PDA

View Full Version : LoadPowerprofile twice

downquark1
27-06-2003, 14:58
Checking the startup settings in msconfig I've noticed that Loadpowerprofile is appearing twice. How do I correct this

david_w2k
27-06-2003, 15:02
delete one of the entrys

downquark1
27-06-2003, 15:31
How? Or do you mean disable?

patrickp
27-06-2003, 17:57
You can either disable one entry in msconfig or delete one of the entries in your registry. As I recall the location is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\and then there are various folders called Run something where most of the entries are for stuff that starts when your machine boots (This thing is dumb - from HKEY on should be one line but it won't show it that way).

One's in Run Services, I forget where the other is because I deleted it ages ago: probably Run or RunOnce.

You should know that two instances of PowerProfile _is_ the standard default - it's not an error. There is some obscure reason that I can't recall now for two instances being started, but lots of people delete one of them - it seems to lead to less crashes from RunDll, and some people delete both instances.

If you're Ok with the registry, that's cool: but don't mess with it if you're not; just disable one of the instances in msconfig. And if you do delete one or both registry entries, make sure you back them up first.

david_w2k
28-06-2003, 09:54
Originally posted by downquark1
How? Or do you mean disable?

Yep, sorry meant disable. As Patrickp said, it is fine just to disable it, however it you want to completely remove it, you will need to edit the registry.

downquark1
28-06-2003, 10:05
Hmm it is suppose to be there:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q187/6/11.asp&NoWebContent=1

I thought it had just appeared recently :shrug:

patrickp
28-06-2003, 14:14
Ah, yes, that's the reason - thanks DQ1!

I suppose that means you need the two instances if you're using multiple profiles on your machine. I don't, though, and I'm fairly certain that RunDll crashes are less frequent with only one instance. (Some time since I've seen one, actually!) ;)

Dude111
10-09-2022, 21:52
One's in Run Services, I forget where the other is because I deleted it ages ago: probably Run or RunOnce.I have been wondering about this lately. I found a thread on CTH last week and then I just found this when I was scanning this base..

I only use 1 profile on my computer yet I have 2 loadpowerprofile entries in startup...

One is in RUN and the other in RUNSERVICES.....

Which 1 is safe to delete w/o hurting the current running profile??

Anything I can do to help My computer I do wanna do!!

I look at task manager and I dont see 2 of any process running.........

If I delete one of these could it help? and Which one to remove??

EDIT:

Why is Kernel32 only HI Priority instead of Realtime? (Shouldnt it be RT??)

daveeb
10-09-2022, 23:10
:p: That's one of the best necros you've resurrected from the far gone past, have you heard of a UK politician called Jacob Rees Mogg, you'd probably get on famously.

Chris
10-09-2022, 23:57
I normally just delete these pointless zombie thread bumps but here I’m genuinely curious whether anyone still has the expertise to answer the query …

Paul
11-09-2022, 00:36
Run is user specific, and items only run when you log on.
Runservices items are run as part of your PC start-up.

If you have a power profile in both, and they are identical, you probably dont need the 'run' one.
However, having both will not harm anything.

Kernel32.dll should be High, almost nothing should be RT (DDHelp is direct draw, ie your display).

In short, leave them alone unless you know (really know) what you are doing.

Dude111
11-09-2022, 23:15
Thanx Paul,I guess ill leave it be.... No I dont know all there is to know sadly :(

Hmm about DDHELP ... Sometimes when Im doing a disk cleanup,etc... I end task on that (to free up some resources) and things still work fine.... Makes ya wonder is it really needed??

I normally just delete these pointless zombie thread bumps but here I’m genuinely curious whether anyone still has the expertise to answer the query …Thank you Chris for leaving my reply... It wasnt a Joke.. I am clearly wondering of it...

I found a thread on CTH on the XP base which was sorta talking of this so I replied but sadly CTH is about dead now.... Hardily anyone so I was hopefull to get an answer here :)

Heres the thread:

www.cybertechhelp.com/showthread.php?t=134615?styleid=7