PDA

View Full Version : New install troubles

timewarrior2001
27-11-2003, 16:23
A friend of mine had BB installed 2 days ago, it hasnt worked. This morning I phoned Tech support and after about a 15 min wait I got through to a human being. Seems because there was no U/S or syn or ready lights showing an engineer was needed. The gentleman I spoke to handled the call very professionally, he explained to me another issue that I casually mentioned and I felt this guy deserved some praise. I am not going to name him because I am unsure of his name (this morning was a long time ago) but if he reads this he will know its him.
He passed the call over to faults to book an engineer visit. This was done painlessly and without ANY hassle. Thankyou very much kind sir :)

Now on to faults. I cannot praise them enough, they basically said yep an engineer is booked, my friend enquired when, between now (9:20am approx) and 12pm they said.

Engineer turned up at 10:20am and fixed the fault.

A big well done and a huge pat on the back to all concerned, the call system reported large volumes of calls this morning and I think a 15 min wait is excellent. I cannot praise the team of people responsible enough you have my eternal grattitude :)

gary_580
27-11-2003, 16:45
This has been my experience on two occassion. Trouble is people will complain saying, well if they respond to a telephone call and have been out and fixed the problem within an hour there must be too many people sitting around doing nothing.

Why the the installation team leave without it working in the forst place?

Nemesis
27-11-2003, 16:51
A friend of mine had BB installed 2 days ago, it hasnt worked. This morning I phoned Tech support and after about a 15 min wait I got through to a human being. Seems because there was no U/S or syn or ready lights showing an engineer was needed. The gentleman I spoke to handled the call very professionally, he explained to me another issue that I casually mentioned and I felt this guy deserved some praise. I am not going to name him because I am unsure of his name (this morning was a long time ago) but if he reads this he will know its him.
He passed the call over to faults to book an engineer visit. This was done painlessly and without ANY hassle. Thankyou very much kind sir :)

Now on to faults. I cannot praise them enough, they basically said yep an engineer is booked, my friend enquired when, between now (9:20am approx) and 12pm they said.

Engineer turned up at 10:20am and fixed the fault.

A big well done and a huge pat on the back to all concerned, the call system reported large volumes of calls this morning and I think a 15 min wait is excellent. I cannot praise the team of people responsible enough you have my eternal grattitude :)
It can be done, well done NTL, but Timewarrior eternal is a long time :D

timewarrior2001
28-11-2003, 10:26
It can be done, well done NTL, but Timewarrior eternal is a long time :DAhhh eternal is for several reasons, I was banging my head against the wall wondering if it was an NTL problem or if it was a USB (eeewwwww) problem.
I kept re-booting the modem over 2 nights and eventually it stopped working all together :D

I have no idea why the engineer left without it working, perhaps it was ok, the installation happened on the day they started work in the area and that was completed with re-segmentation on Thursday. Maybe it was in the installation engineer, he was desribed to me as not very helpfull, read th einstructions you cant go wrong kinda guy who was out the door ASAP. The installation looked a mess, he re-used old cables, didnt remove disconnected cables (yes the house had several old cables running along the external walls from a previous occupier). The cable for the modem was just long enough to fit into the little brown box and only then if he bent it at a weird angle!!!! in other words it actually wasnt long enough!
The box lid (brown box) wouldnt stay closed, wasnt secured at all. I dont htink he did much work in their because the amount of leaves and cobwebs in it was incredible.

The installs guy wouldnt put a phone line in upstairs, said that the existing boxes were disconnected and he couldnt (i took it as wouldnt) trace the wires. As a result there was no phone at the computer, this is needed when calling tech support. Eventually I had to take my cordless digi phones over to make th ecall to tech support.

Even if it was a bad install, 1 hour from reporting the fault to having it sorted by an engineers visit is extremely good CS and I feel it makes amends for a possible poor install.

Nemesis
28-11-2003, 10:33
Ahhh eternal is for several reasons, I was banging my head against the wall wondering if it was an NTL problem or if it was a USB (eeewwwww) problem.
I kept re-booting the modem over 2 nights and eventually it stopped working all together :D

I have no idea why the engineer left without it working, perhaps it was ok, the installation happened on the day they started work in the area and that was completed with re-segmentation on Thursday. Maybe it was in the installation engineer, he was desribed to me as not very helpfull, read th einstructions you cant go wrong kinda guy who was out the door ASAP. The installation looked a mess, he re-used old cables, didnt remove disconnected cables (yes the house had several old cables running along the external walls from a previous occupier). The cable for the modem was just long enough to fit into the little brown box and only then if he bent it at a weird angle!!!! in other words it actually wasnt long enough!
The box lid (brown box) wouldnt stay closed, wasnt secured at all. I dont htink he did much work in their because the amount of leaves and cobwebs in it was incredible.

The installs guy wouldnt put a phone line in upstairs, said that the existing boxes were disconnected and he couldnt (i took it as wouldnt) trace the wires. As a result there was no phone at the computer, this is needed when calling tech support. Eventually I had to take my cordless digi phones over to make th ecall to tech support.

Even if it was a bad install, 1 hour from reporting the fault to having it sorted by an engineers visit is extremely good CS and I feel it makes amends for a possible poor install.
I don't think 'poor' was the right word ... this was just incompetant ...

Everything ok now tho' ?

timewarrior2001
28-11-2003, 10:41
I don't think 'poor' was the right word ... this was just incompetant ...

Everything ok now tho' ?
Yeah everything is perfect, funny really, more time taken in original install would have had the same result, I only hope NTL put two and two together and reprimand the original installs engineer if indeed it was his fault.