PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for a "Customer" Panel

Sociable
21-11-2003, 20:24
OK as suggested I repeat here the stage we had reached over at .com before being so rudely interupted.

Special thanks to Pem btw as it was him that was able to dig out this copy.

OK getting back on topic.

What we have so far is the concept of creating a panel which would comprise representation from NTL (in the form of an appropriate manager), representation from the Admin Team (to ensure any issues concerning the forum are included in a workable way) and finally representation from the membership of the forum in the form of a nominated/elected Customer Rep(s).

I would envisage this tripartite meeting being held about once per quarter, but possibly more frequently should this prove to be an even better success than I think it will be.

Selection of the Customer representation would be based on the specific topics due for discussion as it makes sense to have people with both an interest in the issues and also an ability to articulate the collective consensus on those issues.

Therefore this would not be a permanent role but would pass to whichever member(s) seemed most appropriate at the time given the issues to be discussed.

I would add an extra criteria for this customer/user rep is that they must be willing and able to articulate where NTL are getting things right just as well as when they are not.

What we are looking for is supporting good practice and eliminating the bad just as much as discussing problem/issues with the products and services themselves.

The purpose of the meetings would therefore be to look for constructive ideas to resolve existing problems/issues not just with NTL's products and services but also the relationship it has with customers by allowing a positive dialogue to take place providing feedback both ways.

To ensure that the issues discussed and views expressed are truly representative of the wider customer base I would also propose that we make us of a monthly newsletter sent to the forum membership via the existing notification system. This could invite contributions and provide a channel for feedback to the wider forum membership as well.

This last proposal, if nothing else, would generate more active interest in the forum as members see we are actively involved in working in partnership with NTL to address outstanding issues. The newsletter will also provide a vehicle for promoting the day to day successes of the forum and also highlight the times NTL get things right.

So come on everyone what do think of the general idea of trying to build on the undoubted existing strengths of the forum and helping it thrive and prosper in the future?

This is a straight repeat of the post from .com which was followed by a series of posts clarifying a few details but all generally not just accepting the basic concept but actually welcoming it.

I appreciate it may need refinement now to fit the new location but the key principles will still be valid.

I do know given today's fiasco the odds on acceptance to the idea by NTL is problematic but maybe just maybe they could find this a suitable way of saying sorry for that.

Anyway over to you guys n gals what do you think?

etccarmageddon
21-11-2003, 20:40
I do know given today's fiasco the odds on acceptance to the idea by NTL is problematic but maybe just maybe they could find this a suitable way of saying sorry for that.

Anyway over to you guys n gals what do you think?

well, just as this idea just came to fuition and everyone started to get along and talk constructively about it, the forum was shut down.

Therefore I conclude that closing down the forum was a tactic to burn down this concept/idea and not just the idea but the discussion and it was also a cowards tactic to promote hostility towards discussions like this when the site re-opens.

clearly Ashley feared this idea as there's no easy way to reject it and Ashley was afraid of facing up to a membership who voted for it and then asked it to be implemented.

th'engineer
21-11-2003, 20:47
well, just as this idea just came to fuition and everyone started to get along and talk constructively about it, the forum was shut down.

Therefore I conclude that closing down the forum was a tactic to burn down this concept/idea and not just the idea but the discussion and it was also a cowards tactic to promote hostility towards discussions like this when the site re-opens.

clearly Ashley feared this idea as there's no easy way to reject it and Ashley was afraid of facing up to a membership who voted for it and then asked it to be implemented.
Think you might not be that far off the truth on that one

etccarmageddon
21-11-2003, 20:52
sadly the thread isnt here for us to reference but one point I made this morning was that in no way could anyones idea/concept be imposed.

it would have to be first voted on with a simple yes/no and if a yes vote is successful then nominations and a poll on who would be the membership representative.

Fawkes
21-11-2003, 20:56

How can you know that?

etccarmageddon
21-11-2003, 21:00
How can you know that?

the reasons given for the shut down didnt add up.

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showpost.php?p=83708&postcount=141

Sociable
21-11-2003, 21:02
How can you know that?

Actually I agree and think the reverse may well have been true in this specific case as it provided a "way out" of a lot of the earlier mistakes by NTL. More likely to be incredibly bad timing I think.

My experience of ashG was that he was at least always prepared to listen to an idea as long as it was both reasonable and reasonably put.

I suspect the problem was what happened to it after it after he passed it "upstairs".

trebor
21-11-2003, 21:21
Why would NTL want to let their customers have any say in what happens within the company?
why would NTL want to give the customers anything, they(NTL) appear to be very happy with things the way they are. and lastly if they wanted to improve anything they could very easily, there is no secret about what is wrong with NTL the whole world knows. the simple fact is NTL have no desire to change anything, their share holders are happy that's all that matters to them.

edit: it is a good idea but it would only work if NTL wanted it

homealone
21-11-2003, 21:46
sadly the thread isnt here for us to reference but one point I made this morning was that in no way could anyones idea/concept be imposed.

it would have to be first voted on with a simple yes/no and if a yes vote is successful then nominations and a poll on who would be the membership representative.

yes I agree - that would be a good way to poll both interest in the idea, initially - and specifics as to 'whom', latterly.

- I can't help thinking that some of the aims of sociable's idea may be covered by the ntli.info project on here, specifically in terms of 'appropriate' representatives for particular areas? - but please don't take that as a negative comment, because I have to say, I was very impressed by the spirit expressed in the post(s).

The concept of an 'user representative' is a good one, imo - but I think 'there should be only one' - who should post the vote, btw & is "does the forum want a formal members representative y/n?" adequate - any other suggestions?

Paul
21-11-2003, 21:52
Why would NTL want to let their customers have any say in what happens within the company?
why would NTL want to give the customers anything, they(NTL) appear to be very happy with things the way they are. and lastly if they wanted to improve anything they could very easily, there is no secret about what is wrong with NTL the whole world knows. the simple fact is NTL have no desire to change anything, their share holders are happy that's all that matters to them.
Sadly I can see what you mean.

If I was running NTL I can't really see why I would keep nthw.com nor why I would want a group of people from here telling me how to run my show.

What is the benefit to me and my shareholders ?

Florence
21-11-2003, 22:01

If I was running NTL I can't really see why I would keep nthw.com nor why I would want a group of people from here telling me how to run my show.

What would benefit the shareholders more is happy customers that stay and take out more services as they are available. Instead they have un happy customers that will move on to oher services as tehy become available.

Sociable
21-11-2003, 22:02

In my past life, before retiring from Social work due to illhealth, I was in Sales and Marketing at a managerial level both in UK based companies and large International organisations.

Two seconds comparing the cost of gaining this kind of positive constructive feedback by any other means would show this not just extremely cost effective but worth its weight in gold in PR terms.

trebor
21-11-2003, 22:08
What would benefit the shareholders more is happy customers that stay and take out more services as they are available. Instead they have un happy customers that will move on to oher services as tehy become available.

looking at NTL's share price it would appear the share holders are happy with things the way they are as well.
I don't think anybody would argue with the point of happy customers make a better more sustainable business, but alas this is something that does not appear to be in NTL's business plan. Maybe a long term business plan is not what ntl want.

Sociable
21-11-2003, 22:18
The concept of an 'user representative' is a good one, imo - but I think 'there should be only one' - who should post the vote, btw & is "does the forum want a formal members representative y/n?" adequate - any other suggestions?

The basic idea was first get the concept of a "user/customer panel" accepted.

Then canvass for topics for discussion.

Then when an "Agenda" was set choose who best could "voice" those issues at any "meeting" with NTL.

Each step requires the cooperation and input from the membership and each step would require ratification by simple majority vote to confirm any percieved consensus was agreed to by the majority.

This might at times mean that more than one rep was appropriate if two completly diverse issues needed raising and no one person was able to adequately argue the points on both.

My suggested first item on any initial agenda would be for instance, "How can we help you to help us and vice versa?" but looking at the agenda further than that until the basic principle of the "panel" is accepted will only muddy the issue.

The same goes for nominating reps untill the agenda is agreed.

Its a step by step approach building on broad support at each step of the way.

Ambitious I know but fully achievable if we all work together in a spirit of constructive cooperation.

Alanmelon
21-11-2003, 22:32
Is it just me, or does all this seem to be getting a little out out hand? Yes, I agree with the sentiment, and the sense it would make to provide constructive feedback for the improvement of ntl's services, but;

- If ntl wanted to obtain such feedback, or wanted the involvement of it's customers it would have done so. I doubt that they will appreciate others trying to tell them how to run the show.

- As useful as the(se) forums are to those who need help, at the end of the day, they are just a couple of forums. They are not the gateway to a utopia, nor are they that important at the end of the day. I think people are getting a little too self important.

- Whilst the comments left on these boards may be from a representative sample of the population, the number of users, in comparison to ntl's subscriber base is a tiny proportion. It's also probably fair to say that the users of these forums (on the whole) probably do not represent the average ntl customer, but one which has had some kind of problem at some point, and therefore opinion is likely to be a little skewed.

Having said that, I'm just giving my opinion on the matter, I'm not one for telling others what to do, and if you all want to make the effort, then that's up to you.

Sociable
21-11-2003, 22:58
- If ntl wanted to obtain such feedback, or wanted the involvement of it's customers it would have done so. I doubt that they will appreciate others trying to tell them how to run the show.

I think this may be doing NTL an injustice.

Had they had no interest at all in feedback and simply wanted to silence .com they could have done so far more cheaply and with far less problems and more importantly far earlier.

They actually have a very large investment in .com at many levels not least the cost of running the forum since buying it and funding its moderation since then.

The fact they stuck with it through many difficult and contentious times indicates to me at least a willingness to try and make it work.

Yes they often made mistakes and shooting themselves in the foot became a regular spectator sport at times but the basic idea of an NTL owned but user run forum was working well the majority of the time especially for those with specific problems the direct link to NTL could help resolve.

One final point just for clarification. This is not about me or any other individual seeking any part to play in this process other than as an ordinary member of the forum. In fact my disability may well preclude me from ever accepting any formal role in this or any other initiative. I just happen to think this is an idea that has merit and felt oblidged to put it forward for consideration.

Frank
22-11-2003, 00:10
I suggest if this does get off the ground that it be stressed to ntl that one of the terms is that this site is NOT for sale to them, no they can't buy it if they agree to participate (as that didn't work last time), and they particpate on our terms as we are the customers.

Sociable
22-11-2003, 00:17
I think they already know that by now Keyser but yes in fact the "independance" of any customer panel is inherant in the basic concept. ie it can't just be an "In House" focus group.

Also follows a basic principle they forgot when purchasing .com in the first place. They may have brought the domain name but they could never buy the membership as we were never for sale either.

Frank
22-11-2003, 00:20
You're right Sociable, but in my experience ntl will be very reluctant to get involved with something they don't control themselves. ntl PR would never allow it :rolleyes:

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.

Sociable
22-11-2003, 12:15
You're right Sociable, but in my experience ntl will be very reluctant to get involved with something they don't control themselves. ntl PR would never allow it :rolleyes:

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.

As I always say, the impossible we do today miracles take a little longer.

Patient but persistent pressure will wear them down eventually as even they know they need to find a way to change how people percieve them. If anything its the fact they can't control the PR aspects without some kind of initiative that involves direct input from the customers that may make this kind of idea appealing.

Undisputedtruth
22-11-2003, 17:08
I think the idea of having a customer panel is an excellent one. When I'm suspended on nthw.com for no particular good reason, the mods are reluctant to reason with me. They expect a PM with very little explanation, followed up by a quote from ToS to be sufficient for me. Due to their failure in their communications, I could see no reason why I should modify my behaviour.

Sociable
22-11-2003, 17:25
I think the idea of having a customer panel is an excellent one.

Many thanks for that but with regards to the rest of the post can I repeat what I have said in the other thread as it applies equally to this one:

Can I make an appeal to all the ex .com assylum seekers?

We have all been welcomed warmly even getting a new smiley to mark the event it seems. :ghugs:

Can we all try our best not to bring the problems from .com here and concentrate on the positives. This is the best thank you we can give to .co.uk for their welcome.

Yes there are some issues for .com moderation should it re-open but clean or dirty that particular piece of laundry needs to be left in the .com linen basket till the future of .com is sorted. IMHO

We achieved so much at .com to resolve the long standing factional infighting in those last few days let's not throw it all away by pi$$ing in the soup here.

This is not to stiffle debate on the issue but simply a request everyone holds off, for the relatively short time hopefully, between now and .com's future being resolved one way or another.
:ghugs:

Many Thanks

snuffs99
24-11-2003, 17:19
Can i second that sociable.

For all those who just can't move on, get help if you must but do as the man says and LET IT GO.

paulyoung666
24-11-2003, 17:35
I think the idea of having a customer panel is an excellent one. When I'm suspended on nthw.com for no particular good reason, the mods are reluctant to reason with me. They expect a PM with very little explanation, followed up by a quote from ToS to be sufficient for me. Due to their failure in their communications, I could see no reason why I should modify my behaviour.

just a small point but this is .co.uk as you well know , maybe it is time to leave it until or if .com comes back on , then you can bitch at them as much as you want , in the meantime can you leave it out on here , t/y :)

handyman
24-11-2003, 18:25

I think you have the wrong end of the stick, what sociable is suggesting is not a panel between the users of this site and the mods (as in a way to solve disputes like the ones you seem to get into). It would be a panel between the ntl customers and ntl itself. a way of putting our views across to ntl en mass in a organised way. It has also been suggested that this customer panel is used to obtain data on the performance of ntl's network across the country. I feel that the biggest threat to ntl will be the data that this panel could acrue. Normal data that ntl collects is private and not available, the data collected by the panel would be available on-line so that all could see, including ntl's competitors.

Their competitors would be able to use this information to market rival services to customers of ntl more effectivly.

What it does need is the full support of both hell sites to be able to achieve this, 20 tracerts and pings is not enough whats required if possible is 500-1000 members regularly adding this data and then it will make a difference.

It could log email troubles, outages, pings, tracerts and network speed across all of ntls network.

Anyway thats my 2p
mark

Sociable
24-11-2003, 22:38
I think you have the wrong end of the stick, what sociable is suggesting is not a panel between the users of this site and the mods (as in a way to solve disputes like the ones you seem to get into). It would be a panel between the ntl customers and ntl itself. a way of putting our views across to ntl en mass in a organised way.

Bang on :)

It has also been suggested that this customer panel is used to obtain data on the performance of ntl's network across the country. I feel that the biggest threat to ntl will be the data that this panel could acrue. Normal data that ntl collects is private and not available, the data collected by the panel would be available on-line so that all could see, including ntl's competitors.

Their competitors would be able to use this information to market rival services to customers of ntl more effectivly.

Personally I dont think that particular suggestion was either practical or sensible and not just for the reasons you state.

What might be more usefull is tracking pattens of problems as an early warning system of more serious failures down the line perhaps. This might allow NTL to anticipate needs or diagnose faults by sometimes putting seemingly unrelated things together. To use NTL's own original view of NTHW being "A thermometer of how things are going" not just generally but for specifics too.

An example would be the number of times someone will say "It only happens when I do xyz" or something along those lines. It's often being able to link these often seemingly disconected symptoms to the problem that helps identify the specific fix that is needed. If nothing else many here have that knack of using this kind of lateral thinking that is all too rare in some large organisations.

What it does need is the full support of both hell sites to be able to achieve this, 20 tracerts and pings is not enough whats required if possible is 500-1000 members regularly adding this data and then it will make a difference.

It could log email troubles, outages, pings, tracerts and network speed across all of ntls network.

Anyway thats my 2p
mark

I agree getting active participation from ALL related forums would be great. Maybe each forum nominating one rep each to form the "Panel"? Now that's a brave suggestion. LOL I must remeber to curb my belief in the possibility that people can actually get along even us and NTL. :)

As already stated above I think the detailed collection of stats itself is unworkable and potentially open to abuse so I doubt it would go down too well. But a more general tracking of groups of say slow connections or game pings in a specific area might perhaps help identify potential "Hot spots" earlier than NTL might be able to themselves.

Anyways thanks again for the support and perhaps my suggestion about making the panel represent most if not all forums would even get round some of the more general doubts some have about which specific forum the idea comes from.

carlingman
24-11-2003, 23:01
Whilst I admire the sentiments and the idea of this I really think you are fighting a losing battle here although I would love to be proved wrong.

NTL got involved with the previous site and even went so far as buying it and still had their fingers burned and at the end even had the wool pulled over their eyes by the Mods/Admin running the place.

I would suggest they would be reluctant to get involved in any such venture again.

As for them ignoring their customers and the demand, in most cases they have and always will unless it be from a site where they have a controlling interest and we have been assured this site is not for sale so I canââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see this happening.

Like to see the idea take off but unless it is on their terms I really donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see how this will happen.

:)

Russ
24-11-2003, 23:07
NTL have proven on many occasions that it matters not one iota what their customers think - NTL will make decisions based on what their directors and their focus groups think. Irregardless of internet forums where several hundred (possibly over a thousand) members will give their views on a particular subject.

I'd give such a Customer panel my backing but I have this niggling feeling in the back of my mind it's the old 'chocolate teapot' situation :(

rodd
25-11-2003, 15:24
All ntl customers would support the idea-and-dream of being able to give effective input to ntl for improvement.

The reality is though, that there really needs to be a somersault in the ntl mind-set for that to come about though. Frank himself, privy to meetings within ntl, and trying to get change, found that he was up against a brick wall. Quote by Frank - I told them till I was blue in the face end quote.

So even if, in the end you do manage to get meetings with ntl, would ntl listen with any intention of taking notice of the suggestions and of making any changes. I don't think so, not with ntl's mind already set not to make changes. I believe that 'Anticap' also found this was the case when he had meetings with ntl.

To date, and recently with the .com closure, ntl have shown no inclination to take any notice of any customers' inputs, or of anyone who has the customers' interests at heart, even when it has been pointed out to ntl, that ntl themselves will benefit from the suggestions put forward. NTL are set on going the way that they want to, and that's it, the ntl mind-set.

So what would make ntl start to take notice. Well, pre buyout of .com by ntl, it was the effective and persistent public critical comments that made ntl take notice. It has been found that asking ntl reasonably to listen and to make changes, does not work, they are not that kind of reasonably company. It is best to ask from a position of some strength, in some way.

The strength of bad publicity is one way that it could be done to give us a stronger hand. Notice how bad companies on 'Watchdog' pay-up in the end, it's cheaper for them to do that, than to have the cost of the bad publicity.

That's why I think that building a large widespread continuous survey of ntl's services showing all their defects, will give us the strength of the bad publicity that we can bring to bear on ntl. Also, incidentally, the survey will be of interest to customers and potential customers.

The survey should be publicised as much as possible, and I feel sure that there will also be media interest in what we are doing, and also an interest in the survey results. There are, no doubt, other similar ways to get ntl's attention, and then if a meeting is obtained, it will be a more effective meeting.

It is the way to get more clout and have more customer power if there is going to be the slightest chance of getting ntl's attention.

Frank
25-11-2003, 15:27
I agree 100% with all of that. Good post.

I would like to give ntl the benefit of the doubt in a way though, even after all that has happened. I have to stress the point that it really does depend who any customer panel would be dealing with - not everyone at ntl is set in that stupid mindset. That is an important point to note. However! Finding one of these people, and ntl allowing them to interact with us with the authority to action changes is a completely different ball game...

obvious
25-11-2003, 15:51
Well there is some precedent for ntl talking to a user group of kinds and that was with AntiCap. They've shown they can do it and I'd very much like to see them do it again. The whole idea has my full support.

rodd
25-11-2003, 18:35
I agree 100% with all of that. Good post.

I would like to give ntl the benefit of the doubt in a way though, even after all that has happened. I have to stress the point that it really does depend who any customer panel would be dealing with - not everyone at ntl is set in that stupid mindset. That is an important point to note. However! Finding one of these people, and ntl allowing them to interact with us with the authority to action changes is a completely different ball game...
Thank you.

I believe there was a manager (forgot his name) of some region, who when a complaint was brought to his attention via .com, he said that he would see to it that the particular type of complaint would not happen again, and also offered to be a helpful contact of .com.

So I agree that not everyone at ntl is in the fixed mindset, there are also a few good ones, with reason.

dialanothernumb
26-11-2003, 12:04
Having looked thru these posts, I believe there is absolutely nothing to be lost by giving this a go, especially if there are people willing to give it a shot from this side. Rodd's post swung it for me.

At the very worst, this would make ntl think again, before adding to the sorry list of PR disasters. At best, we can achieve a dialogue, even if only for a few months, which has to be worth it

th'engineer
30-11-2003, 08:37
At the very worst, this would make ntl think again, before adding to the sorry list of PR disasters.
At last we agree :luv:

ian@huth
30-11-2003, 12:06
Well I took a couple of weeks away from these forums and what happened? Can't remember where I put the .com forum or has someone stolen it, lol? Got some reading to do to catch up with recent events and get to grips with the current situation.

I have not had much time to take in what's been going on, but one suggestion made in here for a newsletter to be sent to members on a regular basis sounds an excellent idea. These forums have a hard core of users who are nearly always here with others drifting in and out but not regular users. A monthly newsletter sent by e-mail to all registered forum members sounds a great idea to keep peoples interest in the site going and to pass important information onto customers. Maybe a thread should be started to discuss ideas for inclusion in such a newletter.

dialanothernumb
01-12-2003, 22:40
At last we agree :luv:

Huh? Don't remember having any specific conversation, let alone agreement/disagreement with you?

Florence
01-12-2003, 23:08
This could be a very good way to help both company and customers. In the end that is all the the customers want. The service to work properly with quality help there when needed. The company benfirts from happy customers who are willing to recomend the company to others...

homealone
01-12-2003, 23:27
This could be a very good way to help both company and customers. In the end that is all the the customers want. The service to work properly with quality help there when needed. The company benfirts from happy customers who are willing to recomend the company to others...

yes, but - how do we organise all that feedback - is anyone clever enough to design a form we can fill in - e.g. slow browsing, no email, in so & so area - and provide the organised info graphically - if so I'm all for it.:)

Florence
02-12-2003, 00:43
yes, but - how do we organise all that feedback - is anyone clever enough to design a form we can fill in - e.g. slow browsing, no email, in so & so area - and provide the organised info graphically - if so I'm all for it.:)
I can have a try over this week.while I am off sick.

Any suggestions would be gratefully worked on...

Chrysalis
12-12-2003, 14:24
whilst I think this is an excellent idea, like other have said ntl would never agree to this it would mean them ending up having to fix the problems with their service and that costs money they don't want to spend.

basa
12-12-2003, 14:45
OK someone mentioned a survey !

I'll start with:-

BB Internet:
email !
DNS issues (area specific ??)

Digi TV:
EPG !

General:
Billing (area specific ??)

Chrysalis
12-12-2003, 15:07
BB Service

major DNS problems
email problems

TV

2 tier service depending on where you live potluck
unluckly ppl stuck with analogue
digital service below rival companies standards

General

promotional offers seem to be regional making it potluck depending on where you live.
lack of communication with customers.
unable to change package on a sunday.

rodd
21-12-2003, 17:29
Just some thoughts on a possibly way forward.

A simple start would be in having a log of certain types of bad service. Perhaps starting with a log of each of two easily identified bad services, appointments not being kept by ntl, and of ntl not ringing back, and perhaps also a log of excessive phone holds of 1/2 hour plus.

There would be no lengthy off-putting survey forms to fill in. It is simple, and would take no effort to report a case or to run, and simple enough that even those members, who at present make few posts, would likely join in and make a valuable input. Only the minimum of details is really needed, perhaps as little as just a tick, date and time.

We can extend logs to other aspects of service as we figure out how best to do each part, but keeping it very simple and effortless. Some parts of service may be more difficult to do, due to there being the occasional temporary interruption in service (we are aware of the problem, etc.). I think we should be looking for excessive interruptions or too many of them, too often, or way below par performance too often (however we are going to measure that).

In the end we would end up with a broad picture of the service over a period, and would be able to say that there were ### cases reported last month/week. It would be a bit more ammunition for us.

Other hell sites might even take up the 'bad logs' idea, adding weight to our figures. All sites, in effect, would then be acting in unison, which is no bad thing and gives a stronger widespread message, a message that is more difficult for ntl to ignore. All the figures could even be totalled and quoted. They might even be quoted elsewhere, in the media perhaps.

Someone might ask, why not also have the good service results. Well, I don't think that it would be very useful to know that ntl did keep the appointment, or actually did ring back. That is what they are supposed to do. It's rather like the UK's crime figures, only the crimes that are reported, get quoted, not the number of law-abiding people doing, as they should.

Sociable
21-12-2003, 18:07
Great post Rodd.

I was just thinking about this thread but you beat me to it. LOL

I suspect most are in the holiday mood now so I think we are more likely to get more activity in the thread once the dust has settled but I will be doing some thinking about how to put the good ideas so far into shape so we can sort out how to approach NTL with a request for a head to head meeting to see if a "Customer Panel" is workable early in the new year.

rodd
22-12-2003, 15:53
Thanks Sociable :)

Back in festive mode now.

threadbare
22-12-2003, 16:28
do other companies have customer panels?

Sociable
22-12-2003, 16:32
do other companies have customer panels?

Many do and they don't begrudge the investment because of the the benefits such close interactive links with the customers can bring.

threadbare
22-12-2003, 16:42
Many do and they don't begrudge the investment because of the the benefits such close interactive links with the customers can bring.nuff said then really - if ntl wants to interact with their customers and please them then obviously this is the way forward

obviously they aren't going to be able to please everyone - but it would it would a good start

icanadvise
02-01-2004, 17:14
nuff said then really - if ntl wants to interact with their customers and please them then obviously this is the way forward

obviously they aren't going to be able to please everyone - but it would it would a good start
I've seen announcements before Christmas on a couple of other forums from NTL product development staff that they are setting up trials and face to face user forums.

One site was ntlhell the other was a help site.

Russ
02-01-2004, 17:17
I've seen announcements before Christmas on a couple of other forums from NTL product development staff that they are setting up trials and face to face user forums.

One site was ntlhell the other was a help site.

Interesting how the offer was not extended to *this* help site :D

KingPhoenix
02-01-2004, 17:24
Interesting how the offer was not extended to *this* help site :D

I dont think ive seen Peter post on this site at all actually...... :eek: :confused:

Bigtone
02-01-2004, 17:27
Whose Peter? :shrug:

Paul
02-01-2004, 20:24
Peter M - I think he is the head of Product Development and posts on the ntlhell.co.uk site. I saw this on that site and registered my interest.

Bigtone
02-01-2004, 21:09
Hmmm ntl now decide to get involved with user
forums except this one, politics.......its the reason why ntl is in a sour
state by putting politics first before its customers,development
my behind,but we already know what happens when ntl gets involved
with forums don't we??? pah.

Sociable
02-01-2004, 21:19

True LOL

erol
02-01-2004, 22:10

that's one perspective. there are others.

one alternative perspective is NTL tried to work with the people running this site, found it impossible to do so over a considerable period of time and thus are now trying to work with different connected customers, having failed to get a satisfactory working relationship established with those running this site.

Personally I think that is better than not trying to work with any connected customers at all, which given the history of the first attempt with .com and those that ran it, would have been imo a very natural, if regretable, reaction on their part.

Mick
02-01-2004, 22:33

one alternative perspective is NTL tried to work with the people running this site, found it impossible to do so .

I have one thing to say to that erolz:- That alternative perspective is a load of crap. :)

Sociable
02-01-2004, 22:37

Sorry Erol that is B/S what about the other 9,000 other members of .com?

If NTL want to contact and work with users why not a single word to the membership of .com since closure?

Why not just change the admins rather than close the site completely?

Maybe as a member of NTLHELL you could ask Peter the answer to those questions rather than making it so personal about a few individuals here.

Russ
02-01-2004, 22:41

one alternative perspective is NTL tried to work with the people running this site, found it impossible to do so over a considerable period of time and thus are now trying to work with different connected customers, having failed to get a satisfactory working relationship established with those running this site.

Personally I think that is better than not trying to work with any connected customers at all, which given the history of the first attempt with .com and those that ran it, would have been imo a very natural, if regretable, reaction on their part.

One thing I learned from being an NTL associate and an admin on .com is that no matter what happens, NTL will do what NTL wants to do, irregardless of what evidence or ideas are placed before them. Oh yeah, they'll invite you to meetings, they'll feign interest in what you have to say but if for one moment you believe that your (this is not aimed at anyone in particular) ideas or proposals will make one iota of difference to NTL then you are very much mistaken. NTL will only listen to other ideas when it suits them, and that simply isn't very often.

erol
02-01-2004, 23:01
Sorry Erol that is B/S what about the other 9,000 other members of .com?

NTL did not form a relationship with the users directly, they chose to work through the .com team. It was the .com team that went to (private) meetings with NTL, not users. No portion of these meeting was public to users, no minutes published etc.

If NTL want to contact and work with users why not a single word to the membership of .com since closure?

I can not and do not speak for NTL. All I am saying is it is a bit unfair to critise NTL for trying to work with users, because they have chosen (with valid reasons imo - as a user) to not do so via people they have already failed with in the past.

Why not just change the admins rather than close the site completely?

A suggestion I myself made, as was 'revealed' by some here. It is not an option they chose to look at, though I do not know if .com has any future or not. I can understand why they may have felt that such a change of admins would not be effective, especially given what has occured since I made the suggestion to them

Maybe as a member of NTLHELL you could ask Peter the answer to those questions rather than making it so personal about a few individuals here.

If you have questions for Peter I suggest you address them to Peter. There is no need (or desire on my part) for me to be a middle man. I have not made it personal at all. I have pointed out that NTL tried for over a year to work with the admins here, as users representatives and that they have decided that they are not able to work in this way with these people. That is not personal. It is merely my perspective on what has happend in the past.

It seemed that NTL was being critisied for still trying to find ways of working with users, all be it not via this site or those that run it. I think they should be given credit for such efforts not critisied for them. To critisise them because they chose not to do so via this site, and especially given the history, seems to me to be about 'politics' and not about users.

I do not care who where or how they work with users just as long as they keep trying to realise the potential value of doing so in an online world. Just as I do not care who's idea a 'consumer council' with NTL is, just that efforts are made to realise it and get value for both parties from it.

Russ
02-01-2004, 23:04
But Erol - they don't try to work with users! NTL have met with more than just the .com people, they've had regular face-to-face meetings with customers which acheive little or nothing! They get well-meaning people like Peter to arrange and chair the meets but what becomes of them? Something between little and nothing, I can tell you.

erol
02-01-2004, 23:14
One thing I learned from being an NTL associate and an admin on .com is that no matter what happens, NTL will do what NTL wants to do, irregardless of what evidence or ideas are placed before them. Oh yeah, they'll invite you to meetings, they'll feign interest in what you have to say but if for one moment you believe that your (this is not aimed at anyone in particular) ideas or proposals will make one iota of difference to NTL then you are very much mistaken. NTL will only listen to other ideas when it suits them, and that simply isn't very often.

With respect Russ that just sounds like 'if a first you do not sucseed - give up'.

Maybe NTL will not listen. Maybe they will BS you. Does that mean that users should not keep on trying to get them to address their issues jointly and directly?

Sure NTL will do what NTL wants - do users do any different? The whole objective is to try and find win - win senarios and convince the right people of the case. If you get fobbed off - keep trying. If they BS, you respond not in kind but with ever more reasoned and refined arguments. Keep on trying. That way you have a chance, however small, of effecting change. Decide that there is no point - attack NTL at any opportunity - slate any attempt NTL makes to interact with it's users unless it's on your terms - and you have no chance imo of effecting change.

erol
02-01-2004, 23:17
But Erol - they don't try to work with users! NTL have met with more than just the .com people, they've had regular face-to-face meetings with customers which acheive little or nothing! They get well-meaning people like Peter to arrange and chair the meets but what becomes of them? Something between little and nothing, I can tell you.

Well to me little is better than nothing.

So what is your suggestion? Give up on or slate any attempt by NTL to interact with it's connected customers? Try and 'force' them to do what you want?

Mick
02-01-2004, 23:23
NTL did not form a relationship with the users directly, they chose to work through the .com team. It was the .com team that went to (private) meetings with NTL, not users. No portion of these meeting was public to users, no minutes published etc.

More crap, we actually suggested bringing users into meetings (conference calls) ntl rejected the suggestions, the actual meetings in person we were not allowed into except Frank and look how they treated him. Their own EMPLOYEE!!!

I can not and do not speak for NTL. All I am saying is it is a bit unfair to critise NTL for trying to work with users, because they have chosen (with valid reasons imo - as a user) to not do so via people they have already failed with in the past.

You do not know jack about 'working' with ntl, I did not see ntl running and chasing you taking up your offer to be a 'spokes person' for the customer, no infact you helped to give ntl the perfect excuse they were looking for when they closed that site, let me reiterate that for you. 'Ten users or so of the site seemed to dominate the discussion, it cannot continue like this and as such the site is closing for two weeks while the service is reviewed though it isn't likely that it will return'

If you have questions for Peter I suggest you address them to Peter. There is no need (or desire on my part) for me to be a middle man. I have not made it personal at all. I have pointed out that NTL tried for over a year to work with the admins here, as users representatives and that they have decided that they are not able to work in this way with these people. That is not personal. It is merely my perspective on what has happend in the past.

Again you have no idea what it was like trying to work with ntl and that site - IMO they bought that site with every intention of closing it and silencing the criticism once and for all. They were just buying their time.

Sociable
02-01-2004, 23:27
Well to me little is better than nothing.

So what is your suggestion? Give up on or slate any attempt by NTL to interact with it's connected customers? Try and 'force' them to do what you want?

Maybe the "don't give up too easiliy" is what NTL need to pick up on rather than leaving myself and 9000 others in the lurch they way they have.

I for one am not slating their efforts just raising some questions about how they appear to have chosen how to do it this time. You seem to be the one making out they are the ones being childish and petulant about this forum. As this whole thread suggests some of us are actually trying to find a constructive way forward.

Paul
02-01-2004, 23:36
I really think too many people on this site are trying to read far too much into events - I don't suppose anybody considered the more obvious reason that Peter simply posted it on the two sites he is a member of ?

Sociable
02-01-2004, 23:36

Can't help but be struck by the irony of this response Erol.

First time you are asked to put forward an idea from a user to NTL and you decline to help at all. Thanks bro very constructive. (NOT)

erol
02-01-2004, 23:49
Can't help but be struck by the irony of this response Erol.

First time you are asked to put forward an idea from a user to NTL and you decline to help at all. Thanks bro very constructive. (NOT)

I have declined to act as a 'go between' between you as a user and NTL because there is no need and I simply do not think that is a valid role for me.
I have provided you with the means to put your ideas and questions forward yourself. Is that not constructive bro ?

Sociable
02-01-2004, 23:55
I have declined to act as a 'go between' between you as a user and NTL because there is no need and I simply do not think that is a valid role for me.
I have provided you with the means to put your ideas and questions forward yourself. Is that not constructive bro ?

Yes and many thanks for that Erol I withdraw the (Not) unreservedly.

erol
03-01-2004, 00:03
More crap, we actually suggested bringing users into meetings (conference calls) ntl rejected the suggestions, the actual meetings in person we were not allowed into except Frank and look how they treated him. Their own EMPLOYEE!!!

If NTL have treated Frank unfairly then there are avenues for Frank to take to have that addressed, which I believe he is doing. I do not know what went on between Frank and NTL but my best guess is that Frank was no 'angel' in terms of how he behaved as an NTL employee. How NTL treats it's employees is not relevant to me as far as trying to get effective interaction between NTL and users going.

You do not know jack about 'working' with ntl, I did not see ntl running and chasing you taking up your offer to be a 'spokes person' for the customer, no infact you helped to give ntl the perfect excuse they were looking for when they closed that site, let me reiterate that for you. 'Ten users or so of the site seemed to dominate the discussion, it cannot continue like this and as such the site is closing for two weeks while the service is reviewed though it isn't likely that it will return'

Actually I do have some experience of 'working' with NTL as a 'consumer representative'. Before the .com site even existed I had been invited to NTL in such a role along with a colleague and I continue to 'interact' with NTL (as I do with all the other UK internet players in industry and government).

I wish you would make up your minds. First Neil accuses me of being the reason .com was closed. The an 'offical' statement from the team here says it was not caused by any indivdual - solely by NTL themselves. Now you once again appear to try and lay some blame at my door. It seems to me the only thing you are consistent about is that those that had direct contact with NTL on behalf of users have no blame whatso ever in the closure of .com. Nothing they did or said or ways they behaved could possibly have had any impacy on NTL's decision to close it, apparently.

Again you have no idea what it was like trying to work with ntl and that site - IMO they bought that site with every intention of closing it and silencing the criticism once and for all. They were just buying their time.

Well if all they needed was an 'excuse' there were ample opportunites before I made three posts in three seperate threads in the space of 20 minutes (all constructive and ways that users could work togeather regardless of any 'support' from NTL or not). Like when one of the admins of the .com site hacked NTLH. Or when one of the mods persistently abused his power as a mod at the expense of NTL customers. Or any other number of much better reasons than the one you suggest.

Whatever the objective in buying the site (and many cautioned Frank and the mods at the time about NTLs motives and were told 'we know what we are doing - trust us - wait and see') the fact remains there are still some within NTL that are continuing to try and find ways of working constructively with conected users. I give them credit for that.

Mick
03-01-2004, 02:30
I do not know what went on between Frank and NTL.

Just like you do not know what went on between ntl and us, yet you make stuff up as you go along as you see fit. :rolleyes:

I wish you would make up your minds. First Neil accuses me of being the reason .com was closed. The an 'offical' statement from the team here says it was not caused by any indivdual - solely by NTL themselves.

I do blame ntl for they wanted that site shut regardless, they had not really played any huge interest in developing it. I joined the team in March and could not believe how little ntl did to promote that site. By June there was serious talks of closure and we was given a date. But the final nail in the coffin was due to the last few weeks of mayhem.

It seems to me the only thing you are consistent about is that those that had direct contact with NTL on behalf of users have no blame whatso ever in the closure of .com.

Correct, I am glad it seems to you. We did our duty, we helped lots of customers get the service they deserve, more so than you could ever of done.

the fact remains there are still some within NTL that are continuing to try and find ways of working constructively with conected users.

Correct but 'some' is nowhere near enough, NTL should be in leaps and bounds and actually listening to the people that matter to them, real customers. I believe one man tried to achieve this goal and his suggestions, his ideas all fell on deaf ears. I'm sick of repeating myself, but if they were not gonna listen to Frank (their own employee), they certainly were not going to listen to us.

erol
03-01-2004, 02:58
Just like you do not know what went on between ntl and us, yet you make stuff up as you go along as you see fit. :rolleyes:

Show me where I have made stuff up and I will happily appologise for it. If you can not, will you appologise to me for the accusation?

Mick
03-01-2004, 03:11
Show me where I have made stuff up and I will happily appologise for it. If you can not, will you appologise to me for the accusation?

No. gone are the days I run around after you erolz, I have far better things to do with my time than argue with you. Sorry if that seems personal but you made it very personal tonight with your alternative perspectives nonsense. :)

etccarmageddon
03-01-2004, 12:12

but when NTL were running .com, Peter also wanted to have nothing to do with that site as well. and also when .com was up and running, various ideas for a user forum were ignored. so who has failed to come up with the goods?

In my opinion it looked very unprofessional to have a company run web site and a product development manager who openly wanted nothing to do with it. Whatever the issues were, they should have been resolved. I even asked Peter openly what was driving him away from .com and didnt get an answer.

As everyone knows, my feelings about this site and how it came about are varied and not rose tinted... but the fact remains... .com no longer exists or is in coma. That's the kind of choices NTL management make.

and did we not have a 'power users' forum where emails were invited but ignored. another example of NTL connecting with users.

'Ten users or so of the site seemed to dominate the discussion, it cannot continue like this and as such the site is closing for two weeks while the service is reviewed though it isn't likely that it will return'

:rofl: thanks for bringing that old chestnut back! and what were these 10 or so dominatrixes wanting to discuss which was so terrible that .com had to close down...? I think it was the customer panel idea!

erol
03-01-2004, 13:19
No. gone are the days I run around after you erolz, I have far better things to do with my time than argue with you.

Like making unsupported accusations about me? I am not surprised that you will neither support your accusations with evidence or appologise for making them.

Sorry if that seems personal but you made it very personal tonight with your alternative perspectives nonsense. :)

Well I am sorry that by pointing out that NTL are reluctant to work with indivduals that they have already tried working with in the past and found the relationship to be unworkable / unsatisfactory, you see that as a personal attack.

Mick
03-01-2004, 13:48
Like making unsupported accusations about me? I am not surprised that you will neither support your accusations with evidence or appologise for making them.

You said you do not know what happened with Frank and ntl yet you seem absolutely sure, you know what happened with us, hmm - I am having a memory blackout here, I do not remember you being there in the background, so I would like to know how you possibly know everything about us when quite clearly you do not.

Well I am sorry that by pointing out that NTL are reluctant to work with indivduals that they have already tried working with in the past and found the relationship to be unworkable / unsatisfactory, you see that as a personal attack.

Get it right, it was the other way round, we found that it was not workable with them - when it came to the decision making we was kept right out of it.

Paul
03-01-2004, 13:54
Maybe this thread should be closed now as it seems to have deterioated into another mods/erolz argument. :(

Mick
03-01-2004, 14:02
Maybe this thread should be closed now as it seems to have deterioated into another mods/erolz argument. :(

I'm sorry that this has occurred I really am, but I find it really annoying when someone makes things out that quite clearly are untrue. I will refrain from any further exchanges between myself and erolz. Let the customer panel idea discussion continue. :)

Sociable
03-01-2004, 14:10

No way!!

That would be to allow Erol to be the cause of closing a positive thread in much the same way as his unfortunate style and combative attitude, just when things were getting far better at .com, was at least a part of the decision to close the whole forum.

I'm not saying Erol was completely to blame, but I for one always cringed when he joined any thread in "support" of a good idea as his style and attitude alwys tended to have this effect of making a discussion a personal one. The phrase "with friends like that who need enemies" always sprung to mind.

I therefore ask Erol to refrain from further enflaming the situation and that the mods assist in this by not responding further to his posts if he does post again as it is clear the history between them makes constructive debate impossible.

EDIT: I see Dr P has already responded positively so many thanks Dr P your post is very much appreciated. I just hope Erol will follow the example.

Russ
03-01-2004, 14:18
Erol may post comments which some people will feel strongly about (and I'm not sticking up for anyone here) but remember there won't be any personal attacks on this site.... :)

Russ
03-01-2004, 14:47
but when NTL were running .com, Peter also wanted to have nothing to do with that site as well. and also when .com was up and running, various ideas for a user forum were ignored. so who has failed to come up with the goods?

In my opinion it looked very unprofessional to have a company run web site and a product development manager who openly wanted nothing to do with it.

Perhaps it would be wise to hold back with comments about people who are not here to be able to speak up for themselves.....

Florence
03-01-2004, 15:25
I really think this thread needs to get back to customers ideas that could help solve todays problems.

I do know Peter will not be happy being dragged into this when he has no way to defend himself.

Lets just continue and plan to build a better future for NTL's customers.

rodd
03-01-2004, 15:27
From what I have seen, ntl have made no effort at all to try to work with the customers who gave feedback by way of the 'hell' sites. It's no good trying to blame those running the sites either. The complaints and feedback were there for all to see, clearly said and posted.

What chance had the efforts of those running such sites of being listened to, however hard they tried, when the previous owner and editor of the .com site, then working at ntl and privy to the meetings, could not even get through to ntl, quote Frank [ I told them till I was blue in the face ] end-quote.

There was never any effort made by ntl to correct the source of those last-resort complaints that came to the .com hell site, which had to fixed through the 'back-door' contacts. The same complaints just kept recurring again and again, nothing changed, and none of the feedback of those complaints was taken on-board by ntl.

The only use ntl seemed to see in having the .com site, was to con customers that they wanted to work with them, but it was rather, an attempt to quieten the criticism down. I suspect that is also ntl's ulterior motive in their latest moves towards other 'hell' sites.

NTL have no genuine interest in working with customers. They prefer to either quieten them down, or ignore them completely, to quote Ashley Grossman [-we could close the site down, ride out a few weeks bad press and quietly ignore the many protest sites and alternative sites that would undoubtedly spring up.] end-quote.

Sociable
03-01-2004, 15:36
I think we should at least give NTL a chance to respond to the general theme of this thread before we jump to any conclusions about what that reaction will be.

I will be putting together a mail to Peter in as positive a way as possible and remain hopefull that we can find a constructive way forward.

It will help that process if we all try to think and act more positively and put any past bad experiences behind us as that will be part of what I say to Peter in my message to him.

rodd
03-01-2004, 17:46

One site was ntlhell the other was a help site.'Product development' could be started, by sorting out ntl's present services, before adding more product burden upon them.

It might also be an idea, to keep open any 'face to face user forum' that they may set up. Peter M could speak to Ashley G on advice of setting one up, if there is any communication there.

etccarmageddon
03-01-2004, 18:10
Perhaps it would be wise to hold back with comments about people who are not here to be able to speak up for themselves.....

it wasnt aimed as a comment aimed at or about any paticular person just about how unprofessional it looked.

carlingman
04-01-2004, 01:36
Just to throw in my 2ps worth.

I am under the impression that NTL would be very reluctant to enter into any such negotiations with this site for a few of the reasons below.

It is highly unlikely that NTL will want to get their fingers burnt again as they did in the past by their so called Mods/Admins deceiving them and lying to the members while all along taking NTLs money by way of payment for moderating the site when all along they putting back ups in place to move here.

Now I am not flaming here as I have accepted the current teams reasons for doing this.

There were at the time of .com certain Mods/Admin who abused their powers by putting their jack boots on jumping down on anyone who was remotely critical of the site which then fast tracked the idea of closure to NTL as the constant closing of threads was becoming a joke as far as NTL were concerned and the site was no longer being taken serious.

Ironically at this time NTL were pulling out all the stops to snoop and try and find out if the current team at the time were trying to assist the sites closure while they were setting up this one but it was all to no avail and was a pretty well kept secret.

I thought and still do think it was wrong of the team there at the time to single out individuals and blame them for the closure, they have contributed in a certain way but to single out certain individuals and even name them at one point was bang out of order when they themselves were happily contributing to the demise of a site they were being paid to moderate etc.

Smacks a bit of double standards, but life moves on and it happened.

I really donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t envy the person who is given the task of trying to convince NTL to enter into any form of negotiations with a Customer Based Panel in anyway connected with this site when they will know full well that some of the current team here were the same team that schemed and lied to them while on their payroll setting this place up as back up contingency for when their bubble finally burst.

The chance to negotiate with NTL was squandered the day the team over there decided to shaft them and set this site up as a back up, and no doubt they will be very unwilling to give you or anyone connected here with a second chance.

Without naming any names I agree in part with Erol posted some time ago and share the view that to get NTL to listen to the its users is not going to be done with certain members of the team here as they are not the most appropriate people to get the job done.

As I have said above and I will say again this is my personal opinion and I am not flaming anyone here as I have accepted the current teamâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s reasons for setting this site up and think up to now the site has become fair more successful than .com ever was in certain aspects.

Anyhow enough from me, I admire the sentiments and the idea of trying to set up the Customer Panel but whoever his labelled and given this task personally I really think you are fighting a losing battle here although I would love to be proved wrong.

Russ
04-01-2004, 09:46
.....so instead they go to another NTL forum where they don't need to spend much/anything to get customers on their side :)

Florence
04-01-2004, 10:19
We are now discussing this here what NTL was offering to replace .com wouldn't have allowed what is happening here now.

There was a problem on both sides the Admin team was getting help for customers that part worked extremely well. The problem was the management who was only looking for ways or excuses to close .com down.

Participation from management on .com was extremely poor this created the problems. The Admin team could see they were being ignored and this is never good. This showed a complete lack of communication. Now they have seen this they decide to try the panel. It was only posted on two forums when it should have gone out as general realise. It was unfortunate that one of the forums was one that had to clear a lot out to make them look more NTL friendly.

I know this is the same admin team as .com but Ashley G has to look to himself for what has happened. Had he been more a true manager accepted the forums for the information and feedback it could give instead of the customers are enemyÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s forum things would have been different. This team perhaps became frustrated with Ashley as he had a one track mind when it came to the forums that was it was closing he just hadn't completely decided when.

Lets not pass the blame onto this team they have worked hard for the customers under bad conditions and got the best they could for the customers.. Ashley G had only one agenda close the forums so customers couldn't complain.

Now we have more than one way to get things sorted if NTL are slow to respond. We have this forum, ISPreview complaints, and http://www.arbitrators.org/cisas/ if NTL are in the cisas. A lot have been using them to work between the customer and the ISP to create communication and resolve the problem.

A long post yes but it had to be to show that communication between manager and Admins had died and the Admins was only thinking of their members/NTL customers at the time.

I sent Ashley emails which he decided to ignore just after the plug was pulled like the ones sent to all managers. Again NTL had shown a bad case of companyââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s lack of communication.

Peter M is offering a way to communicate and it has to be accepted. I have been in communication with Peter and he does reply which is a positive step forward maybe other managers will see that this is a way to improve the company.

It is a new year and these Admins shouldnââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t be blamed for NTLs uncooperative attitude. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s in NTLs court to build bridges and bring all the customers into any decision on the panel.

etccarmageddon
04-01-2004, 10:38
I have been in communication with Peter and he does reply which is a positive step forward maybe other managers will see that this is a way to improve the company.

It's still a shame though that Peter is inviting people to join 'trials' but ignoring this forum - at the end of the day, it's the members of this forum who miss out - NTL staff should remember that the members of this forum are no different to members on the other forums - ie they all have something in common - they are customers.

Bigtone
04-01-2004, 11:26
I really think ntl should be sorting out their current
services rather then introducing new ones,it stinks
of politics and pettyness why a product
manager has decided to ignore customers here,its a typical
ntl attitude,putting politics first before customers.

Mick
04-01-2004, 11:43
Ironically at this time NTL were pulling out all the stops to snoop and try and find out if the current team at the time were trying to assist the sites closure while they were setting up this one but it was all to no avail and was a pretty well kept secret.

How the hell do you come up with that carlingman? We was told ntl wanted the site closed by 24th June 2003, this was launched on the 20th June 2003 any idea to launch this site before we was told this did not exist so how we helped assist in the closure i'll never know, when ntl had already decided this way back, before any idea went into creating this site. :)

If ntl ignore a customer panel because they are members of this site, then that just goes to show how 'petty' and full of politics ntl are.

Russ
04-01-2004, 11:46

I wouldn't agree that he's ignoring customers from here as many people from here post over there as well, but I think it would be nice if a similar announcement was made here. I understand that NTL would be weary of working with the admin team here but they could make such an offer without involving us.

Bigtone
04-01-2004, 12:06
I wouldn't agree that he's ignoring customers from here as many people from here post over there as well, but I think it would be nice if a similar announcement was made here. I understand that NTL would be weary of working with the admin team here but they could make such an offer without involving us.

They could, we have to mail trials@ntl.com and tell them we are from ntlhell
whats wrong with saying hold on a minute I'm not a member
of that forum, but I AM A CUSTOMER???

Russ
04-01-2004, 12:15
They could, we have to mail trials@ntl.com and tell them we are from ntlhell
whats wrong with saying hold on a minute I'm not a member
of that forum, but I AM A CUSTOMER???

I don't think it would be practical to contact every customer, so they just get a few through other means, and doing it through an NTL related forum (where, naturally, you can expect to find NTL customers) is in theory a good idea but my point is that the offer should not be made to just one site, especially when there are others with higher membership numbers.

Sociable
04-01-2004, 12:30
This has never been about Admins it has always been about Members.

One interesting point many seem to have missed was that even back on .com when this idea was first put forward a distinction was always made between the general membership of the forum and the Admin team.

Because of the special circumstances of .com there was an obvious need to include the admin teams in addition to nominated "MEMBERS" because of NTL's ownership of that site it would have been imposible not to.

That is no longer the case though and it now seems entirely appropriate that any "panel" should be drawn from the membership of "All" NTL user groups if it is to have credibility and actually work in any positive way.

What unites us all is our being customers of NTL not our individual association with specific forums. The impression given by the apparent deliberate exclusion of this forum is that this was meant to divide the various groups.

Please do not allow that to happen. The best way to do this is by putting the past behind us and concentrating on constructive ways to move this idea forward instead.

Russ
04-01-2004, 12:34
I've been asked to point out that such an offer was made here on the 24th of October 2003 and can be found here (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3658) and a similar post made on Chetnet on or around the 6th November.

Sociable
04-01-2004, 12:43
I've been asked to point out that such an offer was made here on the 24th of October 2003 and can be found here (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3658) and a similar post made on Chetnet on or around the 6th November.

Thanks for that Russ.

Part of the problem for people like myself is that as we are not members of any other forum it was not possible to know what this latest "offer" to participate was actually about. That would have been avoided had they posted here as well of course, but better late than never.

The implication from what was originally posted in this thread was that NTL were moving forward with the "panel" idea but deliberately excluding us. It would seem from what you have just posted this was not the case at all but simply them following up on that one specific trial which we already knew about.

Thanks again for the clarification.

rodd
04-01-2004, 16:05
Admin and moderators, I take it, would be just as welcome on any panel, as other customers. Or they should be, regardless of what their previous relationship was with ntl, or how they got on with them.

It seems to me that pretty well the main message that the customer panel would be, is to give customers, services that actually work as they should do, barring the exceptional occasion.

It's a customer message that already can be seen and read by ntl at any time on the 'hell' sites. It's a message, in effect, by an all-member 'customer panel'. It hardly really needs another 'panel' to meet with ntl to tell them of that bit of feedback. It is not news.

Where a direct-contact panel can be an asset though, is in telling ntl of a new need or desire of the customers, or of a different way that something might be done.

With a company that seeks out customer feedback, and works with that customer feedback, to the mutual benefit of both customer and company, that is where a 'customer panel' can work well for the future.

Has ntl done that New Year somersault, and is no longer of the past?

On the product development trials.
When trying out a new product development, I would have thought that it would be best to use people who had no service problems, otherwise it could produce faulty results. Which makes it seem strange to me, that ntl goes to 'hell' sites, where people have sevice problems, and are used for the trial.

Then again, maybe they want the trial carried out under 'normal' ntl service conditions. If it works under 'hell' conditions, it will work anywhere. ;)

Florence
04-01-2004, 18:24
It's still a shame though that Peter is inviting people to join 'trials' but ignoring this forum - at the end of the day, it's the members of this forum who miss out - NTL staff should remember that the members of this forum are no different to members on the other forums - ie they all have something in common - they are customers.

It really isn't fair to put the blame at Peter he does post on the other two forums but not here I am sure if Pointman was around he would have like he did for the news trails.

Let us not create a wall between us and the few that are trying to communicate. The more members have a go at Pete then less likely he is to want this forums members on the trails. Please give things a chance.

Paul
04-01-2004, 19:35
Like I said a few pages back ;

I really think too many people on this site are trying to read far too much into events - I don't suppose anybody considered the more obvious reason that Peter simply posted it on the two sites he is a member of ?

Frank
04-01-2004, 19:36
It really isn't fair to put the blame at Peter he does post on the other two forums but not here I am sure if Pointman was around he would have like he did for the news trails.Perhaps everyone should bear in mind that those ntl staff who do become involved, in whatever capacity, do do off their own backs. Their presence is not required here, or on any other ntl-related forum, but instead they voluntarily (sometimes in their own time) have conversations with ntl's customers.

IMHO, these people are to be commended for their involvement, no matter how limited it is, simply because they do it through choice and not because they are told to by ntl.

ntl the company needs to wake up and start talking to their customers in an official capacity instead of leaving it to a small minority of the more enthusiastic employees to do in their own time.

carlingman
05-01-2004, 23:56
How the hell do you come up with that carlingman? We was told ntl wanted the site closed by 24th June 2003, this was launched on the 20th June 2003 any idea to launch this site before we was told this did not exist so how we helped assist in the closure i'll never know, when ntl had already decided this way back, before any idea went into creating this site. :)

If ntl ignore a customer panel because they are members of this site, then that just goes to show how 'petty' and full of politics ntl are.

Now now Mick come off it a bit here.

I believe and know there is more to it than that as well you do.

I am not going to get into the politics about the date but my main point was that you knew or maybe not yourself personally but those concerned were well aware of the iminent closure of .com and stopped on the gravy train (payroll) defending them right up until the plug was pulled and then when you had the whistle blown over here came clean.

Like i said before in the past i sort of accept the reasons for this but lets not try and gloss over it.

Again you misread what i have said NTL will not ignore a customer panel because of the Members of this site more the case they will be well wary about getting their fingers burnt by the Admin of this site.

And yes I agree they are petty and full of politics.

Again to reiterate it has happened so move on as many have done.

icanadvise
06-02-2004, 17:58
I think we should at least give NTL a chance to respond to the general theme of this thread before we jump to any conclusions about what that reaction will be.

I will be putting together a mail to Peter in as positive a way as possible and remain hopefull that we can find a constructive way forward.

It will help that process if we all try to think and act more positively and put any past bad experiences behind us as that will be part of what I say to Peter in my message to him.
What did he reply out of interest?

Sociable
06-02-2004, 18:53
What did he reply out of interest?

Basically that it was not his department so he had no interest at all and in any case his involvement with any forum is not as an NTL emplyee as such so he rarely even posts in that capacity even when it is his department.

So sadly Erol's suggestion led to a dead end but I live in hope a more willing individual can be located eventually that can speak for NTL so we can move this project forward.

Frank
06-02-2004, 19:04
So sadly Erol's suggestion led to a dead end but I live in hope a more willing individual can be located eventually that can speak for NTL so we can move this project forward.I don't know about willing, but we can definitely find the person who can help us with this idea. It's not a bad idea at all, and hopefully we can get something off the ground soon. I will PM you about it.

Sociable
06-02-2004, 19:08
I don't know about willing, but we can definitely find the person who can help us with this idea. It's not a bad idea at all, and hopefully we can get something off the ground soon. I will PM you about it.

That's great Keyser.

Sorry I sort of let this thread lapse over the holidays :blush: but it is certainly time to have another try to get it moving so I look forward to getting the PM.

EDIT: Thanks for the PM I see now why holding off for a few was appropriate so less :blush: now. :)

Florence
06-02-2004, 19:10
Basically that it was not his department so he had no interest at all and in any case his involvement with any forum is not as an NTL emplyee as such so he rarely even posts in that capacity even when it is his department.

So sadly Erol's suggestion led to a dead end but I live in hope a more willing individual can be located eventually that can speak for NTL so we can move this project forward.

I wasn't suprised Sociable at the time of you contacting him some on here was attacking him for not posting on here.

He is after all only working with those who trial products what we need is a general manager who is interested in moving the company forward.

Frank
07-02-2004, 00:24
What we need is someone in a position of responsibility who is willing to get their hands dirty and try and sort out some of ntl's worst problems in conjunction with customers who aren't going to go away.

Stuartbe
07-02-2004, 00:31
What we need is someone in a position of responsibility who is willing to get their hands dirty and try and sort out some of ntl's worst problems in conjunction with customers who aren't going to go away.

:tu: dont hold your breath m8 !!!

Florence
07-02-2004, 00:50
perhaps a few from each area could arrange a visit on the same day. Like a co-ordinated effort to get these area managers to look at the idea for the future of NTL.

icanadvise
13-02-2004, 12:54

Thanks for that Sociable I think it is difficult to judge what this means when we do not know what you asked him? For example you mention "department" twice.

I think the "willing" is a bit unfair given his active participation in .com when it was around and other forums today. Of all NTL employees I think he has consistently supported us customers the longest. Is this lack of willingness towards individuals or this site?

I wonder if maybe the wrong questions were asked maybe the right questions in the wrong way maybe it should be one of the formal NTHW team who asks?

Thanks again for your efforts.

Sociable
13-02-2004, 13:40
Thanks for that Sociable I think it is difficult to judge what this means when we do not know what you asked him? For example you mention "department" twice.

I think the "willing" is a bit unfair given his active participation in .com when it was around and other forums today. Of all NTL employees I think he has consistently supported us customers the longest. Is this lack of willingness towards individuals or this site?

I wonder if maybe the wrong questions were asked maybe the right questions in the wrong way maybe it should be one of the formal NTHW team who asks?

Thanks again for your efforts.

At Peter's request the discussion we had remains "Private". It may, however, help if I restate the main conclusions.

The reason for contacting Peter specifically was that Erol had inferred he was the right person to talk to about moving forward with the scheme and was willing to discuss the issues with me.

It was only after having had an initial discussion with him this proved to be incorrect and that, despite Peter's continued interest in providing information and advice specifically within the area of Customer Trials, he was not able to get involved at all with the sort of scheme we are proposing here.

Peter is not now, and does not wish to be, a spokesperson for NTL.

To quote the Signature he uses on forums:

"Any opinions expressed as 'Peter M' are entirely my own, and in no way are intended to reflect the views of ntl:. Any assistance or advice offered, is given in good faith, but if I didn't think it was good advice I wouldn't give it."

Willing in this case was, therefore, specific to the notion of participating in a customer panel scheme as an NTL spokesperson along the lines described in this thread and the earlier one at .com no more than that.

This was not linked in any way to the idea having come from .co.uk but simply that he felt that participation by himself in the scheme was outside the scope of his position within NTL and the way he prefers to be involved with the various forums.

So where to next?

The problem for us, at least in the short term, is that NTL themselves are currently re-organising and so it is not possible to identify who would be the most appropriate person to contact.

Hopefully this situation will become clearer before too long and we will be able to progress this idea further. Until then it still makes sense to continue to discuss and refine our ideas so that as and when we can proceed we will be better prepared to get a positive outcome.

I hope this clarifies the current state of play and apologise for any confusion or wrong impression given by my earlier post regarding this matter.

icanadvise
15-02-2004, 13:36
Thank you for that Sociable. At the risk of sounding like a dog gnawing at a bone I do still wonder if your initiative towards him should still be supported by an equivalent one from the Admin team.

Isnââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t Pointman the Customer Trials person for NTL?

Sociable
15-02-2004, 13:57
Thank you for that Sociable. At the risk of sounding like a dog gnawing at a bone I do still wonder if your initiative towards him should still be supported by an equivalent one from the Admin team.

Isnââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t Pointman the Customer Trials person for NTL?

Yes he is :)

EDIT: And as you will see we are actively working with him with regard to the next trial involving broadband diagnostics:

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7520

As for the initial point this is a group effort and my approach to Peter was in response to posts and comments earlier in this thread and also PM's from Erol which gave a wrong impression about Peter's possible interest.

The team, as well as everyone else, were aware I was doing this and will also be involved as and when we are in a position to progress it further with A. N. Other at NTL at some point in the future.

rodd
15-02-2004, 17:31
If ntl becomes 'under new management' to any extent, then it will certainly be more worthwhile, trying to negotiate with them.

How meaningful a discussion would be, would depend on how true, the intent of ntl was, in having a meaningful discussion.

The sign, that ntl really had a 'true intent' of meaningful discussion, with anyone from this site, would be if ntl reopened .com.

Otherwise..............

Florence
16-02-2004, 00:53
I would keep an eye on Alan Grant and pointman I think they might be more willing to guide us in the right direction. I am still willing to meet up most days I finish work early afternoon giving time to get through to their offices....

icanadvise
16-02-2004, 19:37
As for the initial point this is a group effort and my approach to Peter was in response to posts and comments earlier in this thread and also PM's from Erol which gave a wrong impression about Peter's possible interest.
I now understand he is a casualty of this http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?p=140335#post140335, and is no longer part of NTL Home hence your comment in post 107 †œThanks for the PM I see now why holding off for a few was appropriateââ ¡Ã‚¬Ã‚

Respect for not making a big deal of this unfortunate occurrence.

Frank
16-02-2004, 20:54
This is a different Peter we are talking about. What Sociable meant was that we need to see how the new structure pans out and who is responsible for what. We'll then have a better idea of who to approach.

icanadvise
16-02-2004, 21:52
This is a different Peter we are talking about. What Sociable meant was that we need to see how the new structure pans out and who is responsible for what. We'll then have a better idea of who to approach.
Imo its clear that Socaible and I are talking about the same Peter, and its not Peter w ;-)

Reorganizations at NTL = job cuts so the idea that after a reorganisation we will discover a saviour is nonsense.

If that person hasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t come forward in the past two years then they are unknown and untrusted to the members of these forums. What did the past bring †“ most recent was Ash G, before that Tim ? who was such a prolific poster?

If you want known and trusted the list just got shorter.

Florence
16-02-2004, 22:13
Imo its clear that Socaible and I are talking about the same Peter, and its not Peter w ;-)

Reorganizations at NTL = job cuts so the idea that after a reorganisation we will discover a saviour is nonsense.

If that person hasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t come forward in the past two years then they are unknown and untrusted to the members of these forums. What did the past bring †“ most recent was Ash G, before that Tim ? who was such a prolific poster?

If you want known and trusted the list just got shorter.I would hope that if someone from NTL came here to try and help build bridges between customers and managment they would be given the chance to prove themselves. Most are willing to try and give NTL the benefit. I really would like to see something happen that makes it better for customers. The staff also need to be happy and know what they are doing. A trust between customers and staff needs to be rebuilt. I really do find most staff to be really friendly and helpfull. I do go by how they talk to me I do a mystery shop job where I have to monitor how customers are greeted by staff. It is really good when you have someone who is polite and helpful.

rodd
16-02-2004, 23:18
It is hard to see ntl starting to listen to .co.uk, when ntl didn't even listen to their own site, .com, which spent years telling ntl about their faults that were never corrected.

If ntl wanted to start talking to a feedback site and build bridges, surely ntl would reopen ntl's own feedback site, and talk to that site.

It just doesn't make sense to me, of there being a situation of .com being kept closed, but ntl talking to the offshoot, .co.uk. There is no logic to it, why would ntl do that.

Were such a peculiar situation as the above, to happen, and someone from ntl did talk to us, I'm sure he would be treated on merit and given a chance, as Ash G and Tim R were. Though many would be sceptical of how productive it would be, and perhaps even of ntl's motives.

Florence
16-02-2004, 23:27
It is hard to see ntl starting to listen to .co.uk, when ntl didn't even listen to their own site, .com, which spent years telling ntl about their faults that were never corrected.

If ntl wanted to start talking to a feedback site and build bridges, surely ntl would reopen ntl's own feedback site, and talk to that site.

It just doesn't make sense to me, of there being a situation of .com being kept closed, but ntl talking to the offshoot, .co.uk. There is no logic to it, why would ntl do that.

Were such a peculiar situation as the above, to happen, and someone from ntl did talk to us, I'm sure he would be treated on merit and given a chance, as Ash G and Tim R were. Though many would be sceptical of how productive it would be, and perhaps even of ntl's motives.

Before NTL had control and was slowly about to stop the freedom of speach part the discusions.

Now they have no such hold they are back to before they took control of .com. When customers have problems they are very vocal its a shame when things are going well most never say anything but this is all ISPs not just NTL.

icanadvise
18-02-2004, 22:17

First three paragraphs - spot on.

Look earlier in this thread to see how Peter was treated on merit
So he cannot choose which forum he joins?
From someone who a few posts earlier said
and along the way added

icanadvise
21-02-2004, 19:34
With respect Russ that just sounds like 'if a first you do not sucseed - give up'.

Maybe NTL will not listen. Maybe they will BS you. Does that mean that users should not keep on trying to get them to address their issues jointly and directly?

Sure NTL will do what NTL wants - do users do any different? The whole objective is to try and find win - win senarios and convince the right people of the case. If you get fobbed off - keep trying. If they BS, you respond not in kind but with ever more reasoned and refined arguments. Keep on trying. That way you have a chance, however small, of effecting change. Decide that there is no point - attack NTL at any opportunity - slate any attempt NTL makes to interact with it's users unless it's on your terms - and you have no chance imo of effecting change.
I bookmarked this post and find it very astute.

I wonder if this site is not shooting itself in the foot with threads like this http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?p=146572#post146572

In parallel other sites like ntlhell and chetnet have gone about their business, worked with ntl and set up Technology Trials forums like this http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/index.php?c=6 announced today.

The ntlhell one is for members only and has been around for a while.

Russ
21-02-2004, 19:39
In parallel other sites like ntlhell and chetnet have gone about their business, worked with ntl and set up Technology Trials forums like this http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/index.php?c=6 announced today.

You seem to forget that Chetnet is moderated by one of NTL's directors, plus the fact they did offer users of this site the opportunity to get involved with the Technology Trials.

Last but not least don't forget that the team here at .co.uk have already tried working with NTL over on .com, and look where that got us.

Frank
21-02-2004, 20:27
Not to mention the fact that the thread referred to is a joke. It would appear that some people need to get a sense of humour.

That thread is hardly representative of the whole site, is it?

icanadvise
21-02-2004, 20:27
You seem to forget that Chetnet is moderated by one of NTL's directors, plus the fact they did offer users of this site the opportunity to get involved with the Technology Trials.

That would be "ex" Russ he doesn't work for NTL HOME any more ;-) see post 120 in this thread

Interesting observation - †œplus the fact they did offer users of this site the opportunity to get involved with the Technology Trials.ââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚

But we arenââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t talking about just †œgetting involvedââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚ the setting up of dedicated forums is a whole different ball game and shows initiative from those other forums.

I also donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t think we are talking about †œTechnology TrialsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â. Read the definition of Technology Trials on Chetnet because they very DEFINITELY arenââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t the same as Newsgroups and Broadband Medic.

So Iâ₠™ll ask a few more questions:

Where on this forum does someone from NTL †œoffer the opportunity to set up a Technology Trials ForumÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â?

Or, was this offer made in private to the Admin Team here?

If it was made †œin privateââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚ why donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t we have Technology Trials Forums here?

Did the Admin Team here decline to co-operate with NTL, and if so when did this happen?

Why weren't the members told?

Why isn't this site following this initiative?

Russ
21-02-2004, 20:32
That would be "ex" Russ he doesn't work for NTL HOME any more ;-)

Peter McKain no longer works for NTL? That's news to me.

Interesting observation - †œplus the fact they did offer users of this site the opportunity to get involved with the Technology Trials.ââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚

But we arenââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t talking about just †œgetting involvedââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚ the setting up of dedicated forums is a whole different ball game and shows initiative from those other forums.

I also donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t think we are talking about †œTechnology TrialsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â. Read the definition of Technology Trials on Chetnet because they very DEFINITELY arenââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t the same as Newsgroups and Broadband Medic.

NTL are weary of working with us as it's been tried in the past on .com. We saw what they're like.

Or, was this offer made in private to the Admin Team here?

See above.

Did the Admin Team here decline to co-operate with NTL, and if so when did this happen?

Were you not aware that the majority of the admin team here used to be admins on the NTL-owned nthellworld.com? And Peter Mckain IIRC used to post here but then decided not to.

Why isn't this site following this initiative?

We've tried, by jumping jiminy jacob we've tried.

Frank
21-02-2004, 20:44
But we arenââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t talking about just †œgetting involvedââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚ the setting up of dedicated forums is a whole different ball game and shows initiative from those other forums. Really? Sorry we're so uninnovitive.

Where on this forum does someone from NTL †œoffer the opportunity to set up a Technology Trials ForumÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â?
Where on any forum does ntl officially offer this opportunity? AFAIK, all these "opportunities" are made available to visitors of said forums by ntl employees on a personal basis under their own initiative.

If it was made †œin privateââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚ why donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t we have Technology Trials Forums here? It may have escaped your attention, but Chetnet is a dedicated Cable Modem website. As such, Internet Technology trials are very relevant to their website. This site, however, has a much wider remit in that it covers all ntl product lines and their "customer service". So in my personal opinion, we don't have any Technology Trials Forums on this site because our visitors haven't asked for one, and because all those ntl employees on "other sites" do not post on this site.

Did the Admin Team here decline to co-operate with NTL, and if so when did this happen? I think you'll find it was the other way around when ntl decided to close down nthellworld.com without bothering to get the opinions of any of the admin team.

Starsurfer
21-02-2004, 21:08
Where on any forum does ntl officially offer this opportunity? AFAIK, all these "opportunities" are made available to visitors of said forums by ntl employees on a personal basis under their own initiative.

:nworthy: And for this we are grateful

Proppinupthebar
21-02-2004, 21:10
:nworthy: And for this we are grateful

Not all of you are. I can state that as fact.
As was pointed out to me this week this sites name is NTHELLWORLD and I should take that into account.

Chrysalis
22-02-2004, 05:21
I went there but there is no way to register for the trials, I assume this means they closed shop now on new registrations?

rodd
22-02-2004, 14:40
Look earlier in this thread to see how Peter was treated on merit
Members were under the misapprehension that Peter was officially representing ntl, that was making an unmerited snub on this site, an offshoot of .com that ntl had just closed. It was clarified later, that Peter was under his own steam, and IMO, being aware of ntl's sensitivities towards us, went elsewhere first. That's my take on it.

This site does in fact speak and make communication with ntl, with the likes of ntl members that join the site, (such as the 'on merit' discussion in the cap thread) and only just recently by email to ntl, which NTL responded with a reply that loosely said, 'off.

The site was (in diplomatic speak) open and forthright in the next email. Good British diplomacy at it's best!

This site is communicating with ntl, but better communication is achieved, the stronger you are, and this site is in the process of getting bigger and stronger. We haven't given up.... we will be back, in good terminator style. ;)

icanadvise
20-03-2004, 09:37
I don't know about willing, but we can definitely find the person who can help us with this idea. It's not a bad idea at all, and hopefully we can get something off the ground soon.
Any recent progress?

Has anything changed recently at NTL that might help this along?

icanadvise
24-04-2004, 11:37
Ditto the above - what news guys?

Now the changes are is in place at NTL is any progress being made on we can definitely find the person who can help us?

Have you spoken to the new "Heads and Directors" in the Internet Teams at NTL?

Its a shame the news about the Tier Speed increases came out elsewhere first.

aspdd watsrr
29-04-2005, 19:10

What is the benefit to me and my shareholders ? is it already happening or is it this NTL & customer pannel idea that has started to come to life again ?

Raistlin
29-04-2005, 22:55
WoW, that has to be the oldest Bump I've seen in a long time!!!!

Paul
29-04-2005, 23:12
WoW, that has to be the oldest Bump I've seen in a long time!!!!Jesus, I posted that in November 2003 (only about three weeks after joining !!!!).