PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Freeview box to jerrold anologue cable box

XBFreedom
02-04-2006, 02:24
hi there ive posted a question already and i understand that by connecting a freeview box to the rf output on the ntl box i wont receive freeview channels! but i was just wondering will i receive clear pictures of the standard channels like bbc 1 and 2, itv, channel 4 and 5 through my freeview box if it is connected to the ntl box? i was just wondering coz ppl have sed that these channels are the only ones sent down the cable on a different signal! please can u tell me/help me out? i just want to know if i can receive the normal terrestial channels through the ntl box?

to break it down:

cable -> cable box (no aerial attached) -> freeview box -> tv

will i pick up channels 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 (will the aerial have to be connected to the cable box to receive these, or can it be done without an aerial attached)?

Stuart
02-04-2006, 02:39
TBH, connecting your freeview box won't make a bit of difference if you can't recieve the freeview channels. Even channels 1 to 5 are carried on the freeview digital transmission.
If you can't get a clear signal for Channels 1 to 5, you would be better off buying a good aerial, or buying a signal booster.

homealone
02-04-2006, 18:05
the NTL stb will effectively filter out the terrestrial channels 1-5, present on the cable, unless it is fitted with a bypass, but will only work if you subscribe to the service.

- you cannot use an NTL cable as a substitute for an aerial, the freeview box is expecting a digitally encoded signal that the NTL box is not capable of supplying, all output from an NTL stb is analogue, once it has been decoded.

- you may get the 'terrestrial' channels by plugging the NTL cable directly into the aerial socket on your telly, but no combination of NTL box or Freeview box is going to give you what you any more without having a subscription to NTL or an aerial.