PDA

View Full Version : Extended wire from brown hub to white box

danielbb
07-03-2006, 00:10
Hi i wonder if anyone can help me.

I have cable broadband, I replaced the black cable from the brown hub on front of my house to the white box in my house was 5m now 10m. I used some cable the installer left behind i think its RG6, i used some screw fit f connectors, Now my motorola router receive led blinks at me. Anyone suggest whats wrong. The wire is unbroken, i tested that.

Does the outer sheiving need to be earthed in the white box?
Is there some anti tamper thing i dont know about?

Any help much appreciated.

MovedGoalPosts
07-03-2006, 12:56
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

It can be as simple as a connection not being as electrically sound as you think it is. Many of the cable crimp fittings are not available in the shops.

Changing the cable length can also affect the signal strength, interference etc and if yours was marginal the increased length resistenace could be just enough.

Realistically every part of the cable up to the point that it connects to the modem, master phone socket or Television Set Top Box, is Telewest, not customer maintained. You shouldn't alter it as you can (as you have now fouond) upset your own connection, or that of your neighgbours.

handyman
07-03-2006, 13:27
Hi i wonder if anyone can help me.

I have cable broadband, I replaced the black cable from the brown hub on front of my house to the white box in my house was 5m now 10m. I used some cable the installer left behind i think its RG6, i used some screw fit f connectors, Now my motorola router receive led blinks at me. Anyone suggest whats wrong. The wire is unbroken, i tested that.

Does the outer sheiving need to be earthed in the white box?
Is there some anti tamper thing i dont know about?

Any help much appreciated.

I must be giving these guys loads of work....

Try some of their cables :-) http://www.mediachannels.co.uk/cableandfittings.htm

Don't listen to those that say use sat cable and twist on connectors. They will work on systems only with great signal strength to start off with, they will degrade your performance and can cause other problems.

The proper stuff aint much dearer anyway so its not worth bothering.

danielbb
07-03-2006, 18:50
Thanks, Ive used the same wire now and i still have a problem.

I was wondering, in that white box is a metal electrical compononent that makes the signal safe for the modem, 3.4 to 0.3 db, it has a symbol for a battery on the front. Could disconnecting that reset something there end?

Cheers, ill definately buy that cable to extend it if it ever works.

Buffalo2102
07-03-2006, 19:05

I was wondering, in that white box is a metal electrical compononent that makes the signal safe for the modem, 3.4 to 0.3 db, it has a symbol for a battery on the front. Could disconnecting that reset something there end?

There is nothing at "there end" to reset. Nothing that can be reset and that is unique to you anyway. I wouldn't touch it as you will likely make things worse!

handyman
07-03-2006, 19:21

Cable systems operate in a very specific way, parts of the signal frequency operate in various areas of the cable such as the sheilding. If the cable is damaged in anyway it can balls things up.

Anything in the white box or brown box will be a splitter or a isolator and should not be touched (thats not to say they dont go wrong).

If you are seing a battery symbol then there was some box's being introduced at ntl as i was leaving that amplified the signal.

Have you checked your not on the FM port?

danielbb
07-03-2006, 19:35
Appreciate the help, yeah its an isolator. Its the only thing i think that stopping it working.
I cant phone telewest because it was my friends service and he will be changing it to my name soon. Obviously i dont want to tell or pay telewest to fix it.

handyman
07-03-2006, 19:40
If the isolator is faulty (highly unlikely) then telewest will change it free of charge. Mention to the techy that you where gona move it and can you buy some cable. Most should just give you some. (providing lubed with tea and biscuits)

danielbb
07-03-2006, 19:56
Cheers, so telewest definately cant tell ive messed with it and some how of disabled it? if not something is definately now faulty. Worked fine and im now using same wire.

PS1
07-03-2006, 20:51
Cheers, so telewest definately cant tell ive messed with it and some how of disabled it? if not something is definately now faulty. Worked fine and im now using same wire.

An engineer will more than likely be able to tell(i would).
An especially if they are on hear reading your posts! doh:Yikes:

On a serious note though,your best bet is to say nothing other than its just "stopped working".