PDA

View Full Version : Connection Drop Nottingham

glidem
16-03-2006, 13:29
For the last month I have been experiencing constant connection dropouts. General surfing speed is fine, however I can no longer make Skype calls as it will cut out, I can no longer play on Xbox Live as it will drop connection etc. The modem seems to reset on each occasion and all is fine again after speed wise, but the drop outs happen every 15-20mins, sometimes worse.

I have tried through a router, direct connection to my PC, and direct connection to my
Xbox 360, but still drop outs.

I know there have been nationwide maintenance, but this has been happening for a month, and wondered if anyone had any advice

carlosnotts
16-03-2006, 15:04
same here.
trying to play on xbox live and i keep getting cut off:mad:
i'm on the 1meg cable.was thinking about upgrading the speed to see if that helps?

Woodgar
16-03-2006, 15:53
I'm in NG11 and have been experiencing the same problems for the last couple of weeks at least. From other threads in the forum, it seems that the problem is quite widespread at the moment.

It has made browsing irritating, downloading frustrating and gaming impossible.

carlosnotts
16-03-2006, 15:55
i'm in ng5.
i'm seriously considering changing suppliers but after being with ntl for 5 years virtually hassle free i'm a bit reluctant.

glidem
16-03-2006, 16:02
i'm in ng5.
i'm seriously considering changing suppliers but after being with ntl for 5 years virtually hassle free i'm a bit reluctant.

I am also NG5, well as least it appears to be not just me affected for so long which was my main worry.

Changing ISP isn't going to make my life any easier, I just hope NTL sort it out this week. Don't they know Ghost Recon III was just released :)

carlosnotts
16-03-2006, 16:14
i just got fnr3 for my 360 and everytime i go online to fight i get kicked.makes me look like a quitter:mad: :mad:
so £40 a year for live,£1 8 per month for bband and at the mo its useless:(

glidem
16-03-2006, 16:18
I know how you feel :(

Rone
16-03-2006, 19:58
Nobody here going to tell us its going to get fixed anytime soon either. :(

glidem
16-03-2006, 20:51
Nobody here going to tell us its going to get fixed anytime soon either. :(

What annoys me is that I have monitoring the Service Status, and when you think one week of maintanance has completed, another one appears :( but hey surely it can not be much longer now.

Rone
16-03-2006, 22:31
What annoys me is that I have monitoring the Service Status, and when you think one week of maintanance has completed, another one appears :( but hey surely it can not be much longer now.

I think they said that when the war started in 1939. :(

chrisjones
16-03-2006, 22:51
Im in Harrogate (dunno what area that is cable wise) having issues with some urls tonight. Oh what fun.

*scratch that it JUST all popped back on - for how long is anyones guess.*

Gster
16-03-2006, 23:32
NG17 no problems.....sweet as a nut

carlosnotts
17-03-2006, 14:53
just been on to indian call centre about my probs and the bloke says i was on the wrong ubr server.
says it should be ok now the ubr server has been changed for me.
i wonder if i've been fobbed off?
best go an try some online xboxing in a minute.

glidem
17-03-2006, 15:16
just been on to indian call centre about my probs and the bloke says i was on the wrong ubr server.

Well hopefully that will solve it for me as well then, let me know how you get on :) and add GlideManiac to your Xbox Live as well while your at it! :D

Stuart
17-03-2006, 15:25
I am sure one of our NTL staff will be along to correct me, but IIRC, your modem is *physically* connected to a UBR card. This card is inside the UBR. Therefore, to move you to another card would require an engineer to visit (as your cable would have to unplugged, then plugged into the new card).

Moving your connection to a new UBR would require the network to be redesigned in your area. This incurs an awful lot of expense for NTL, and they wouldn't do it purely on the say so of one Customer Services person.

So, yes, you probably have been fobbed off, and I would recommend you report it. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=81

nottscarl
17-03-2006, 23:11
I too have had painfully slow speeds for the last week, like 1/10th of the speed (2mb) i wonder how much help the indian call centre will be, i am in NG2

nffc
17-03-2006, 23:18
NG4 is fine.

chrispuk2004
18-03-2006, 12:51
im in NG19... i had the same problem until yesterday, where an engineer came out, swapped my old box for a new CM ntl250 and now everythings back up to speed :D

glidem
25-03-2006, 23:28
Just thought I had better give an update....

Engineer came out and replaced my Teryon modem for the ntl250 which works fine. Mentioned something about the older Teryon not being compatible with the new alterations to the NTL network, and because of this, a lot are dropping connections.

So 10mb now and all good again, thank goodness :)

Thanks everyone who replied.

magpie03
26-03-2006, 02:15
I am also NG5,
NG5 here too, and I'm suffering with regular drop outs. An ntl employee has done a remote check on the modem, and its averaging 35 minutes before dropping out. At his last count it had gone through 1111 reboots recently.

I have an engineer coming on Monday (hopefully) to look at the modem / connection / green box. I'll ask if its a problem elsewhere in the NGx area and see what he says...

What are the odds on 'Its your Terayon modem, mate"?

Druchii
26-03-2006, 05:25
NG5 here too, and I'm suffering with regular drop outs. An ntl employee has done a remote check on the modem, and its averaging 35 minutes before dropping out. At his last count it had gone through 1111 reboots recently. I have an engineer coming on Monday (hopefully) to look at the modem / connection / green box. I'll ask if its a problem elsewhere in the NGx area and see what he says... What are the odds on 'Its your Terayon modem, mate"? Evens...

But hey, as long as he's right, who cares, get it swapped and you should be set :)

glidem
26-03-2006, 10:43
Good luck magpie :)

Woodgar
26-03-2006, 19:39
Just thought I had better give an update....

Engineer came out and replaced my Teryon modem for the ntl250 which works fine. Mentioned something about the older Teryon not being compatible with the new alterations to the NTL network, and because of this, a lot are dropping connections.

So 10mb now and all good again, thank goodness :)

Thanks everyone who replied. I had an engineer on Friday, the same day as you, and was told exactly the same information; ie the Terayon modems are not compatible with the new changes leading to constant connection drops.

He mentioned something about the new power levels being too high for the Terayons which are rated at 0dB. I know almost nothing about networking but the explanation he gave fitted with what I had observed.

The engineer fitted a new ntl250 which solved all of my problems as well, although as I'm only on 2mb I can't really comment on the higher tiers.

glidem
26-03-2006, 19:51
If you go to the NTL website, you can upgrade to 10mb there.

Glad you had the same experience.