PDA

View Full Version : 2Mb gamming lag

BassMuk
08-03-2006, 00:12
i read a few posts around and it seems a few ppl are having similar problems.. but no one seems to have found a solution.

i used to have a 1Mb connection in which Age of Empires ran smoothly .. a bit of lag now and again but overall very good.

After upgrading to a 2 Mb and upgrading my setup box as well i being having lag problems..

P4 2.4 Ghz
Windows XP
GeForce 6600
1Gb ram

the first thing i notice was that at my g/f house i don't have any lag (she has a 1 Mb connection) so to make sure it wasn't my pc i brough her pc around and played on my line .... lag continuos. tried direct connetion to the setup box and though a router on both pc's ... both lags.

tried different cables

tried taking my pc to her house and worked fine

tried taking my pc to the next door neighbour which has a 2Mb connection same as mine ... it lags. (exactly as mine btw).

I even convinced them to change the setupbox btw and still lags.

i can only assume this is a problem with the ISP (NTL)!!!

or can someone suggests something?? (apart fro going back to a 1Mb lol)

many thanks

hammered
08-03-2006, 09:01
Putting it bluntly, there is nothng you can do apart from complain to NTL about it. Basically NTL are not doing anything about this problem, so the more people complain to them about it (and probably threaten to leave them) the better. Then maybe they'll get round to sorting the problem out...

BTW,
It doesn't matter what service you go on the problem will be the same. It's an issue that NTL don't think warrant sorting. I don't think they realise just how many people actually play online... They will blame anything, but their own network. Most of the time it's blamed on P2P people...

deadite66
08-03-2006, 16:29
or change to dsl like i was forced to do, i told them as much when i got the phone call to confirm disconnection of all my cable services.

ppolo99
08-03-2006, 16:45
or move house :P

sav112
08-03-2006, 17:18
I'm on 2mb and going back to 1mb as it did nothing for me game wise, better downloads but i dont do much so no point paying. my friend pays 14.99 for 2mb with telewest and im not paying £10 more for the same spped although his seems so much better than my Ntl.

Chrysalis
08-03-2006, 18:31
or move house :P

best advice on ntl's postcode lottery service.

BassMuk
08-03-2006, 18:45
i live within 2 miles from NTL :S

V3n0m
08-03-2006, 18:50
No point complaining,cos they just don't care:rolleyes:

Graham M
08-03-2006, 19:21
i live within 2 miles from NTL :S
uh? 2 Miles of what part of NTL? That's like saying "I've been in the building where they keep that Internet thing they're always talking about" :D

hammered
08-03-2006, 19:25
No point complaining,cos they just don't care:rolleyes:

Did you change over to ADSL in the end V3n0m?

Chrysalis
09-03-2006, 01:44
to stop gaming lag an isp generally needs to either make sure they have spare bandwidth so say eg. not let utilisation top 80% or even lower then that because even before a pipe gets filled latency will increase and spike or they have to shape traffic.

ntl appear to find it acceptable pipes can be full and even overflowing before they warrant an upgrade so the upgrade policy doesnt cater for gamers which is why they not garantueeing any kind of latency.

The only way I can see things improve for gamers now is if they implement some kind of shaping as they never going to provision the bandwidth needed for it.

jtwn
09-03-2006, 01:47
Overflowing eh.

Chrysalis
09-03-2006, 01:58
simple terms like trying to push 120mbit over 100mbit link, I hope that explains what I mean jtwn.

hammered
09-03-2006, 09:42
Doesn't this mean then, that NTL are breaking their own T&C's with regards to providing an acceptable service???
If they are overloading their own kit, then they are being unresponsible towards their customers and should be reported to OFTEL (or who-ever it is). We shouldn't have to put up with this kind of service from them. I might even dig into this a bit further to find out if this can be reported...
Afterall, it's not as if we're paying peanuts for the service...

Chrysalis
09-03-2006, 15:06
its a big if. They may well not be doing that it just seems like it.

End of the day its a contended product so if too many people are using it at the same time it will be an overflowing situation and they wouldnt be breaking t&c it is tough luck. What we can hope for as customers is that we get a service one would generally expect from broadband and an equal level of performance as other areas which are good but ntl are not obliged to provide this.

V3n0m
10-03-2006, 04:36
Did you change over to ADSL in the end V3n0m?

Nah mate....after looking into it i found it too much of a pain to change,so instead i'm going to go back to 1Mb connection as this will work out loads cheaper and still get the same performance for gaming as i do with 10Mb.

hammered
10-03-2006, 10:01
I must admit, I am getting more and more tempted to change my package back down to the 2mb line...

Chrysalis
10-03-2006, 21:43
try for a discounted 10meg first, thats what I was going to do today but was too busy so if they not open tommorow will do first thing on monday.

My issue is been worked on but I think in the mean time until its resolved I deserve a price drop to reflect the performance.