PDA

View Full Version : IP address

big_blue
17-03-2006, 15:43
is there anyway i can change this? I've been banned from a website i would like to get on, and the only way i can think of them banning me (a white screen comes up saying permission denied, but not on a mates comp) is via my ip address...so is there anyway i can change it? Thanks guys.

Chris
17-03-2006, 15:49
Not easily. In theory NTL's IP allocation is dynamic, but in practice you can have the same one for ages.

You may be able to aquire a new one by switching your modem off for several days. I have also heard it suggested that you can do it by changing the MAC address of your PC's network card.

Personally I'd say the best way to approach it is not to get banned from websites. What did you do?

ScaredWebWarrior
17-03-2006, 15:50
is there anyway i can change this? I've been banned from a website i would like to get on, and the only way i can think of them banning me (a white screen comes up saying permission denied, but not on a mates comp) is via my ip address...so is there anyway i can change it? Thanks guys.Is it your IP address they've banned or the proxy address you're going through?

If it is the first, then I'd suggest avoid doing whatever got you banned, if it's the latter, then you could change your proxy to see if another one does allow you through.

Aragorn
17-03-2006, 15:52
The website may have banned the NTL proxy if it's poorly coded. First of all, try reading this (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#sidestep) and changing your proxy.

If that doesn't work it may really be personal. There is no way to guarantee a change of IP. If you turn off your CM for a time (days?) your IP MIGHT be re-assigned, but you might turn it on again and still have the same IP.

grubbymitts
17-03-2006, 16:48
the question is: why ban you in the first place? Not trolling, were you?

nemesis01
18-03-2006, 20:03
the way i managed to do it is open cmd prompt and ipconfig /release and leave for 10-20 minutes then ipconfig /renew. usually works but other day i had it off for an hour and it was still the same, try it before you go to bed i guess....

and the website could have banned you using a crappy method like cookies, happened to me ages ago for some reason, so just wiped the cookies for that particular site and was back on.

IWANTBLUE
19-03-2006, 01:39
I had the exact same problem for a hotwheels site ...and no did nothing to deserve the ban...
It is the NTL proxy that the site dosent like... Not My personal Ip...
I have gotten round it buy specifying a proxy ip from a list on here , just another ntl area...
Itsa PITA but is a workaround for now...
In my case it would be ok in the mornings, but late afternoon evenings the site would not accept me and informed me i had been ip banned...the sitenever got back to me withwhat theproblem was , but i realised it was the ntl proxy, not my ip , so the change has worked since then...around a month or more ago it started... :(

now im getting dropped every 30 mins on 06 and 36 mins?? but thats another thread :)

Nick.

jtwn
19-03-2006, 02:00
Change mac address of the device connected to the modem to get a new ip.

Device properties for a network card, router setup page for your router.

Chris W
19-03-2006, 08:19
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=90