PDA

View Full Version : Phone line problem

wayne
15-04-2006, 12:11
I have a problem with my NTL line.. The phone rings but when I pick it up there is no signal. Also there is no ring tone.
This happened about 2 years back and someone on this site was able to help me get the problem resolved.. They gave me a direct number for future problems but that number no longer works..
Can you help me again? Appreciate any advice as its hard trying to get through to CS on a public pay phone..
Cheers..
Wayne.

Shaun
15-04-2006, 13:37
I'm afraid you'll need to persevere, sounds like a loose connection mate.

Just to be on the safe side, have you tried a different phone plugged directly into the master Ntl socket, just to rule out your internal wiring/splitters?

wayne
15-04-2006, 14:19
OK thanks anyway..
I managed to get through to them on a public phone and they found a line fault..
He said he needs to send an engineer but there are none available till Tuesday!!
Ill have to take the day off work because I have to wait between 12-6 pm..
Bloody nightmare..
If I didnt have broadband and TV services Id go back to BT..
If anyone has any ideas how I could get the line working any quicker plz advise..
Cheers..
Wayne.

a good help
15-04-2006, 15:11
as what shaun states:
Re: Phone line problem
I'm afraid you'll need to persevere, sounds like a loose connection mate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
rather than book time off work, why not have a 6-8pm(now 5-8pm) appointment or a saturday appointment, u say that the phones rings but there is no ring tone, do you mean that if you ring from eg:1, a mobile then you hear it ring from the mobile but your ntl line doesnt ring and you have no dial tone? or 2,when you ring the line the phone(ntl line) rings in the house but is dead when you pick the handset up?, if its the second, do you have extension sockets dotted around the house? if so, go to the master socket and undo to two small screws, gently remove the faceplate and connect the phone directly into the main master socket, if that now works then a extension is likely to be the cause, but if its the first point then wait for the engineer to call.

Pinkypants
15-04-2006, 19:24
Sounds like its a ring trip. The only things you can do is:

* remove all extensions from your line
*try another corded phone in the master socket

However, you would have already been asked to try those before the agent booked the appointment.

In most areas engineer availability was for monday earliest, tuesday as standard. As its easter sunday tomorrow and bank holiday, its understand there are no appointments available. Most customers I spoke to today were grateful for the monday / tuesday appointments given the festive time of year.

If you have tried all the above then there is little you can do until an engineer calls.

Sorry I cant be of more help :)

a good help
16-04-2006, 18:32
but if it was a ring trip, then he would still be able to get a dialtone and make out-going calls, and also his/her phone would only ring the once/twice maybe three times > then trip.

as far as booking calls, tuesday isnt standard , as engineers are working on bank holiday monday and it all comes down to availability in the franchise area.

PS1
17-04-2006, 07:58
If you have no dial tone then its more than likely the fault is outside.maybe the cable has been damaged(or vandalised) or quite simply disconnected by an engineer by mistake.This would still give you the ringing(when calling from another phone)as your number is still actually active on the switch.

Pinkypants
17-04-2006, 19:20
but if it was a ring trip, then he would still be able to get a dialtone and make out-going calls, and also his/her phone would only ring the once/twice maybe three times > then trip.

as far as booking calls, tuesday isnt standard , as engineers are working on bank holiday monday and it all comes down to availability in the franchise area.

Sorry I didn't read the bit where he said he had a NDT. Still, the checks I provided are as standard, and I already stated most appointments were for Monday / Tuesday subject to availability.

Not too long though until the engineer comes out though now :p: