PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding balance

david_w2k
21-11-2003, 23:23
hi (dont know whats happened to .com, been away for a few days!)

We have just recieved a letter from NTL demanding £100 for dial up. The problem being that we cancelled it around January time when we transferred over to broadband. What can we do? We have not recieved any bills between January and now, except this one (a letter saying we owe them £100)., my family is having a very difficult time and to be honest my mum does not need this. We have not used dial up for nearly a year now. We also have paid every one of our bills on time.

Help much appreciated

Paul
21-11-2003, 23:35
Probably a daft question but have you spoken to CS about it ?

Undisputedtruth
23-11-2003, 01:04
hi (dont know whats happened to .com, been away for a few days!)

We have just recieved a letter from NTL demanding £100 for dial up. The problem being that we cancelled it around January time when we transferred over to broadband. What can we do? We have not recieved any bills between January and now, except this one (a letter saying we owe them £100)., my family is having a very difficult time and to be honest my mum does not need this. We have not used dial up for nearly a year now. We also have paid every one of our bills on time.

Help much appreciated

I suggest you contact the Citizen's advice bureau for some legal advice. Your next step would be to contact OFTEL for advice. By the time you're ready to speak to NTL, you will be in a good position to negotiate a settlement in your favour.

Or you could try the Kitty route:

Contact NTL CS, accept everything they say as Gospel without knowing better and then pay full whack, and then be grateful to them.

However, I only recommend the Kitty route to people I don't like. :D

Mal
23-11-2003, 01:19

Contact NTL CS, accept everything they say as Gospel without knowing better and then pay full whack, and then be grateful to them.

However, I only recommend the Kitty route to people I don't like. :D
Oooh very catty... :)

Paul
23-11-2003, 01:23

Contact NTL CS, accept everything they say as Gospel without knowing better and then pay full whack, and then be grateful to them.Ok, I know I'm not wearing my glasses at the moment, but the only reply I can see seems to be mine (ok, and Mal, but he posted after you) - where is this advice from Kitty ?

Mal
23-11-2003, 01:31
<Serious mode>
it would be better contacting CS first and seeing what they say and if what they say is not to your liking, get advice from a solicitor (Always go to a solicitor if you can afford it, as my opinion on C.A.B. is not very high). They can then advise you what to do from there on.
<Serious mode off>

Chimaera
23-11-2003, 01:42
Or try Trading Standards at your local council?? :)

Xaccers
23-11-2003, 02:02
<Serious mode>
it would be better contacting CS first and seeing what they say and if what they say is not to your liking, get advice from a solicitor (Always go to a solicitor if you can afford it, as my opinion on C.A.B. is not very high). They can then advise you what to do from there on.
<Serious mode off>

UDT was refering to his own advice, the bit just after he suggested calling the lawyers in to sue NTL

Your best bet is to contact CS and ask them to look into it as its obviously a mistake.
That's where all the other people UDT suggested would tell you where to go

Mal
23-11-2003, 02:10
Your best bet is to contact CS and ask them to look into it as its obviously a mistake.
That's where all the other people UDT suggested would tell you where to go
Which is what me and pem said.

It just annoys me people try to get aggresive i.e getting a C.A.B./ solicitor involved before finding out what the other parties viewpoint is. It's like "Come on!! I'm ready for you f*ckers when there might not be a need to be like that.

Third party involvement should only come into it, if nothing is sorted.

Xaccers
23-11-2003, 02:27
Which is what me and pem said.

It just annoys me people try to get aggresive i.e getting a C.A.B./ solicitor involved before finding out what the other parties viewpoint is. It's like "Come on!! I'm ready for you f*ckers when there might not be a need to be like that.

Third party involvement should only come into it, if nothing is sorted.

Yup and I totally agree with you

NtlRebelReborn
23-11-2003, 07:30
Okay. Let's put this into perspective. No need for the CAB or solicitor route yet.

Put all the relevant info you have into a letter and send to NTL Customer Care, Matrix Court, Llansamlet,Swansea, SA7 9BB.

All letters received are date stamped and dealt with in order.

NTL are able to check if you have used your old dial account by checking the server logs, so if you haven't used it for as long as you say, then NTL will quash the bill. If however it has been used ( not doubting what you are saying ) then the bill will be outstanding.

This problem used to be quite a regular thing when customers used to migrate old dial up accounts onto broadband but for some reason the old dial up account didn't get cancelled.

You will have to be a bit patient as per usual NTL procedures this could take some time to resolve.

I would suggest calling tech support but as that is very hit and miss best not even waste your time. :juggle:

Good luck. :)

Undisputedtruth
23-11-2003, 11:55
Okay. Let's put this into perspective. No need for the CAB or solicitor route yet.

Put all the relevant info you have into a letter and send to NTL Customer Care, Matrix Court, Llansamlet,Swansea, SA7 9BB.

All letters received are date stamped and dealt with in order.

NTL are able to check if you have used your old dial account by checking the server logs, so if you haven't used it for as long as you say, then NTL will quash the bill. If however it has been used ( not doubting what you are saying ) then the bill will be outstanding.

This problem used to be quite a regular thing when customers used to migrate old dial up accounts onto broadband but for some reason the old dial up account didn't get cancelled.

You will have to be a bit patient as per usual NTL procedures this could take some time to resolve.

I would suggest calling tech support but as that is very hit and miss best not even waste your time. :juggle:

Good luck. :)

I'm not suggesting David to take legal action but is it not sensible to find out where you stand legally before dealing with NTL CS? Let's face it, if I mention the sales of goods act to them, would they have a clue about it?

Now if David was not sensible enough to take legal advice and after he dealt with NTL CS, he suddenly found himself blacklisted on the register for not paying this debt. We already know how incompetant NTL are and there are no guarantees NTL will even look at his letter, coupled with the fact NTL takes 40 days to respond to letters, which will only increases David's anxiety. And any promises is likely to be in the form of 'coming soon' which we all know means nothing.

Paul
23-11-2003, 13:52
Nowhere in his original post did he say NTL had been contacted about the bill after receiving it. Whoever you speak to for advice (CAB, solicitor, OFTEL, whoever ....) are all going to give the same advice - first speak to NTL about it.

The post also seems to suggest that the bill is his parents, not his, so they need to talk to NTL, not him.

Undisputedtruth
23-11-2003, 14:39
Nowhere in his original post did he say NTL had been contacted about the bill after receiving it. Whoever you speak to for advice (CAB, solicitor, OFTEL, whoever ....) are all going to give the same advice - first speak to NTL about it.

The post also seems to suggest that the bill is his parents, not his, so they need to talk to NTL, not him.

No, but he did say the dial up service was terminated and the fact he had received a letter 9 months later from NTL only highlights their incompetance. Go directly to NTL CS at your peril.

david_w2k
23-11-2003, 23:08
hi guys,
Thanks for your advice. I will firstly speak to CS and see what they say. Hopefully they will do what NtlRebelReborn says and check the server logs, where they will see it has not been used.

I will let you know how i get on:)

Cheers,

Undisputedtruth
23-11-2003, 23:35
hi guys,
Thanks for your advice. I will firstly speak to CS and see what they say. Hopefully they will do what NtlRebelReborn says and check the server logs, where they will see it has not been used.

I will let you know how i get on:)

Cheers,

Good luck David, but if you get blacklisted by ntl, i can also give advice on this matter as well.

david_w2k
25-11-2003, 17:23
Good luck David, but if you get blacklisted by ntl, i can also give advice on this matter as well.

Cheers everyone:) Thankfully they were very helpful and sorted out the issue:D Thanks again,

Hell Fighter
26-11-2003, 02:14
Cheers everyone:) Thankfully they were very helpful and sorted out the issue:D Thanks again,

Wow...you got this sorted, without having to report this incident to Oftel? :)

Lord Nikon
26-11-2003, 05:51
to tell you the truth here NTL are better than BT....

I am still embroiled in an ongoing argument with BT following a bill for a service I could not use.
While using BT Broadband I had to involve Oftel 3 times when BT refused to accept that I had a valid claim for loss of service (2 days online in a month due to faulty equipment supplied by BT and slow replacement times, this happened 3 times in 4 months)

NTL seem to be a LOT better in this respect, almost as good as breathe telecom.

Breathe took over from Atlantic telecom, whom I was subscribed to as they offered a system similar to NTL Talk24, free phone calls within the UK and discounted international, however their call redirector boxes were prone to failure (I ended up with 12 dead units and no working ones) they eventually sent me a bill for £130 for service I was unable to use due to them not replacing the faulty units. I made 1 call to them, was answered on the 2nd ring, they phoned me back IMMEDIATELY and the issue was resolved within 3 working days and I received a revised invoice saying I owed them £0.00 just in case their system tried to bill me later. This was accompanied by a letter from their MANAGING DIRECTOR apologising for the error, and assuring me it would not only not happen again, but I would receive a written explanation of how it happened.

2 days later I received the written explanation which basically was due to a computer crash, the account closure was lost in a server crash.

NTL could learn from them, but not as much as BT could.

Paul
26-11-2003, 12:13
Cheers everyone:) Thankfully they were very helpful and sorted out the issue:D Thanks again,Nice to see NTL got it sorted despite some peoples negative attitude of them. :)