PDA

View Full Version : More than 1 ip?

DrK
14-03-2006, 21:33
Does anyone know if NTL do more than 1 Ip number per connection.. cant seem to find anything , ive tried search.lol

for example 81.96.433.101

and 81.23.434.212

i want to use a hub etc, so i can do some things i need two seperate ips for..

thxs

simpsonsFAN
14-03-2006, 21:36
NTL used to provide a "gamesconsole service", which was basically a second IP address bundled with a a two-port hub, for £2 a month.

However, they scrapped this service about december last year time, dont know why. If you want another IP now you need to take out a NTL business contract I think...

-Chris

Chris W
14-03-2006, 21:39
why not use a router rather than a hub? then you only need one WAN ip

DrK
14-03-2006, 21:43
Already got a router bud, 4 port running 3 machines and a media server, thats fine no problems there, Now i find myself in need of 2ips.
i hope they still do somethink like the gameconsole bundle...

thxs for replies

andybarker
14-03-2006, 21:47
Only reason I can think of for more than one IP is if more than one machine needs to host something on the same port (i.e. two webservers).

Unusual to want this on a home connection.

Stuart
14-03-2006, 21:51
Only reason I can think of for more than one IP is if more than one machine needs to host something on the same port (i.e. two webservers).

Unusual to want this on a home connection.
Nothing stopping the OP running the webservers on different ports.

DrK: You could try a business connection.

DrK
14-03-2006, 22:00
Not webservers.
I have 3 Pcs, and a media server, all hardwired into a router, 1PC is mine( where i hide the good parts and a big Do not touch sign, for my kids) 2nd PC is familys, general use etc, 3rd PC is the wifes( i learnt the hard way seperate childern from harddrives with important stuff on, ive had no viruses for 2years) the media servers hardwired from the family PC too its control center, and goes wireless from there into all the kids bedrooms, lounge and the bathroom.

My eldest daughter adores gaming, and its starting to affect our 10mb line now, when she dives into her cyber battle zone, no one else can play anything( sorry im a counterstrike fan on the odd day) and my other daughter likes simple online games, with 1 ip we are having to share the time.. which causes fighting between my 2 daughters( bless um) 2 ips would mean peace and quiet for me, of cause by answering yes to the 2ips means i have to buy another PC.

thxs again..

MovedGoalPosts
14-03-2006, 22:03
Get a router which offers a QoS so you can restrict bandwidth

DrK
14-03-2006, 22:04
wouldn't change the problem of only 1 person playing online at the same time.

thxs

dilli-theclaw
14-03-2006, 22:06
wouldn't change the problem of only 1 person playing online at the same time.

thxsThere's something odd going on there - I was at a lan party the other week with a 2mb connection and there was more than 6peopple playing on-line at once without problems.

DrK
14-03-2006, 22:11
Excuse me if im wrong, but isnt a LAN where you are simply playing with yourselfs( pardon the pun) internally, your not directly connected out, Ive never known of any connection with just 1 ip to be able to play completely different games on different servers/hosts.. for example say Battlefield 2, and Starwars on there servers at the same time.

Please feel free to correct me, would be a blessing if it was possible as you suggest.

dilli-theclaw
14-03-2006, 22:14
Excuse me if im wrong, but isnt a LAN where you are simply playing with yourselfs( pardon the pun) internally, your not directly connected out, Ive never known of any connection with just 1 ip to be able to play completely different games on different servers/hosts.. for example say Battlefield 2, and Starwars on there servers at the same time.

Please feel free to correct me, would be a blessing if it was possible as you suggest.Yes we were connecten internally - but were using the 'hosts' external connection as well. Basically we were using his internet to connect ALL of our computers to the internet when we weren't playing on the internal connection.

Anyway when I said there was more than 6 people playing I meant on an external (to the lan) connection.

Edit - we were playing battlefield 2 - Medal of Honor and call of duty.

If you see what I mean.

DrK
14-03-2006, 22:20
Hmm im amazed, maybe you could walk me through this, So in thoery all of my computers could/can play online( say mdel of honor, call of duty and bf2) all at the same time, from just 1 ip?, what about if they wanted to go in the same room? it would be nice to go in as a Newbie and savagely spawn kill my aughter once in awhile

thxs

bopdude
14-03-2006, 22:22
Anyway when I said there was more than 6 people playing I meant on an external (to the lan) connection.

Edit - we were playing battlefield 2 - Medal of Honor and call of duty.

If you see what I mean.
Yep, as I remember it, there were 4 peeps playing BF2 online, a few playing moh over the lan, and peeps surfing the net in general, on a 2 meg connection :Yikes: :tu: :tu:

Hmm im amazed, maybe you could walk me through this, So in thoery all of my computers could/can play online( say mdel of honor, call of duty and bf2) all at the same time, from just 1 ip?, what about if they wanted to go in the same room? it would be nice to go in as a Newbie and savagely spawn kill my aughter once in awhile

thxs

I'm sure one of our LAN network guru's willl be along soon enough :tu:

dilli-theclaw
14-03-2006, 22:24

thxsOk - for example. At home here. I have 3 computers connected to the internet.

All I have is a standard rotuer and there is no problems at all in playing medal of honor with all three machines at once. (Which is myself - the missus and my son). Obviously you need a copy of the game per machine.

Anyway it all works out of the box here so for more detailed setup you should wait for one of our network guru's to post.

I have a wireless connection at home so my laptop can be anywhere in and around the house while playing.

MovedGoalPosts
14-03-2006, 22:28
As the bod who hosted that LAN party I tell you exactly what we had. My ntl 2 meg connection via the Samsung STB and a Linksys WRT54GS router. 18 computers were wired via ethernet through a series of switches simply to reduce the cabling, but the router did all the DHCP stuff for the network.

Yes we had servers for some of the LAN games, but frequently we had people playing on internet based servers especially for Batlefield 2 where more than one of the LAN based gamers were on the same internet server. I think at one time we had 6 on an internet based BF2 server.

Whilst some were LAN gaming, some were internet gaming, others were doing general web browsing often to CF including some uploads. One of our server admins was even moving data onto the new internet based clan gaming server. At times the internet response did slow up a bit, but never once did it all come tumbling down over a 40 hour period.

And before anyone says something I know about the 3 PC limit in the AUP, but it was a one off ;)

DrK
14-03-2006, 22:31
Wow thankyou all. i shall have to retire for the evening and check back tomorrow. thank you for all your replies.

DrK