PDA

View Full Version : changing from 2mb back to 1MB bb

waveydave79
18-03-2006, 14:50
I have been with ntl in the nottingham area for around 5 years now. Some time ago they changed the speed of the 512Kb bb to 2MB at no additional changed and As far as I am aware they scraped 150K and increased this to 1MB for around 18 pounds.

I no longer consider myself to be a heavy downloader, I do play a few online games (wow) which use minimal bandwidth I believe the 1MB would be fine for this.

My only concern is the CAP it has been a while since I looked into this, I am not sure what the current cap limit is for 1mb BB, or if its unlimited. If someone could confirm this it would be great.

Once I know I will give them a ring and have them downgrade the speed (Need to save money)

Stuart
18-03-2006, 14:55
AFAIK, both 1 and 2 Meg are unilimited.

:welcome: to the forum BTW.

Graham M
18-03-2006, 15:48
Remember that the 1MBit connection only has a 100k upload limit so you might experience lag on some games, also things like Skype do not like limited upload bandwidth at all

V3n0m
20-03-2006, 11:07
Didn't know that the upload speed had any connection with gaming and lag:confused: ...i was also contemplating reducing my service back to 1mb as the 10 mb i'm getting is really only 1mb anyway:shocked:

Acathla
20-03-2006, 12:17
Download speed is how fast you get things from the remote server.
Upload speed is how fast you send things to the remote server.

Since games require you to send a lot of data back to the server, if this isnt high enough you are going to start experiencing lag (ie the server and your pc think you are in different places doing different things at the same time).

V3n0m
20-03-2006, 13:06
ahhhh ok thnx.....:D

but i get lag now on a 10mb service,so doesn't seem to matter 10mb or 1mb:confused:

joyteach
20-03-2006, 17:30
Remember that the 1MBit connection only has a 100k upload limit so you might experience lag on some games, also things like Skype do not like limited upload bandwidth at all

100 k ? I wish!

My uploads are 15kB/s at the most and I'm on a 1 MB service. Until today I thought this was all I was paying for. I didn't know it had been upgraded to go that fast.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to configure my computer or something to make it go faster please ? It's mostly TV shows I'm uploading.

I use Windows 98SE from a laptop which I connect directly to the PACE box. I don't use a wireless network since I dropped the laptop and broke the card slot.

2||Para
20-03-2006, 17:32

Since games require you to send a lot of data back to the server, if this isnt high enough you are going to start experiencing lag (ie the server and your pc think you are in different places doing different things at the same time).

Been playing CS for 6 years starting on a 56k dialup,believe me 1mb will have no lag.

Chrysalis
20-03-2006, 17:33

ok nice for mr know it all who obviously hasnt done much reading to educate us all :)

Graham M
20-03-2006, 17:35
100 k ? I wish!

My uploads are 15kB/s at the most and I'm on a 1 MB service. Until today I thought this was all I was paying for. I didn't know it had been upgraded to go that fast.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to configure my computer or something to make it go faster please ? It's mostly TV shows I'm uploading.

I use Windows 98SE from a laptop which I connect directly to the PACE box. I don't use a wireless network since I dropped the laptop and broke the card slot.

100kbit = approxy 16kB/s so yeah you're getting the correct speed.

Rone
20-03-2006, 18:33
Dont ever count on the fastest connection giving better pings.
It just doesnt work that way unfortunately.

Zee
20-03-2006, 18:45
Well, i just upgraded to 2MB today, speed test tells me 1.4MB thats fine, but when i download i'm getting speeds the same as i did on 1MB between 70-100KB/s ? Whats going on? I thought 2MB was atleast 200KB/s

2||Para
20-03-2006, 18:49
Depends where you are downloading from.

Zee
20-03-2006, 18:55
Different sites, getting 120KB/s and on Morpheus (http://www.morpheus.com) between 70-100KB/s on 1MB service i managed to get 130KB/s on Morpheus (http://www.morpheus.com).

2||Para
20-03-2006, 19:23
p2p is not the best judge of bandwidth.Try downloading something from Windows update or try a app download from somewhere like http://downloads.guru3d.com/ this will give you a better indication of actual speed.

joyteach
20-03-2006, 20:49
100kbit = approxy 16kB/s so yeah you're getting the correct speed.

Many thanks, Zeph !

That was the speed last year when the internet speeds changed, so it looks as though I've not missed any announcement that upload speeds have increased.

I was on the phone to ntl today and I was told I shoud be uploading at over 100 and was advised to get my computer upgraded or get a new computer. The 10 kB/s to 15 kB/s is the bare minimum, the lady said and I ought to get nearly ten times that. When I found the same figure on this thread I thought I'd really got to do something about it. Thanks for the arithmetic lesson.

Do you know the upload speed for 2MB these days ? I'm thinking of getting the new set top box so I can upload faster. The speeds used to be on the ntlworld website but I'm blowed if I can find them now.

At my present rate of upload, family DVDs arrive in the post to Europe or even New Zealand faster than I can send them through irc or a torrent.

Graham M
20-03-2006, 20:53
2MBit has an upload of 200k or approximately 30kB/s flat out

joyteach
20-03-2006, 23:24
2MBit has an upload of 200k or approximately 30kB/s flat out

Thanks again, Zeph.

That's useful to know.

Joy

homealone
21-03-2006, 00:05
25 KB/s if you are lucky ;)

joyteach
21-03-2006, 16:47
It looks as though the upload speeds have not changed since I was on the ntl middle internet rate of 750 k/B, last year. I had to go 'down' to the lowest rate which went up to 1MB because I still have a PACE set-top box.

Ntl gave me a refund when they discovered it and reduced my payment by £7.00 a month so that was OK apart from what was a drop in upload speed.

I'm thinking of going back to the middle rate but it will mean the hassle of getting the box changed. There doesn't seem much to be gained in terms of upload speed and the 1MB seems OK for everything else.

I'm not a physicist so I don't understand why the speed of the internet connection can get faster but the upload speed stays the same. Relatively speaking the upload speed seems to have gone down.

Some people who are uploading to me have amazing speeds, ten times as much,it seems to me.Are they with other companies or what ?