PDA

View Full Version : Sky Box phone line

greyripper
15-04-2006, 16:20
Why do I need a phone line with a standard Sky Box?
I assume it is for interactive services (which I never use on NTL, my current supplier), but Sky make it a condition of the free box and install package.
As I am changing phone supplier (finally had enough of NTLs incompetance), it may be a while before I can get a working line to where the Sky Box will be.
Any comments?

Gareth
15-04-2006, 17:56
I believe that you can get around this by paying to have Sky installed, and in that case, they won't require you to have a phone line. I'm sure someone can either confirm this or tell me that I dreamt it.

Also, the requirement is only valid for 12 months - after which time, you're free to unplug the sky box from your phone line.

Druchii
15-04-2006, 18:27
I just unplugged it in Sheffield anyway, never caused us any problems.

Chris
15-04-2006, 18:39
Sky give you a free dish and box. This is on the condition that you keep it connected to a phone line for 12 months. if you disconnect it, you are in breach of contract and Sky will charge you the cost of the dish and box (about £120 IIRC).

They can (and do) periodically check to ensure the box is plugged into the phone. They do this by sending a signal via the satellite which prompts the box to dial Sky on a freephone number - sometimes called 'phoning home'. After Sky has sent this signal, if they don't hear back from your box within a set period of time, you may become liable to pay them the £120. Seeing as this is in the small print of your contract, you can't argue with them either.

On the other hand, if you have had Sky for more than 12 months you can happily disconnect it from the phone if you like. The only exception here though is if you have more than one Sky box ('Sky Multiroom'). In this case, you have an ongoing discount from Sky, as you don't pay the full subscription for the second box, so they are able to continue to enforce the condition that you keep both boxes plugged in.

greyripper
15-04-2006, 22:01
Thanks folks.
So, as I understand it, the only requirement is to keep the line connected, but as long as I do not use interactive, there will be no calls other than free-phone 'phone-home' calls??

Chris
15-04-2006, 22:57
Correct - they won't run your bill up. Actually, you can use a lot of redbutton content without it dialling up either, and when it does dial, it tells you wheter it is a free or charged call.

greyripper
16-04-2006, 12:22
Thanks very much, looks like the way to go.

Gareth
16-04-2006, 13:48
I made the switch to Sky & BT just over a year ago and haven't looked back since. Still kept NTL for BB though. Hope your experiences are as good as mine have been :)

EddieD
26-06-2007, 18:25
Is there any known connection for taking the sky box phone-line thru a PC on skype or any other VOIP connection? I'm getting rid of virgin phone line & TV but keeping the cable broadband. I don't need a land-line as I use skype or mobile for all calls. Thanks in advance.

Tezcatlipoca
26-06-2007, 20:27
I don't think it will work via VoIP....

AFAIK, you can pay Sky something like £25 to avoid the need for a phoneline connection. Phone 'em up & check :)

fizgog
26-06-2007, 20:31
Yes it is £25.

They don't seem to bother with the standard boxes, there main focus is on multiroom boxes to make sure you haven't flogged it to your mate at a reduced monthly fee.

Tezcatlipoca
26-06-2007, 20:36
To add to earlier points from this thread (didn't notice how old it is!) -

The free box & free installation are two separate things.

Installation is free if you subscribe to at least the minimum 2 Sky TV "Mixes" (else you pay the full £120).

The box is free if you sign up to the "Interactive Discount Contract" (IDC) - a separate contract to the actual Sky TV contract, & agree to leave the box connected to a landline for 12 months.

lincsat
01-07-2007, 02:34
From today, all standard Sky installations (incl Sky+ & SkyHD) are £30 unless you take multi-room.

DaveSUK
12-10-2009, 13:42
I have a family member who works for BSkyB and the telephone hook up is nothing to do with interactive services.

The telephone hook up is to share viewing habits. The sky box stores a history of what programs are being watched, how long for and so one, the sky box will periodically send this information down the phoneline to an 0800 number. They then collate all this information and sell it.

I am sure you've herd TV programs boasting about having the most views this is how they find out

Flyboy
12-10-2009, 14:04
Welcome to the forum Dave. I don't know if you have noticed, but this is a very old thread. However, this connection is not anything to with ratings collation, other methods are used for that. It would not be possible to get an accurate perspective of how many people watch a specific programme. For one thing, it would be impossible for the box to know if the television set is even switched on, least of all how many people are actually staring at the set when it is actually on. Amongst other things, it is necessary to be connected to a fixed line for EPG updates, as it is far more efficient way of doing it, rather than by satellite signal.

DaveSUK
12-10-2009, 14:40
Hi yeah sorry I noticed the date after I submitted the reply and didnt know how to delete it.

Chris
12-10-2009, 19:52
Viewing information may be of use to Sky, however it's not detailed enough to be of use to the broadcasters. Broadcasters subscribe to BARB, which carries out detailed statistical sampling of the nation's viewing habits by putting dedicated set-top boxes in the homes of volunteers. These boxes note what is being watched and when, however everyone living in the house has to tell it when they enter or leave the room so it gets an accurate idea of viewing figures.

I used to know someone who was on the BARB panel. He didn't get paid but they used to run a panel members' magazine with decent prizes and so on so he seemed to think it was worth the hassle.

Paul K
12-10-2009, 20:02
Dunno where your family member works in sky but they are wrong I'm afraid.

webcrawler2050
12-10-2009, 20:31
Certainly for the Sky "normal" you don't need a phone line installed or constantly connected, the fitting engineer can activate the card on his PDA - however, for Sky + and HD they won't install without a working phone line, unless you ask them nicely and they get authorisation from their line manager - they will install but only if the phone line, install / activation is no more than a week away. This is what I was told by the engineer who did my Sky +

Paul K
12-10-2009, 20:32
Yep as the phone line is used for call backs in that situation to prove the box is where it is supposed to be.

webcrawler2050
12-10-2009, 20:43
As far as I'm aware, if you don't haev the phone line plugged in for SKY + and the system tries a call back and it fails.. I believe the system will charge you for a "seperate" package..

iain_herts
12-10-2009, 21:22
thats only if u have multi room u can now get sky sky+ or skyHD installed without the phone line connected

Flyboy
12-10-2009, 21:36
I had multi-room and the line was not connected, I never had an issue. We got fed up with the line being busy when I was working late at night (I needed to contact overseas colleagues and clients).