PDA

View Full Version : 2 Gbps Internet Trial

Neil
07-03-2006, 11:22
Residents living in Shoreditch, East London, are reportedly set to become the first in the world to trial internet access speeds of 2 billion bits per second (2 Gbps).

According to The Times, the government-funded ultra-fast internet trial will involve 20,000 homes linked to the Telehouse data centre in London's Docklands via a fibre-optic network..

Linky #1 (http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=193&id=1517)

Linky #2 (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,170-2072201,00.html)

Derek
07-03-2006, 11:27
*Sits and waits for someone to complain about Ntl not offering this and for the is-it-capped? questions to begin*

It would be good but 9 times out of 10 you'd be waiting for other sites outwith your local area to provide the information.

UncleBooBoo
07-03-2006, 13:22
Hey when are NTL going to match this?

Ohhh yea and what is the monthly cap going to be?

:LOL:

Paul
07-03-2006, 13:36
Pretty pointless unless the server they are connecting to is also in Telehouse.

punky
07-03-2006, 14:02
Pretty pointless unless the server they are connecting to is also in Telehouse.

If they want 2gbps, yeah... But regardless their speeds will far, far exceed 10mbps. It would be interesting to see what general speeds they do get on average over a week.

Telehouse is a major data center so a fair chunk of web hosting is co-located there, and a fair chunk of bandwidth flows though too... So its not like it will only affect a small proportion of websites. Its like having an OC-12 to OC-48 connection at home. (assuming the 2gbps is syncronous, not asyncronous)

Chrysalis
07-03-2006, 17:38
it will be very fast I expect, funny how the government will fund stuff like this in london but not general fibre rollout nationally.

Stuart
07-03-2006, 17:41
it will be very fast I expect, funny how the government will fund stuff like this in london but not general fibre rollout nationally.

I suspect it's got more to do with the proximity to Telehouse, and therefore cheaper access to huge amounts of bandwidth.

jtwn
07-03-2006, 23:28
Services will be delivered over a high speed connection, 8mb/s and will be accessed via either a TV set top box or PC.

http://www.digitalbridge.org.uk/content/broadband.html

Ignition
07-03-2006, 23:44
If they want 2gbps, yeah... But regardless their speeds will far, far exceed 10mbps. It would be interesting to see what general speeds they do get on average over a week.

Telehouse is a major data center so a fair chunk of web hosting is co-located there, and a fair chunk of bandwidth flows though too... So its not like it will only affect a small proportion of websites. Its like having an OC-12 to OC-48 connection at home. (assuming the 2gbps is syncronous, not asyncronous)

Hrm buzzwords for the win Punkster, we don't use OC connections in the UK and an OC-48 is equivalent of 2.5Gbps -ish so that doesn't really apply either.

Their speeds won't far, far exceed 10Mbps as they are only getting 24Mbps for internet usage and TV, and they are sharing that 2Gbps with every home on the trial. That is the total bandwidth available to all, not to any one house.

jtwn - ta for the link. This actually looks like ADSL and nothing more, and the 2Gbps is a LES-1000 going into the exchange and a LES-1000 going out of the exchange. Will max up to 24Mbps once ADSL2+ is available.

I have a feeling I have this '2 Gbps' service already, I'm on HomeChoice aka Video Networks...

punky
08-03-2006, 01:39
Hrm buzzwords for the win Punkster, we don't use OC connections in the UK and an OC-48 is equivalent of 2.5Gbps -ish so that doesn't really apply either.

Which would be why I said "it would be like..." as to opposed to saying "its the same as..."

But you got me on the speed of a OC-48 connection though. Although I don't really have the inclination to memorise all the transmissions speeds of optical carriers. I knew it was around 2gbps. Anyways, I only mentioned those so users can compare the speed offered in this trial to those of major corporate networks they may have heard about.

I didn't know that the peak throughput would be capped at 24mbps per household though...

Ignition
08-03-2006, 11:53
Which would be why I said "it would be like..." as to opposed to saying "its the same as..."

But you got me on the speed of a OC-48 connection though. Although I don't really have the inclination to memorise all the transmissions speeds of optical carriers. I knew it was around 2gbps. Anyways, I only mentioned those so users can compare the speed offered in this trial to those of major corporate networks they may have heard about.

I didn't know that the peak throughput would be capped at 24mbps per household though...

That's in the future, it'll be 8Mbit initially as it's ADSL ;)

EDIT: If this weren't government backed the ASA would be giving the people in question a kicking. This is no deeper fibre than standard ADSL.

Chrysalis
08-03-2006, 18:03
so its another one of those cases where the media gets over excited and prints rubbish.

punky
08-03-2006, 18:50
That's in the future, it'll be 8Mbit initially as it's ADSL ;)

EDIT: If this weren't government backed the ASA would be giving the people in question a kicking. This is no deeper fibre than standard ADSL.

How do you mean this is ADSL?... Are the homes connected to the 2gbps link by ADSL 2+ or something?

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

so its another one of those cases where the media gets over excited and prints rubbish.

Seems like it... Although re-reading the first two links, I just can't see any other way of intrepreting it... Definitely misleading in light of that Digital Bridge article...

Although pretending home users were getting a 2gbps like the article inferred...Didn't think about the network card.. Can you get the new 10 gigbit ethernet cards yet? And if so, I wonder could computers process information coming in that fast? I guess they could if computers can write to SATA2 drives at something like 2.5 gbps...

Ignition
09-03-2006, 18:37
A gigabit LES-1000 into the exchange and one out of it and there's your 2 gbit. Fairly common ring architecture.