PDA

View Full Version : 10 Meg Broadband & ntl:home 120 modem

jingleman
08-03-2006, 18:49
I've read so much in past week about NTL 10 Meg and ADSL 8 Meg I don't know what I've read where anymore :confused:

What is it about the ntl:home 120 modem that is not compatible with 10meg service - just very briefly - why do you have to upgrade the modem, please?

I appreciate there is a £50 charge to upgrade the modem (regardless of what we think), I just need to 'refresh' my tired little grey cells as to why :sleep:

Cheers

Chris W
08-03-2006, 19:25
contact ntl and ask for a new modem, they'll charge you £50 and install an ntl home 250 :)

monkey2468
08-03-2006, 19:52
My ambit 120 has been fine since the firmware upgrade.

jingleman
08-03-2006, 20:40
My ambit 120 has been fine since the firmware upgrade.

Oh, thanks, that's good news. Wonder why I thought you HAD to upgrade modem ?

contact ntl and ask for a new modem, they'll charge you £50 and install an ntl home 250 :)

Steady on, if my 120 will work just fine like monkey2468 says, then I may as well save £50 :cool:

mcmanic
08-03-2006, 21:11
its only fine because they had to rollback to firmware 02 after a serious failure with 03 that made your NTL120 freeze at random.

and i thought they only charged £50 for STB users who wanted 10meg not SACM users as the STB cannot do 10meg.

jingleman
08-03-2006, 21:22
its only fine because they had to rollback to firmware 02 after a serious failure with 03 that made your NTL120 freeze at random.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

and i thought they only charged £50 for STB users who wanted 10meg not SACM users as the STB cannot do 10meg.

I stand corrected. I just had it in my head somewhere about upgrade being charged, didn't occur to me only about STB. I only have broadband with NTL, nothing else.

Looks like they may be keeping me as a customer after all :)

jingleman
13-03-2006, 21:47
To try and keep me as a customer, I have been upgraded to 10Meg. However, the bad news is it freezes regularly like the home:120 does without firmware regression. As it shows this: ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr I assume this to be firmware version 2.

It's happily going along at 1.5 Meg (another time another thread) then just stops, modem doesn't reboot, just freezes for a few minutes, no d/s or u/s lights - then after a few minutes just comes back to life.

As a 2 Meg modem it wasn't too bad. Any suggestions before I try Tech Support, or just carry out my original intention and close account, as I can get 8Meg from BT (Exchange is just 2 minutes walk away)

Thanks

cliffc
13-03-2006, 22:17
I've read so much in past week about NTL 10 Meg and ADSL 8 Meg I don't know what I've read where anymore :confused:

What is it about the ntl:home 120 modem that is not compatible with 10meg service - just very briefly - why do you have to upgrade the modem, please?

I appreciate there is a £50 charge to upgrade the modem (regardless of what we think), I just need to 'refresh' my tired little grey cells as to why :sleep:

Cheers
Hi

I had the 120 modem when i upgraded the modem would not work constantly it kept rebooting, I got on to tech support and got no where but when i rang customer services, thay sent out a teccy with a new 250 for free.

Cliff C

jingleman
14-03-2006, 21:19
Hi

I had the 120 modem when i upgraded the modem would not work constantly it kept rebooting, I got on to tech support and got no where but when i rang customer services, thay sent out a teccy with a new 250 for free.

Cliff C

Thanks Cliff C.

I will ring Customer Services, if they can't help with a free modem upgrade, the off to Zen I go :Yikes:

Modem froze tonight 4 times in 30 minutes, absolute zero d/s :(

Pinkypants
14-03-2006, 21:24
Thanks Cliff C.

I will ring Customer Services, if they can't help with a free modem upgrade, the off to Zen I go :Yikes:

Modem froze tonight 4 times in 30 minutes, absolute zero d/s :(

You need to get in contact with Technical support not customer services if you wish to get it resolved.. if customer services wont do the free upgrade, then thats the only viable option.

cliffc
16-03-2006, 05:53
You need to get in contact with Technical support not customer services if you wish to get it resolved.. if customer services wont do the free upgrade, then thats the only viable option.

Hi pinky

I did phone technical support 1st and thay were insisting that the modem was not faulty, I knew there was a problem as i read about it in another forum, after a fruitless half hour on the phone to the out of uk tech support, I then called customer services who transferd me to a UK based tech support guy and he imedialely booked me a call out and lo and behold a nice new modem for free, I had to be very insistant it was the modem, and it did help that i am a computer technician by trade so thay could not fob me off with the ususal its something in your computer stuff. However I must add that this was before the firmware upgrade was avilible so thay may not be so keen to give the free modem now, unless of course you have had the firmware upgrade and your still getting issues, then you should have a case, after all why should you have to pay for an upgrade to a modem that is not working, I can understand the charge if you just wanted a snazzy new modem because you fancyed one but not if the modem is broken.

Cliff C