PDA

View Full Version : Food warning

Theodoric
24-11-2003, 19:49
Did you know that most, if not all, fish and chip shops in the UK are covering their products with one of those horrible E numbers, E260 to be precise. This is done without any control whatsoever over the amount of this E number that can be put on your food. Do you see notices in these shops warning you of the use of E260; no, you don't! You have been warned!

paulyoung666
24-11-2003, 19:51
Did you know that most, if not all, fish and chip shops in the UK are covering their products with one of those horrible E numbers, E260 to be precise. This is done without any control whatsoever over the amount of this E number that can be put on your food. Do you see notices in these shops warning you of the use of E260; no, you don't! You have been warned!

dont suppose you could supply a link to this could you :)

Theodoric
24-11-2003, 19:54
Only too happy to oblige. Try here. (http://www.fst.rdg.ac.uk/foodlaw/additive.htm#3)

homealone
24-11-2003, 19:55

actually Paul I would take it with a pinch of salt - or a splash of vinegar anyway;)

Theodoric you're a naughty boy, if you're not careful I'm going to call Malt Vinegar a chemical, even though it's a natural product it's still ethanoic acid (and E260 as well!):D

peachey
24-11-2003, 19:57
also

did you know that MacDonalds uses
'lard' in its milkshakes over here

other countries will not stand for it

Theodoric
24-11-2003, 20:04
actually Paul I would take it with a pinch of salt - or a splash of vinegar anyway;)

Theodoric you're a naughty boy, if you're not careful I'm going to call Malt Vinegar a chemical, even though it's a natural product it's still ethanoic acid (and E260 as well!):D
Just trying to keep the public informed. Honest, guv.

homealone
24-11-2003, 20:11

long may it continue!;)

paulyoung666
24-11-2003, 20:11

words cannot bring me to describe how low down despicable a person you are for fooling me in that , you horrible person you , grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr , thats it im going to
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: all night , hands up you got me :p , btw thanks Gaz , i was well and truly got their wasnt i :dunce:

Xaccers
24-11-2003, 20:45
also

did you know that MacDonalds uses
'lard' in its milkshakes over here

other countries will not stand for it

Do you not realise how expensive their milkshakes would be if they were to get the same fat content using cream???
It's either cheap thick milkshakes or expensive thick milkshakes or namby pamby cheap flavoured milk sold as milkshake. Thats your choices if you want them to do milkshakes

Bonus point if someone knows what the E in E numbers means :D

Bex
24-11-2003, 20:50
Do you not realise how expensive their milkshakes would be if they were to get the same fat content using cream???
It's either cheap thick milkshakes or expensive thick milkshakes or namby pamby cheap flavoured milk sold as milkshake. Thats your choices if you want them to do milkshakes

Bonus point if someone knows what the E in E numbers means :D
maybe it was me being naive, but someone once told me they use potatoes in milkshakes to make it thick

paulyoung666
24-11-2003, 20:52
maybe it was me being naive, but someone once told me they use potatoes in milkshakes to make it thick

potato starch if i remember correctly , although i may not as the case maybe :confused:

Bex
24-11-2003, 20:56
potato starch if i remember correctly , although i may not as the case maybe :confused:

oh good so it wasnt me just believing something that was silly..cheers paul :kiss:

Ramrod
24-11-2003, 21:10
Bonus point if someone knows what the E in E numbers means :DEuropean?

Xaccers
24-11-2003, 21:13
European?

You win the bonus point :)

downquark1
24-11-2003, 21:14
:blush: I thought it meant edible

Ramrod
24-11-2003, 21:16
You win the bonus point :):D :ninja:

homealone
24-11-2003, 21:18

you could have that one right Paul. No reason why not, anyway - funny that we get a list of ingredients on stuff from the supermarket, but not from restaurants, or take aways.:erm:

Theodoric's first post may have been a 'gotcha', but the title of the post is apt - don't know about the lard, but look at this for MacD

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/cityguide_travel/city_guide/mcdonalds/_comments/328632/

Tricky
24-11-2003, 22:20

Stop it! :grind: - It's bad enough that we are controlled to the nth degree everywhere without them messing about with my fish n chips, so long as they taste great (and usually do) then it's OK

Ramrod
24-11-2003, 22:25
I strongly suspect that some chippies use msg (E-621) on their fish. Bast*rds!

Ramrod
24-11-2003, 22:29
Just trying to keep the public informed. Honest, guv.:nono: :D

homealone
24-11-2003, 22:43
I strongly suspect that some chippies use msg (E-621) on their fish. Bast*rds!

could be in the batter - I always chuck the batter, and just eat the fish?

did you know most chippies use a polyphosphate solution to stop the pre-cut chips from discolouring, before they are fried?

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 09:49

did you know most chippies use a polyphosphate solution to stop the pre-cut chips from discolouring, before they are fried?

:nono: , what you do is go to mr chips in whitby and buy the fish pieces , lovely little bits of scrap cod wrapped in batter , plenty of fish and loads of extra fattening batter , sod the msg it is lovely , only a once in a while treat you know :) :) :) :)
oh and plenty of that other E number on as well :erm:

homealone
25-11-2003, 10:00
:nono: , what you do is go to mr chips in whitby and buy the fish pieces , lovely little bits of scrap cod wrapped in batter , plenty of fish and loads of extra fattening batter , sod the msg it is lovely , only a once in a while treat you know :) :) :) :)
oh and plenty of that other E number on as well :erm:

nooooooooooo. - it has to be Haddock, every time;)

but I have to say that Whitby is THE place for fish & chips - and I'm writing this while at work on the Grimsby Docks Estate, watching the boats come & go on the Humber.:)

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 10:23

I think it's in the batter, my wife thinks it's on the fish....

nooooooooooo. - it has to be Haddock, every time;) Haddocks the only fish worth eating imo. I used to be a cod devotee but haddock has more flavour!

SMHarman
25-11-2003, 12:29

I've also heard stories of plaster of paris being in them.

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 12:55
I think it's in the batter, my wife thinks it's on the fish....

Haddocks the only fish worth eating imo. I used to be a cod devotee but haddock has more flavour!

the batter is on the fish isnt it :p :p :p :p :p :p , couldnt resist , haddock is good , but if i get the chance then whiting i reckon isnt far short of it or cod :)

handyman
25-11-2003, 13:15
The chippy I used to work near sold cod and chips, and .. fish and chips.

The fish was hoki and considered by them to be a better quality fillet than cod, larger for the price as well.

Although I dont do fish..yuk. Always like a nice chips shop curry and chips myself.

homealone
25-11-2003, 13:44

The fish was hoki and considered by them to be a better quality fillet than cod, larger for the price as well.

Although I dont do fish..yuk. Always like a nice chips shop curry and chips myself.

Hoki can be nice, although it has a fat line, which starts to get more noticeable as the fillet narrows towards the tail and can taste a bit oily. On the up side, it is one of the few commercial fish that is approved by the Marine Stewardship Council, as coming from a 'managed' fishery.

Regional variations in what fish are on sale in the local chippy are interesting - round here if you ask for 'fish', you will inevitably get Haddock. Cod is quite often not even available, the main variation on the Haddock is Skate. When I lived in Essex it was mainly Cod, with alternatives of 'Rock' (Huss) & Skate - but no Haddock.:shrug:

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 14:05

i like hoki myself , and now you are talking when you say chip shop curry and chips , oh and maybe a jumbo sausage to go :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 14:12
I just worry about what e-numbers are in the curry...

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 14:45
I just worry about what e-numbers are in the curry...

not me and thinking about it i might just go there tonight :p :p :p :p :p

homealone
25-11-2003, 15:32
Some of my favourite E numbers

E920 L-Cysteine Hydrochloride - made from feathers or hair (human hair in China)

E218 Methyl Paraben - Main volatile component in the vaginal secretions of female beagles.:eek:

E120 Cochineal - extracted from beetles.

E452 Edible bone phosphate - produced from animal bones

E551 Silicon Dioxide - Sand!

E904 Shellac - produced from a resin exuded by the Lac Insect

:erm:

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 15:52

E920 L-Cysteine Hydrochloride - made from feathers or hair (human hair in China)

E218 Methyl Paraben - Main volatile component in the vaginal secretions of female beagles.:eek:

:erm::sick:

downquark1
25-11-2003, 15:52

E120 Cochineal - extracted from beetles.

E452 Edible bone phosphate - produced from animal bones

E904 Shellac - produced from a resin exuded by the Lac Insect

:erm:
Pay no heed to these facts. Chemically the stuff in your pencil if the same as diamond.

Dave Stones
25-11-2003, 15:55
i couldn't give a rat's arse what is in my food, as long as it tastes nice. strange isnt it how all the food without addatives tends to taste manky.

and talking of rats' arses, i wouldnt be surprised if they go into the burgers at the burger van outside the guild. you see enough rats running around... makes you wonder...

and E218 Methyl Paraben - Main volatile component in the vaginal secretions of female beagles

surely beagles aren't volatile?! :eek:

Theodoric
26-11-2003, 19:52

I did this during A-level chemistry. A pile of hair from the local barber, boil it with dilute hydrochloric acid to hydrolise the protein, and I forget the rest.

But very pure sand, none of your straight off the beach rubbish. Did you know that very fine quartz (silicon dioxide) fibres, for use in ultra-sensitive torsion devices, were once made by shooting a thread of semi-molten quartz from a crossbow. Honest!

EDIT: Note the use of two quotes. I'm really proud of this!

Ramrod
26-11-2003, 20:10
EDIT: Note the use of two quotes. I'm really proud of this!Well done m8!:D