PDA

View Full Version : Just had an NTL rep around and he said.........

parkie
16-03-2006, 15:19
starting around september 06 the following upgrades will be happening:

1mb > 10mb
2mb > 20mb
10mb > 80mb

anyone else heard this?

cheers

p

etccarmageddon
16-03-2006, 15:28
ok do you have the name/business card of this rep and his number - if so please pm this to a member of the team so he can be reported to his seniors for misrepresenting his company.

Derek
16-03-2006, 15:29
Salesperson in talking out their **** shocker! Who would have thunk it!

I don't think there is any danger of those speeds just yet from Ntl (or anyone else in the UK for that matter)

etccarmageddon
16-03-2006, 15:34
20meg maybe as that would be competing with some LLU - e.g. beunlimited but 80meg - no chance this year.

Chrysalis
16-03-2006, 15:35
80meg isnt possible on current infrastructure, that is taking sales pitching too far.

parkie
16-03-2006, 15:36
I do have all his details. He wasn't trying to get me to sign up for broadband as he knew I already had the 2mb service, it was something he said when I asked him if there were any upcoming upgrades. He came round to talk about getting their Digital TV.

p

etccarmageddon
16-03-2006, 15:40
are you going to pm his details to a team member?

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

see this thread for a sample of team contacts you can pm it with:-
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=44441

Rone
16-03-2006, 15:47
I wonder how long the 80meg would be stable for.
We have'nt quite mastered the 10meg have we? ;)

MovedGoalPosts
16-03-2006, 15:54
Well we do know that ntl are trialling 100Meg services (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/239/ntl-and-arris-to-commence-100mb-broadband-speed-trials), but to indicate they are actually ready to launch anything remotely that fast is really taking a flyer.

Realistically ntl will be looking at speeds to compete with ADSL-2 if and when the BT based ISPs start to introduce. I'm sure there are other threads on this board about that.

Chris
16-03-2006, 15:55
Aye, come on, PM me. I'd like to check this joker's story out with some of our NTL contacts.

Andrewcrawford23
16-03-2006, 16:13
well my first reaction was when i read that, was no bl**dy way but if it was true i certainyl be happy cause i suspect telewest would eb the same but the question would be begged, would the ssytem handle it and what sort of uplado woul there be if it the same as now they would be takign the mince a 80mb connection with barely 1/2mb upload, but i have to agree the sales person should not devolve that infomation true or not because ther eno garantees it will stay on target

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

and if it is true it nice to see they multiply the bottom tiers by 10 and the top tier by 8

Chris
16-03-2006, 16:17
well my first reaction was when i read that, was no bl**dy way but if it was true i certainyl be happy cause i suspect telewest would eb the same but the question would be begged, would the ssytem handle it and what sort of uplado woul there be if it the same as now they would be takign the mince a 80mb connection with barely 1/2mb upload, but i have to agree the sales person should not devolve that infomation true or not because ther eno garantees it will stay on target

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

and if it is true it nice to see they multiply the bottom tiers by 10 and the top tier by 8
It is true, in the sense that it is inevitable, that one day services will be this fast. Discussion or speculation about how NTL might organise its tiers once such speeds are available is utterly pointless however. There is absolutely no possibility that the information given out by that sales rep is accurate.

Think of it this way: name anything you can currently do on the internet whose performance would be noticably different whether delivered on an 80 or 100 meg line. Once you get to those sorts of speeds, speed-related tiers are irrelevant, unless someone starts offering something via the internet that is currently not available at all (don't no-one say HDTV either, AFAIK you need at least 200Mb, and probably access to the Internet2 network, to do that).

Tuftus
16-03-2006, 16:24

1mb > 10mb
2mb > 20mb
10mb > 80mb

anyone else heard this?

cheers

p

Why can't I have it now?

I want it now!

There, some one had to say it...

:rofl:

Rone
16-03-2006, 16:26
Theres a few people that were selling DVDs on the tv at lunchtime who could benefit from that sort of connection.

If they hadnt been nicked. ;)

Nugget
16-03-2006, 16:31
Theres a few people that were selling DVDs on the tv at lunchtime who could benefit from that sort of connection.

How come they didn't fall off? I hope that they were careful ;)

Stuart
16-03-2006, 17:14

1mb > 10mb
2mb > 20mb
10mb > 80mb

anyone else heard this?

cheers

p

I'll lay odds he is telling porkies. Any big launch like that, and we would have heard about it.

Rone
16-03-2006, 17:15
How come they didn't fall off? I hope that they were careful ;)

Widescreen. :D

parkie
16-03-2006, 20:21
My original post does say September, thats six whole months away, alot can change in the comunications world in that time, I still don't believe it though. As for his details, I'm not that kind of guy.

p

Stuart
16-03-2006, 20:35
It's not a case of grassing him up (although if he is promising things NTL cannot deliver and signs customers up, that *can* cause legal problems), we just need an verifiable source.

Shaun
16-03-2006, 22:01
I had a rep around today trying to sell me digital TV (i've already got broadband and telephone). He said the PVR's are being introduced in September 06 and there will be no extra charge, it's basically going to be a free upgrade!!
He also said you'll be able to record two channels at the same time as watching another.

lets hope he's right

p

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=707781&postcount=230

Free upgrade - Well for me that puts the tin lid on it! :rolleyes:

Ignition
16-03-2006, 22:22
My original post does say September, thats six whole months away, alot can change in the comunications world in that time.

Such as ntl being able to completely switch off analogue or find the cash to do ethernet over coax? Nah ;)

Paul
16-03-2006, 22:22

1mb > 10mb
2mb > 20mb
10mb > 80mb

:rofl: :rofl:

Best laugh today, I think I should move this to Humour :D

Seriously - did he mean Sept 2106 maybe :dozey:

Horizon
16-03-2006, 23:17
It is true, in the sense that it is inevitable, that one day services will be this fast. Discussion or speculation about how NTL might organise its tiers once such speeds are available is utterly pointless however. There is absolutely no possibility that the information given out by that sales rep is accurate.

Think of it this way: name anything you can currently do on the internet whose performance would be noticably different whether delivered on an 80 or 100 meg line. Once you get to those sorts of speeds, speed-related tiers are irrelevant, unless someone starts offering something via the internet that is currently not available at all (don't no-one say HDTV either, AFAIK you need at least 200Mb, and probably access to the Internet2 network, to do that).Sorry, but rubbish.

We know ntl are trialing iptv. We know ntl are trialing video downloading using bittorrent using a fast connection with the option of using a "speed boost button."

If you were to stream hdtv over the internet, then yes you probably would need 200mb. But, for downloading a 45 minute-ish tv hdtv show of about 10GB, a hundred MB connection would make a huge diffrence. Forget hdtv, a standard 350MB tv show or 700mb film would download a lot faster using a 100mb connection, obviously, as would anything. Video conferencing, video calls, CATV, all would need faster connections than presently offered.

I think by the end of the year, ntl will offer a super fast internet/iptv service to customers. If they don't, they will lose all the revenue to piracy.

Graham M
17-03-2006, 08:59
Sorry, but rubbish.

We know ntl are trialing iptv. We know ntl are trialing video downloading using bittorrent using a fast connection with the option of using a "speed boost button."

If you were to stream hdtv over the internet, then yes you probably would need 200mb. But, for downloading a 45 minute-ish tv hdtv show of about 10GB, a hundred MB connection would make a huge diffrence. Forget hdtv, a standard 350MB tv show or 700mb film would download a lot faster using a 100mb connection, obviously, as would anything. Video conferencing, video calls, CATV, all would need faster connections than presently offered.

I think by the end of the year, ntl will offer a super fast internet/iptv service to customers. If they don't, they will lose all the revenue to piracy.

What Bo**ocks! I dont know any Data Networks that could support any more than 2 100MBit users downloading from them at once, can you?

Kevin
17-03-2006, 10:54
I do its called Gigabit mate......fibre to the switch should do 2 x 100mbit without any problems.

Chris
17-03-2006, 10:56
Sorry, but rubbish. <snip>
Why thank you for being so polite. :dozey:

If you re-read my post you'll find I was comparing the relative merits of 80Mb and 100Mb. By my calculation there is a difference in download time of less than 10 seconds for your 700Mb file at those speeds. Hence my conclusion that NTL would not offer tiers based on speed once the standard shifts into the region of 100Mb.

You will also see (if you re-read) that I said there is nothing you cannot already do at today's speeds that you could do at 80-100Mb. You say my example of HDTV is wrong, when in fact you prove my point by then talking about downloading HDTV files. You can in fact do this already. It would take a while longer at 10Mb than 100Mb, but it is perfectly practical.

What you *cannot* do, either at 10Mb or 100Mb, is stream it.

Graham M
17-03-2006, 12:25
I do its called Gigabit mate......fibre to the switch should do 2 x 100mbit without any problems.
Yes but do you know any places in the UK apart from Major Cities that have any sort of Fiber network? Also web hosts rarely have anything over OC192, and if everyone in the world had 100MBit Internet Access noone would ever get full speed and the Internet Would probably die on its ****.

DaggaDagga
17-03-2006, 12:36
I thought a HDTV stream was about 8Mb/sec, if it's MPEG4 compressed. I could be wrong though.

Is the quoted 200Mb/sec the uncompressed data rate? Nobody would ever broadcast this. I doubt Sky will be broadcasting 100+ channels x 200Mb/sec, as that would need a throughput of over 20Gb/sec! I'm not sure if there's enough spectrum in the world to take this lot raining down from their satellite!

Chris
17-03-2006, 12:53
I thought a HDTV stream was about 8Mb/sec, if it's MPEG4 compressed. I could be wrong though.

Is the quoted 200Mb/sec the uncompressed data rate? Nobody would ever broadcast this. I doubt Sky will be broadcasting 100+ channels x 200Mb/sec, as that would need a throughput of over 20Gb/sec! I'm not sure if there's enough spectrum in the world to take this lot raining down from their satellite!

My figures are based on research quoted on this site (http://www.washington.edu/hdtv/). :)

Chrysalis
17-03-2006, 13:06
Neptune running a trial is slightly different then rolling out the equipment needed over their network to supply 100mbit. Or am I mistaken and ubr downstreams suddenly can do 100mbit.

DaggaDagga
17-03-2006, 13:13
From a quick google, it looks like 200Mb was once thought to be what was needed. I think anywhere between 6 and 14Mb is what we're going to end up with, after using MPEG4 and the broadcasters making their quality v cheapness decisions.

So you could stream HDTV down your existing, reliable 10Mb NTL connection without the slightest glitch or hiccup.

I'd be interested to know what rate Sky are using for their HDTV satellite trial, but I bet that's confidential info.

If HDTV is anything like OnDigital was, the "new improved" TV system will look almost as good as its predecessor, after they've compressed the quality out of it! I'd rather have standard-def at a higher bit rate than HDTV with loads of blocks and blurring in it.

Horizon
17-03-2006, 13:45
[quote=Chris T]Why thank you for being so polite. :dozey:
A little harsh perhaps (it was late), by my comment was for the last few of your sentences. As a moderator and someone who reads these forums a lot, you must have realised that the last few sentences, not the 80-100mb stuff, was off kilter.
If you re-read my post you'll find I was comparing the relative merits of 80Mb and 100Mb. Yes I know. By my calculation there is a difference in download time of less than 10 seconds for your 700Mb file at those speeds.What about a true hdtv show at about 10gb? Hence my conclusion that NTL would not offer tiers based on speed once the standard shifts into the region of 100Mb.
I agree, or at least I don't think ntl will offer one tier at 80mb and another at 100mb. What I'm saying is they are not going to offer tiers at those speeds anyway.
So I doub't in the near future, ntl are going to offer us a 24/7 100mb connection. What they are going to offer us, (as pointed out in one of cable forums news releases,) is the chance to access 100mb speeds. So what's the diffrence, one might ask? The diffrence is that rather than giving customers a 24/7 100mb connection, with the new modems ntl are trialling, you can press a speed boost button when downloading video and for a short time, can access higher speeds that are available. It might 100mb, 50mb, or even more than 100mb, if the speed is available at that moment in time.

You will also see (if you re-read) that I said there is nothing you cannot already do at today's speeds that you could do at 80-100Mb. You say my example of HDTV is wrong, when in fact you prove my point by then talking about downloading HDTV files. You can in fact do this already. It would take a while longer at 10Mb than 100Mb, but it is perfectly practical.
A 10GB HDTV show would download a little faster at 100MB per sec rather than 10mb...And I know its perfectly practical to download at 10mb, just takes "more" than a while longer...

What you *cannot* do, either at 10Mb or 100Mb, is stream it.
Yes you can. Look at Sky's tests right now.

Graham M
17-03-2006, 13:46
I think youll find Sky's tests are heavily compressed

bongman_uk
17-03-2006, 15:40
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2072201,00.html

:D

Ok, probably a while till we see anything like it, but still!

Neil
17-03-2006, 15:46
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2072201,00.html

:D

Ok, probably a while till we see anything like it, but still!

Already being discussed here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=44085