PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about BB installation - cables

Rachel
13-03-2006, 21:13
Hi everyone,

We live in a terraced house, and currently we have NTL digital TV and phone. We need to get broadband. However the NTL box is downstairs in the living room, and the computers are upstairs in the spare bedroom, on the other side of the house.

Would this cost loads in extra installation fees? What would the engineer do?

I was thinking of putting a PC in the living room and connecting a wireless router but to be honest we can't fit a PC in there.

Thanks for any advice.
Rachel.

Halcyon
13-03-2006, 21:22
You can still have a Wireless router as that will broadcast to the whole house, not just the living room.

Rachel
13-03-2006, 21:27
Thanks for the advice - do you think I should get them to fit it to a router (doesn't it need to attatch to a PC, physically?) then set all that up from there?

Would it be a massive hassle for them to directly install it in the bedroom?

Just wanna know what the best/easiest thing would be :)

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
13-03-2006, 21:50
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

You don't need to have a PC and a router permanantly adjacent to each other. You don't even need to have the router immediately adacent to the modem or Set Top Box.

You do need to be able to run an ethernet cable between the modem / STB and the router, but that can be up to 100m in length!

If you are using a wired connection from the router to the PC, again the wire can be up to 100m long. Alternatively wireless connections can be used so, depending on signal strength) you can be some distance away.

NTL will only supply the broadband connection, i.e. the Set Top Box or the cable modem. If they do use the STB ( typically only for slower connections) they will just bring a longish ethernet cable for your to plug in the one PC. If they install a new modem, additional to your existing STB, you will be able to have that anywhere in the house (within reason) provided they can run a new cable from the box on the outside of your house to the modem location.

If you need a router, you will have to provide that yourself.

benboy
13-03-2006, 21:53
No the router attaches to the modem. You would need either a PCI card or USB dongle to receive the signal from the router.

I would of thought a bedroom modem install would fall out of the realms of a 'standard' installation.

Halcyon
13-03-2006, 22:02
So basically, leave your set up where it currently is. No need to move it.
You buy a Wireless router.
Seee HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33018) for reccomended routers and look at the Wireless ones.
If your PC doesnt have a Wireless card, you can pick up a Wireless PCI card or a USB wireless stick.

The only things that need to be next to each other are the router as it is connected to the set top box or Cable modem via ethernet wire.
The PC can be anywhere round your home as it will connect wirelessly to the router.
Plus if you have any other computers, they will be able to use the router too.