PDA

View Full Version : Downstream Power Level

looselipsuk
17-03-2006, 14:23
I did not want to start a new thread for this but my request for an answer has not been answered in another thread called Help.
I do not appear to be having a problem at the moment, but am concerned with my Downstream Power Level.
Am running XP with no router and conncted via Ethernet. My modem is an NTL 200 on the 10meg connection.
Here are my figures.
Downstream Receive Power Level: 9.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 36.0 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level: 39.0 dBmV

My Downstream Receive Power Level last night was even as high as 9.2 dBmV and am getting worried this might start affecting my connection.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

AbyssUnderground
17-03-2006, 15:14
It helps to search the forum before posting. This thread (a sticky) will help you: http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26006

jtwn
17-03-2006, 15:23
I wouldn't worry, I had my Downstream receive at -14 without any visible effects for a long time.

If your signals are at the extremes of the recommended and beyond and you start noticing dropouts, then is the time to call.

ntl may just eventually get round to making it better. Mine did and basically now its always at SNR 37db, DS Receive 0dBmV and 49 Upstream. DS Receive may go into the minus by one or two at peak times, but other then that its pretty much static. AFAIK, they are pretty good levels.

looselipsuk
17-03-2006, 15:27
I searched the forums and even wrote in another thread two days, ago with no reply, which is why I mentioned the reason I started this one.
Also, because of the sticky, that is why I am asking about my Downstream Receive Power Level, which is higher than the 8 dBmV mentioned as likely to cause a problem.
In all the time I have been a member, this is the first time I have ever started a thread and I do know my way around the forum.
Just would like a reply to my question please.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

I wouldn't worry, I had my Downstream receive at -14 without any visible effects for a long time.

If your signals are at the extremes of the recommended and beyond and you start noticing dropouts, then is the time to call.

ntl may just eventually get round to making it better. Mine did and basically now its always at SNR 37db, DS Receive 0dBmV and 49 Upstream. DS Receive may go into the minus by one or two at peak times, but other then that its pretty much static. AFAIK, they are pretty good levels.

Thank you for the reply and was just a little concerned.
Was busy writing out my other reply while you posted this one so it has crossed with yours.
Thank you.

AbyssUnderground
17-03-2006, 17:08
Appologies. I assumed you didnt search the forum and find the sticky which is why I stated you should search. I go on another forum a lot where this is one of the main rules.

looselipsuk
17-03-2006, 20:56
Apology accepted of course.
I do know that a lot of people just come on and start a new thread without searching first.
Appears that I have no need to worry while everything seems to be working ok.

AbyssUnderground
17-03-2006, 22:45
Thanks. At least you accepted the aplogy. Ive had many a person turn around and tell me to get stuffed, even though it was a forum rule. As a result they didnt get a reply to their thread for their rudeness.

As the saying goes, "What you give, you shall receive" ;)

Chrysalis
18-03-2006, 02:32
apperently its only a problem if your modem is losing connection, if that is happening get an engineer out to fix the power level.