PDA

View Full Version : Sign Up Queries

LaupSavea
26-03-2006, 18:42
I have just bought a house previously owned by a telecoms engineer.

I wasnt able to speak to him, but it seems he had NTL since the neighbour told me, under the stairs there is a wiring block marked 'Cable and Wireless' in pen though. He has put double phone sockets all around the house (three in the living room = six phone sockets!). There is also a 'normal' aerial socket in the lounge, a couple of cable like wires sticking out of a square hole in the dining room (broadband?) where his PC was and another bare cable in the master bedroom.:dunce:

I was thinking of calling NTL and getting their 3 products bundle (2Meg Broadband, Phone and TV) for about £50 a month.

So some questions?

Should I hire a 3rd Party to work out what all these cables and points are for, prior to calling NTL? If so, any suggestions as to where I might find suitable company (I have tried looking on yell.com with no luck)

Should I sign up with NTL and..er..."be nice" to the NTL / Sub contractor who comes to set me up so that they help me make sense of it all?

Lastly, if I ring the NTL sales line, will I get the best deal or should I seek out a rep standing in a shopping centre or similar to haggle with?

Lastly, are there any traps I should avoid?

Many thanks.:)

Stuart
26-03-2006, 18:59
:welcome: to Cableforum.

In all likelyhood, the NTL engineer will disconnect what you already have and install his own sockets.

bywater
26-03-2006, 21:41
Anyone joining NTL at present with the state of things would need there heads looking into in my humble opinion. My advise look elsewhere for the present. You don't want be to stuck on a twelve month contract that I am confident you will regret very shortly. A year ago I might of said go for it but not now. Well not until NTL acknowledge they have a problem and let punters know what they are doing about iwhen it is likely to be fixed. Stick around a week or two and you will soon see its not one or two customers affected but if this site is a snap shot could be thousands. Oh and now you have to pay to tell them that you are not getting the service you are paying for. Don't say I haven't warned you.

Pia
26-03-2006, 22:06
I'd leave all your cables and everything as they are, the NTL engineer will sort it.:shrug:

As for finding the best deal, well i'd shop around and find the best deals that other ISP's are offering, and when you ring the NTL sales line, say something like, "X are offering a better deal here, i'll go with them instead", most likely NTL will offer to match the better deal, this happens a lot so i'm told.

Willc0
27-03-2006, 17:37
Are they definatly phone sockets?

Take a look at one, is it a BT style socket? or does it look more square than that (whitch would make it RJ-45)
This wouild explanin the amount of them if thats it as they get used for far more than phones.

JediMaster
27-03-2006, 18:40
Should I hire a 3rd Party to work out what all these cables and points are for, prior to calling NTL? If so, any suggestions as to where I might find suitable company (I have tried looking on yell.com with no luck)

Your House should have 1 MASTER Point. This is where the BT/NTL Line comes in from Out Doors & into your home. It is normally the Hall or Lounge. Then from this Master Point the Home Owner would SPLIT the line into a few Rooms.....

If the NTL guy adds a NTL box next to the Main feed, & you (or he may) wire the Feeds into the Master NTL box...

I think thats how MOST do it:confused: Or am I wrong?

LaupSavea
28-03-2006, 06:53
Yes they are all phone sockets and not RJ45. I must say I too think its odd that there are just so many.

Chris W
28-03-2006, 22:55
Well my parents bought a new build house 3 years ago- in every room there was a tv ariel socket, and at least one phone socket- total number of phone sockets 12!!!

There were fun and games when BT came to install the phone line... so far managed to get 9/12 working, but dreading the day they have adsl activated :erm:

marky
29-03-2006, 00:13
I cant understand all the sockets, the voltage on the line means they couldnt have a phone or any other device in each one ?????

freeda
31-03-2006, 02:28
Phone in and take details of the agent you spoke to. STAY AWAY from d2d/shopping centre reps

Graham M
31-03-2006, 02:34
I cant understand all the sockets, the voltage on the line means they couldnt have a phone or any other device in each one ?????

Why not?

driver_problems
31-03-2006, 02:38
STAY AWAY from d2d/shopping centre reps
mind if I use that as quote from a 'named source' in our local papers here?

freeda
01-04-2006, 00:02
"mind if I use that as quote from a 'named source' in our local papers here?"

yes i do mind, this is just a personal opinion. I signed up to services with another provider, not ntl, from a d2d rep and had a shed load of problems. This was just meant as a piece of general advice based on personal experiences with d2d/shopping centre reps

Chris W
01-04-2006, 00:07
going slightly off topic here.... but the reason many sales reps who do the doors are less scrupulous than telesales is because they are agency workers- sometimes on commission only. If they are door to door and work directly for the company they are selling for, then they are as trustworthy as any other salesman....

oh and btw yes i did used to do door to door and stands :) [selling the product of the company i was working for]

freeda
01-04-2006, 00:19
sorry for going off topic, but just wanted to make clear that I do not give any permission to be quoted in any media and that any opinions i express are my own only

MattJones2k6
01-04-2006, 11:03
Should I sign up with NTL and..er..."be nice" to the NTL / Sub contractor who comes to set me up so that they help me make sense of it all?

Yes you should do this, I haven't found any problems with NTL's broadband or phone services. I don't use their TV services but that's because i love sky digital :)