PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Celt has died

ikthius
13-03-2006, 23:10
I can't believe no one has made a thread about this!?

The greatest ever celtic player died today of motor nuerons disease.

The great Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/4801582.stm)

R.I.P.

ik

TheBlueRaja
13-03-2006, 23:14
Although i have a hatred for everything "Old Firm" i know he was a player who achieved so much for Celtic and who was respected so much by thier fans.

R.I.P. mate!

ikthius
13-03-2006, 23:21
Although i have a hatred for everything "Old Firm" i know he was a player who achieved so much for Celtic and who was respected so much by thier fans.

R.I.P. mate!

he was also a great scotland player!

ik

Xaccers
14-03-2006, 05:21
I turn off as soon as they start calling it seltic.
Actually, who am I kidding? I turn off as soon as they mention football!

5 years fighting motor neurone disease shows just how strong he was.
Perhaps this loss will spur the debate into stem cell research and help bring us closer to a cure.

Stephen
14-03-2006, 07:32
RIP Jinky,

Football has lost a legend. I was lucky to have met him once, he was a really great bloke.

Derek
14-03-2006, 08:44
He was respected by a great number from 'the other side' as well. Like Jim Baxter and Davy Cooper he had the ability that grew beyond team rivalry.

Its good to see some Rangers scarves outside Celtic park as well. Hopefully if there is minutes silence on Sunday the idiots won't ruin it.

ikthius
14-03-2006, 11:44
well sunday is the CIS cup final between Celtic and Dunfermline, I am sure they will respect the minutes silence.

I hope Celtic get their request allowed, to let all of the celtic players wear the number 7

ik

Derek
14-03-2006, 11:51
And the Rangers Vs Hearts game. Maybe a minutes applause instead of silence would be best for that.

That would be a good tribute, maybe retiring the jersey after it.

Still I wouldn't hold your breath for the SFA to go for it. Sounds a bit too much like common sense for them!

ikthius
14-03-2006, 12:39
And the Rangers Vs Hearts game. Maybe a minutes applause instead of silence would be best for that.

That would be a good tribute, maybe retiring the jersey after it.

Still I wouldn't hold your breath for the SFA to go for it. Sounds a bit too much like common sense for them!

true about SFA,

And I would like to see most of the country change from a minutes silence to a minutes applause, as this would drown out the idiots that ruin minute silences for any club.
just my :2cents:

ik

Derek
14-03-2006, 12:45
And I would like to see most of the country change from a minutes silence to a minutes applause, as this would drown out the idiots that ruin minute silences for any club.

Yup. I remember being at Ibrox for the first home game after Jim Baxter died when some ****** started shouting about 30 seconds into it. :mad:

Changing it to the minutes applause would help drown out the pondlife.

Stephen
14-03-2006, 13:20
I agree a minutes applause would be a lot better, however I don't think they should retire the number 7 shirt.

I have been up to parkhead to pay my respect, it really is some sight up their with all the tributes from fans. There are even some rangers scarfs around as well.

Scottish football really has lost a hero.

sherer
14-03-2006, 13:36
not sure if i agree with this retiring shirt numbers.. it's an honour to wear the same number as a legend like Jimmy and it helps spurs the player on

9 titles in a row though what a record plus a European Cup Winners medal and a losers medal from 70 too

a true legend

i always find silences quite moving and a minutes applause doesn't have the same mark of respect

if i was standing next to someone who started shouting i'd point them out to a steward and they should be banned for life