PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Messenger Download... Super Slow!

Digital
19-03-2006, 19:39
I've downloaded the Yahoo messenger installer, but the yahoo software is downloading really slow....

AbyssUnderground
19-03-2006, 19:46
Try downloading a file from some other website. If it is equally slow then its a connection problem. If it isnt its more likely to be a yahoo server problem.

chrisjackson1985
19-03-2006, 19:47
hi, download speed varies on how fast the server can send it to you.

i like to test my speed on irishisptest.com, their speed test to me seems very acurate on ntl 10mb, free registration needed before you can use the test.

try it and let me know.

Digital
19-03-2006, 19:49
From what I know, my 1mb internet connection is top notch, I download constant rates of no lower than 121-122 kb/s...

I guess i'll try doing it at a later time...

chrisjackson1985
19-03-2006, 19:51
good news then, your connection seems fine.

keep in mind the irishisptest.com website though, their speed test is top-notch.

Paul K
19-03-2006, 19:51
Could just be a load issue on the yahoo server, anything else running on the bandwidth on your PC? Have you tried stopping and then re-starting the download?

Digital
19-03-2006, 19:55
Yeah, I even went as far as restarting the PC. :p:

Nothing else seems to be taking it up. Unless its Microsoft AntiSpyware?

Paul K
19-03-2006, 19:58
Doubt it, you could try turning it off but I can't see that causing the speed issue. How are you connected to the BB line? Ethernet or USB? Any firewalls or AV in operation?
I would run a speed test and see what you are getting, if it's around the right speed then the finger of blame would point to the Yahoo server you are trying to download from.

Digital
19-03-2006, 20:01
Doubt it, you could try turning it off but I can't see that causing the speed issue. How are you connected to the BB line? Ethernet or USB? Any firewalls or AV in operation?

I'm using Ethernet, no firewalls on at the moment, the one I do use is included in XP SP2... But I tried switching it off already, I don't have an AV in operation...

I'll try a speed test now.