PDA

View Full Version : House move took MORE than the 28 day transfer limit

ian360
30-03-2006, 19:52
Hey guys,

Okay, here is my problem.

I have been a customer of NTL for the last six years and have had a tremendous amount of problems with them. I signed up for the NTl broadband service which would be delivered through my BT line some time ago and then upgraded back in October which then automatically locked me into another 12 month contract. In January I moved home and so had to start the long process of switching my broadband from one addressed to another.

Before the house move, I was told by NTL that it will normally take between 7-10 days to make the transfer, although they are allowed up to 28 days to make this transfer if necessary. I told them that I needed this done as soon as possible because I desperately need my internet for work, to which they told me that they would put me down as a special case so this would get it done slightly quicker. However, as with all NTL issues, this one did not run smoothly either. After about 20 days of waiting for the service to be transferred, the company I work for in the United States started to get very annoyed about the lack of work I was producing and decided to fly me over to the States for a few days while NTL reconnected me (because I was unavailable online, the company were starting to lose quite lot of money because of missed deadlines etc). Of course the flight and trip itself was not inexpensive.

So at this point I was calling NTL daily to find out what was happening, to which they told me that BT had yet to make a port available and they could do nothing until then, however, if they did go over the 28 day limit for the house move, I would be able to move over to another provider.

I returned from overseas, to find that my broadband had been installed but it did in fact take them 32 days to install it, 4 days more than the 28 day limit. So I think great, I can now cancel my service with NTL as the contract is now void, and I can finally be rid of this terrible service forever. So I happily made the call to tell them that I wanted to leave their services, to which I'm told that I can't actually leave the service because the fault was not with them it was with BT, and that they could only compensate me for the 4 additional days that they took over the 28 days. In addition, if I wanted to leave the service, I would have to pay for all the services up until October when my contract finishes and I would have to pay a further £100 for a cancellation charge. Of course I was not happy. It appears that NTL make up thier own rules as they go along as I have been misinformed by every single person that I speak to at customer services as everybody contradicts each other. They said that they are powerless to cancel my contract, which of course they aren't as they ARE my phone company so they can easily cancel my contract if they want to. If this is the way that they treat their customers, they quite honestly should not be in business any longer.

At this moment I feel really cheated and ripped-off because after six years of service with them and a following 12 months of being providing a terrible service, I don't think that I should be expected to pay them the additional charges to cancel the contract which in my opinion is void anyway. Is there a way around this? I am prepared to use a solicitor if necessary, even if it's just to rub their noses in the dirt!

Thanks for any advice offered.

Ian

martin27
30-03-2006, 21:04
Well, ok you is having problems with NTL, lets just say BT do most of the damage, when I moved to Telewest 6 months ago I was with BT for 3 years only due to the fact I was wating for Broadband from telewest rather than Rip Off BT. ANyway when the day came for my Broadband internet, phone and Digital TV, BT didnt port the number back over to Telewest, I dont know why it was an original Telewest phone number and BT where just being idiots about it they had over their 30 day notice so it was their problem, but that afternoon, the number was ported over and that was it, paid my final bill with BT by Direct Debit, and what drops on my doormat lastweek, a bill from BT for linerental and charges from December to March for £189.00 which I dont owe, so if anyone is to blame for the messing round you had I'd blame BT, they dont know what they are doing...

Neil
30-03-2006, 21:06
The issue lies with ntl & not BT.

The OP signed up with ntl not BT, so that who is who is responsible to the OP.

They knew the situation, & yet still failed to keep the OP informed.

Ian-You have every right to cancel the service.

martin27
30-03-2006, 21:08
Maybe, but looking at what Bt have done to my service, i think maybe i should sort them out to.

Chris W
30-03-2006, 21:13
i am assuming you are using ntl:freedom?

From what you have said you would be better off using a business service- the ntl package is for residential use....

If you switched to a business service then you would have SLAs and get compensated for not meeting these.

poor experience though :td: