane, Henry, all score free kicks on a more regular basis as well these days.

Yeah, but they all might have a slight problem getting into the England team ;)

orangebird
27-04-2006, 11:42

Sadly, none of those you pointed out can actually play for engalnd though....:dozey:

homealone
27-04-2006, 11:47

One of the reasons i have 'gone off' football, is the annoying tendency to put people on pedestals, only to delight in knocking them off.

David Beckham has been, on the whole, a class act & a good servant for the England team - if he is no longer required, then fair do, but to imply that he is second rate, all of a sudden, isn't really fair, in my opinion :)

sherer
27-04-2006, 11:55
just look at it this way

if Scolari takes the job that should be the end of Crouch :D

Neil
27-04-2006, 12:39

True, but the other thing they have in common is that they are not English....

gooner4life
27-04-2006, 13:49
True, but the other thing they have in common is that they are not English....

Just because Beckham is english though it doesnt make his freekicks magical.

It's not american football where we can bring a kicker on and take him off repeatedly when we have a free kick, he offers little else to the team now his energy levels have dropped.

Gareth
27-04-2006, 13:58
But at least we'll get to see Posh on tv a lot more during the World Cup :erm: ...actually, let's hope he is dropped just to save us from that!

Neil
27-04-2006, 14:04
Just because Beckham is english though it doesnt make his freekicks magical.

No, but it also doesn;t change the fact that they are magical.

It's not american football where we can bring a kicker on and take him off repeatedly when we have a free kick, he offers little else to the team now his energy levels have dropped.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree, but that's just my opinion.

gazzae
28-04-2006, 14:58
"However long we were in the wilderness, I would rather see us in the wilderness for years with an English manager than win the World Cup with a foreigner" - Ian Wright.

Do England fans actually agree with him or is he just being his usual obnoxious self?

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Big Phil has won the World Cup with Brazil, but they would have won it even without a manager.

If thats the case then why did it look like Brazil weren't even going to qualify for the World Cup before Scolari took over?

yesman
28-04-2006, 16:23
Do England fans actually agree with him or is he just being his usual obnoxious self?

I think if England won the world cup, the fans woudn't give two hoots who was in charge.

sherer
28-04-2006, 16:53
I think if England won the world cup, the fans woudn't give two hoots who was in charge.

well i can't see it happening this year under Sven.. don't forget we haven't actually hired Scolari yet but will give him a chance and see how we do under him before starting to complain

tick
28-04-2006, 17:04
. don't forget we haven't actually hired Scolari yet but will give him a chance and see how we do under him before starting to complain[/QUOTE]

He wants a lot more money to come here don't think he will like the English game.and it should be a English man or woman .
just the way I See it

gazzae
28-04-2006, 17:08
He wants a lot more money to come here don't think he will like the English game.and it should be a English man or woman .
just the way I See it

He's not going to be playing English teams.

tick
28-04-2006, 17:11
Why hire a man who will want to change the way we play .
Better some one who know,s it

gazzae
28-04-2006, 17:13
Why hire a man who will want to change the way we play
Because maybe that's the reason you haven't won a major tournament since 1966?

Mick
28-04-2006, 18:28
Scolari pulls out of the race to become the next England manager, citing, too much press intrusion into his private life over the last few days.

"There are 20 reporters outside my house now," he said.

"If that is part of another culture, it is not part of my culture."

http://www.eurosport.com/motorcycling/world-cup1/2006/sport_sto875793.shtml

Orior
28-04-2006, 19:01
Excellent. The press hounded him out before he even started. The great British public ought to be ashamed. Why? Because you all continue to buy the Sun and the Star!

Now go and get O'Neill. At least he played in the World Cup. How many others can say they've done that?

gazzae
28-04-2006, 19:44
Must be a record for the press.

yesman
28-04-2006, 20:01
There has to be more to it than just the press presence I reckon, more like the incompetence of the FA.

gazzae
29-04-2006, 10:44
Now that Scolari's out of it they've started on McClaren. :rolleyes:

The Sun newspaper revealed on Saturday that McClaren had an affair with a secretary during a trial separation from his wife.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4957258.stm

Gareth
29-04-2006, 12:57
The Beeb have a report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/sport_web/audio/9012da680040818/bb/09012da680040a00_16x9_bb.asx) that Scolari turned down the offer because he received death threats against his family from Portugese fans. Wonder if there's any truth in this.

Timeless Stew
29-04-2006, 13:12
In one hand we have coaches that know what they were doing:
Sven (Ulrica, Nancy, Faria Alam),
Scolari (He said he was off to give one to his wife after the world cup win),
Steve Mclaren (affair with secretary)

How can we trust coaches like Sam Allardyce, Martin O’Neill, Alan Curbishley, completely inexperienced in infidelity matters?

I think this is a critical issue that Berwick needs to address.

TheDaddy
29-04-2006, 14:02
At least Mclaren's infidelity came out before he got the job, not even sure that he and his wife were together at the time, sounds like a press smokescreen to hide their involvement in the Scolari fiasco.

gazzae
29-04-2006, 14:26
Oh well your not winning the world cup this year, Rooney was stretchered off.

TigaSefi
29-04-2006, 14:30
Yep Rooney was our one shot hope of winning the world cup... Oh well maybe in 4 years time...

yesman
29-04-2006, 17:38
Alan Curbishley for England Boss ?

He has just resigned as boss of Charlton Athletic.

I actually heard yesterday that he had actually got the job but I dismissed it as BS, I am beginning to wonder now, I suppose we will find out soon enough.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/4958402.stm)

danielf
29-04-2006, 22:54
Oh well your not winning the world cup this year, Rooney was stretchered off.

A fractured metatarsel (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4957970.stm) (again) apparently. He could be out for 6 weeks...

Druchii
29-04-2006, 23:21
A fractured metatarsel (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4957970.stm) (again) apparently. He could be out for 6 weeks... It's only one player, doesn't exactly make a team does it ?

Orior
29-04-2006, 23:28
Ejits. Why dont they wear more protective boots!

Druchii
29-04-2006, 23:48
Ejits. Why dont they wear more protective boots! Erm, cause it hinders gameplay? :p:

nffc
30-04-2006, 00:17
A fractured metatarsel (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4957970.stm) (again) apparently. He could be out for 6 weeks... It's only one player, doesn't exactly make a team does it ?

OK so England will be as good with or without Rooney in the summer?

One player doesn't make a team but there are key players who you will miss.

In Weds' case obviously you're no good since you don't have Grant Holt anymore /fishes

Druchii
30-04-2006, 00:25
In Weds' case obviously you're no good since you don't have Grant Holt anymore /fishes
Sorry didn't quite catch that ;)

As for key players... I'm a strong believer that as long as a team plays properly as a team it can beat anyone, we've proven it alot with 10 a side matches in college, with clearly "crap" players beating talented ones through superioir knowledge of how the other plays. It's possbiel without key players too ;)

nffc
30-04-2006, 00:34
In Weds' case obviously you're no good since you don't have Grant Holt anymore /fishes Sorry didn't quite catch that ;)

As for key players... I'm a strong believer that as long as a team plays properly as a team it can beat anyone, we've proven it alot with 10 a side matches in college, with clearly "crap" players beating talented ones through superioir knowledge of how the other plays. It's possbiel without key players too ;)

Grant Holt... class act.

Anyway... I agree with the team thing (the kind of attribute that makes me stand out as a player), but do you agree that we have more of a chance at the WC with Rooney than without him?

gazzae
30-04-2006, 00:37
Sure who needs Rooney when you have....

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/04/3.jpg

Russ
30-04-2006, 00:40
:angel: :disturbd:

gazzae
04-05-2006, 16:26
McClaren has been given the job.

sir_drinks_alot
04-05-2006, 17:03
McClaren has been given the job.

One thing McClaren has on his side is the fact that heâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s been in the England Team Set up for a faw years now and will know how it all works :)

Druchii
04-05-2006, 23:35
One thing McClaren has on his side is the fact that he’s been in the England Team Set up for a faw years now and will know how it all works :) And of course the regulars are used to him :)

sir_drinks_alot
04-05-2006, 23:41
And of course the regulars are used to him :)

Indeed

sherer
05-05-2006, 10:20
that's the problem with McLaren.. he takes the training and tactics and everything else at the moment anyway.. Sven basically does nothing so can't see much changing

yesman
05-05-2006, 21:35
There has to be more to it than just the press presence I reckon, more like the incompetence of the FA.

Nice of them (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4977778.stm) to admit it I suppose :rolleyes:

nffc
05-05-2006, 21:41
Wrong choice, wrong time. They could have had Scolari and Hiddink but ****ed it up.

Of course Pearce is also potentially a "right man, but wrong time" situation.

McClaren is just SGE MkII and he's hardly done much on Teesside to justify the England job especially given the money he's spent.

yesman
05-05-2006, 22:12
Of course Pearce is also potentially a "right man, but wrong time" situation.

McClaren is just SGE MkII and he's hardly done much on Teesside to justify the England job especially given the money he's spent.

Out of the three (Englishmen) that were supposedly in the running, I think McClaren was the best choice for all round experience.

Pearce should be groomed as McClaren's successor imo

Wrong choice*, wrong time**. They could have had Scolari and Hiddink but ****ed it up.

* If you include foreign coaches, then yes maybe Scolari, I will be watching Portugal with some interest come June, I would have liked to have seen either Wenger or Mourinho in the reckoning, but no doubt Dein and Kenyon made that mission impossible.

**Thanks to the NOTW

nffc
05-05-2006, 22:24
I don't care whether the manager is English or not, only if he's good or not.

Though SGE should have gone 2 years ago.

kronas
05-05-2006, 22:34
in my opinion wenger should have got the job, hes proved he can take young, inexperianced individuals and push them to play at their best.

i think mclaren should take advice from sir alex ferguson, i was proud of him at his tenure at manchester united where he helped man utd to win the treble.

homealone
05-05-2006, 22:36
Pearce should be groomed as McClaren's successor imo

lots of snips, but I'm not sure 'Psycho' could handle the national job - he has done a brilliant job with City, but he has a very short fuse. :dmonk:

- maybe that is what we need ? :D

yesman
05-05-2006, 23:05
lots of snips, but I'm not sure 'Psycho' could handle the national job - he has done a brilliant job with City, but he has a very short fuse. :dmonk:

- maybe that is what we need ? :D

Given the right guidance, I am sure Pearce will be at the helm at some point in his career, which is why I would like to see him given some active role under McClaren.

homealone
05-05-2006, 23:49
Given the right guidance, I am sure Pearce will be at the helm at some point in his career, which is why I would like to see him given some active role under McClaren.

- expletives manager?

- tasked with the role of channeling the energy normally used for swearing into something more constructive :D

nffc
05-05-2006, 23:53
Hey. Don't insult Psycho or the kitten gets it.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/05/53.jpg

homealone
06-05-2006, 01:28
Hey. Don't insult Psycho or the kitten gets it.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/05/53.jpg

/melts - awww :)

Nugget
08-05-2006, 16:44
/melts - awww :)

Only if you got the oven hot enough ;)

:disturbd:

Druchii
08-05-2006, 16:45
Only if you got the oven hot enough ;) :disturbd: You my friend are very :disturbd:

Nugget
08-05-2006, 16:50
You my friend are very :disturbd:

:wavey:

Orior
10-05-2006, 21:43
So McLaren is off to manage New England? I hope the Patriots have more success than McLaren has had with soccer teams. He obviously knows more about American Football than soccer. Ejit.

Anyway, I trust the press will dig the dirt and have him hounded out before he can say "Midddddlesborrrrrroughhhhhh"

timewarrior2001
10-05-2006, 21:53
So McLaren is off to manage New England? I hope the Patriots have more success than McLaren has had with soccer teams. He obviously knows more about American Football than soccer. Ejit.

Anyway, I trust the press will dig the dirt and have him hounded out before he can say "Midddddlesborrrrrroughhhhhh"

Well if he thinks the performance of Middlesbrough was good tonight then all I can say is he'll do fine as an England manager.

He cant manage a team that could and should have won that final, he's got no chance against the worlds elite.
He's been a manager for 5 years and makes the grade to national team manager????? Nahhhh somehting odd there.
I appreciate everything the guy has done for the Boro, even the millions in compensation he netted us, but he's not a great manager.....just the best we (the boro) have ever had.

Shabba
10-05-2006, 22:06
I only caught the last 20 or so minutes of the match and saw Boro inept (sorry timewarrior) at the back, lacking in any passes from true midfielders (unless you count "hoofing" the ball forward) and saw no real attacking prowess.

Boro do have the capabilties to win matches, but just not on a big scale with Mac.

God help England :(

timewarrior2001
10-05-2006, 22:08
I only caught the last 20 or so minutes of the match and saw Boro inept (sorry timewarrior) at the back, lacking in any passes from true midfielders (unless you count "hoofing" the ball forward) and saw no real attacking prowess.

Boro do have the capabilties to win matches, but just not on a big scale with Mac.

God help England :(

No apologies needed, Dont get me wrong I am being harsh on him. That game was for the taking by the Boro, he messed the management up.

I do think he will achieve things with England, but it depends on who assists him too.

Still 5 years as a manager and he wins the first Major trophy for a club that had won none in 120 years is an achievement in itself.

Yes he spent money, not as much as Robbo I dont think, and he has put together a great squad, but tonight was utter ********.

gazzae
10-05-2006, 22:18

3 out of the last 5 superbowls, I doubt they need him. ;)

When boro were beaten 4-0 by villa McClaren was 150/1 to be England manager. They then went on a good run and McClaren was the saviour, now the bubble has burst. :p: