PDA

View Full Version : Call Barring question

susie r
03-04-2006, 20:08
Today I had call barring enabled as my 2 teenagers are running up huge bills calling their mates mobiles. When I called CS the guy was very helpful and told me it would take 24 hours to get on the system........he then told me a pin number that apparently I must use if I want to disable it at any time.
I tried the phone a few minutes ago and it looks like its already activated , so my question is...............how does this pin work??? I tried keying it in before dialling a mobile number but nothing happened! just a continuous bleep.....the guy said I didnt need to press # * before entering the pin, so where am I going wrong?

Marge
03-04-2006, 20:11
If memory serves me right then I'm sure you need to enter a code before dialling a mobile eg *80 - Pin - Mobile Number - # or something similar :erm:

homealone
03-04-2006, 20:31
It depends where you live

http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/pdf/wpack09.pdf

pages 5 to 8 is for my region - is that close enough for 'Midlands' ?

susie r
03-04-2006, 20:48
It depends where you live

http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/pdf/wpack09.pdf

pages 5 to 8 is for my region - is that close enough for 'Midlands' ?

Well thanks for that.I live in Rugby, which isnt mentioned on that link..I tried *80 pin then dialed my mobile and...............nothing!!! I really need to know how to disable in case of an emergency

jellybaby
03-04-2006, 21:04
If you go to http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/tariff.asp and enter your postcode it will give you the correct settings for your region :)

Marge
03-04-2006, 21:12
Try what I gave you originally but without the # at the end (and wait for the fluctuating dialtone after you've put the pin in I think)

susie r
03-04-2006, 23:13
:td: well I've tried every combination and all i get is a woman telling me the number cannot be recognised:mad: .wish I'd never bothered now, guess its another call to CS tomorrow..................thanks for the help anyway.

Pinkypants
04-04-2006, 00:11
:td: well I've tried every combination and all i get is a woman telling me the number cannot be recognised:mad: .wish I'd never bothered now, guess its another call to CS tomorrow..................thanks for the help anyway.

Its possible the PIN hasnt been put on the telephone switch. I wouldnt call CS, call Faults on 0800 052 2000 and go through to option 3 and the agent will be able to check the telephone switch to see if its there. If it isnt, the agent will be able to do that on the phone for you, and if that still doesnt work, they will be able to escallate it to their 2nd line dept.

Hope that helps :)

bo-peep
04-04-2006, 00:20
i had this problem a few weeks ago.had the call barring put on and it was immediate.went 2 take it off and nowt worked-of course it was Sat nite when CS wasn't open.rang faults the nxt day who told me it was the pin that was the problem.rang CS first thing Mon morning and the guy basically told me i was doing summat wrong cos there was nowt up with the pin.considering i had no use of the phone 4 over 24 hrs did he think i'd tried once and given up?????? neway he said he cud give me another pin ( not 4getting there was nowt wrong with the one i had) or take it off.i opted 4 the latter.

susie r
05-04-2006, 19:13
Its possible the PIN hasnt been put on the telephone switch. I wouldnt call CS, call Faults on 0800 052 2000 and go through to option 3 and the agent will be able to check the telephone switch to see if its there. If it isnt, the agent will be able to do that on the phone for you, and if that still doesnt work, they will be able to escallate it to their 2nd line dept.

Hope that helps :)

Just called faults and the guy was very helpful.........the system had not been set correctly at that end, he put it right, talked me through the override process and even called me back to see if it worked :D I'm impressed :tu: