PDA

View Full Version : Why no volume control?

The Watcher
24-11-2003, 00:37
Does anyone know why I have two completely useless buttons on my remote? My brother has Telewest and they have worked out that buttons that say + Vol - should change the volume. Ex CWC if that makes any difference!

Dooby
24-11-2003, 08:11
its probably to avoid all the calls to tech support complaining that 'when I tape something I get no sound...'
because they have turned the sound down at some point on the STB, and then later when they wanted to turn it back up, they used the tv remote...

I spent 3 years trying to explain why this happened to my in laws (on analogue) and then gave up.

bloody annoying, and tbh seeing as it was changed so that one of the signals never goes into standby ( cant remember which, video scart? ) to avoid similar problems, why not just have it that the volume control only affects the sound output to the TV scart, or the audio outputs, or something like that or, hey heres an idea MAKE IT AN OPTION, you know in the audio settings or something.

gary_580
24-11-2003, 08:52
Dont forget NTL customer arent clever enough to understand things like this and ermm capping?

Frank
24-11-2003, 09:28
You have to programme the remote control for your TV using a code. There is a list of them which came with the TV.

Dooby
24-11-2003, 11:43
You have to programme the remote control for your TV using a code. There is a list of them which came with the TV.
?? never heard of that one, I know sky works like that, but never heard of that with NTL...

handyman
24-11-2003, 12:44

Only the new remote controls have this feature.

Please remember that in order to get one of these free you have to return a non working remote to ntl otherwise your charged £25.

seniorbod
24-11-2003, 13:45
its probably to avoid all the calls to tech support complaining that 'when I tape something I get no sound...'
because they have turned the sound down at some point on the STB, and then later when they wanted to turn it back up, they used the tv remote...

I spent 3 years trying to explain why this happened to my in laws (on analogue) and then gave up.

bloody annoying, and tbh seeing as it was changed so that one of the signals never goes into standby ( cant remember which, video scart? ) to avoid similar problems, why not just have it that the volume control only affects the sound output to the TV scart, or the audio outputs, or something like that or, hey heres an idea MAKE IT AN OPTION, you know in the audio settings or something.
THE volume controls on my NTL remote work OK. They didn't at first but after one of the upgrades I discovered they worked (not that NTL told me!)

Frank
24-11-2003, 14:51
Only the new remote controls have this feature.
Ah right sorry.

badnbusy
30-11-2003, 12:52
ntl ex-cwc volume has never worked, and will probably never work. Simple as... This has been discussed so many times now. But pace/ntl/whoever won't activate it in ex-cwc.

And yes, even the analogue boxes had volume control....and it worked!

Note to ntl: We dont want the remote to change the TV volume, we want it to change the STB volume. That isnt hard, is it? The Pace boxes already have a volume control built in, its in the Engineers' menu

djhipflask
07-12-2003, 09:41
ntl ex-cwc volume has never worked, and will probably never work. Simple as... This has been discussed so many times now. But pace/ntl/whoever won't activate it in ex-cwc.

And yes, even the analogue boxes had volume control....and it worked!

Note to ntl: We dont want the remote to change the TV volume, we want it to change the STB volume. That isnt hard, is it? The Pace boxes already have a volume control built in, its in the Engineers' menu

How do I get the engineers menu up?

poolking
07-12-2003, 09:56
How do I get the engineers menu up?
I was going to ask the same question, I knew how to do it but didn't write it down so I forgot. :)

Lord Nikon
07-12-2003, 19:14
OK, look at the STB, on the front there is a D pad (buttons for all 4 directions)

reset the STB (pull the plug & plug it back in) and hold down the UP & DOWN arrows on the D Pad, this will bring up the engineers menu

asdf
08-12-2003, 00:30
Depending on model. Isn't it?

sherer
08-12-2003, 11:25
Depending on model. Isn't it?

what extra options do you get on the engineers menu ?

snuffs99
09-12-2003, 03:20
Nothing worth worrying about.

Unless you know what you are doing i would advise against messing with OTHER options.

If it ain't broke springs to mind.