PDA

View Full Version : Odd question I got today...

Jerrek
21-11-2003, 02:30
I had an interview today with another company (I'm looking for a job for my co-op term and have applied to more than 30 job postings so far), and they asked me this question at the end of the interview:

You are a box. You want to sell yourself to us. Give us the following information and reasons for your choices.

- What would the box's size be?

- What would the box be made of?

- What would be inside the box, if anything?

- Three words to write on the outside.

This made me thing... What would YOU answer? You have about 5 minutes to think. :)

Jerrek
21-11-2003, 02:39
Probably a personality question. When I interviewed potential employees I had two questions (less elaborate though) that I liked to ask:

What would your mom say of you?

Who is the governor general of Canada?

I gave the following answers for the box question.

size? Small, because I don't have a lot of experience and need to learn. Thats why I'm in university and why I'm in co-op.

materials? Ice. I'm proud to be a Canadian by choice, and ice represents Canada.

inside the box? Nothing. I prefer an open box because I like thinking outside the box.

Three words? Friendship, honesty, and patience

kronas
21-11-2003, 02:40
i would say, what the f**k has this got to do with the job!

i think its dependant on the job your applying for you may have to have an understanding of the product you may not nessecarily be selling an item but you need to understand what it is that you are doing or is required

EDIT yeh might be a trick question :D

kronas
21-11-2003, 02:48
so you could be the best in the world at what you do but because you answer a personality question wrong you don't get the job?

an old quote: its the law of the west :disturbd: :D

Scarlett
21-11-2003, 08:19
I actually had a da*n good question to use at the end of an interview. You usually will get a chance (If you don't then that should start the alarm bells going)

So the one I use is "Do you have any concerns with me as a candidate for this job ?" This is great because it allows you one last chance to combat any negative thoughts and more importantly, I found, allows you to see how your prospective employer reacts. This might mean that you think twice before accepting an offer from them. I know that in one job I went for the interviewer seemed quite insulted that I'd asked the question!

Scarlett.

BTW, Just remembered, it puts them on the spot and makes em squirm and after what they just put YOU through for that last 30 mins/hour, it's only fair :D

Paul
21-11-2003, 09:13
Probably a personality question. When I interviewed potential employees I had two questions (less elaborate though) that I liked to ask:

What would your mom say of you?

Who is the governor general of Canada?

I gave the following answers for the box question.

size? Small, because I don't have a lot of experience and need to learn. Thats why I'm in university and why I'm in co-op.

materials? Ice. I'm proud to be a Canadian by choice, and ice represents Canada.

inside the box? Nothing. I prefer an open box because I like thinking outside the box.

Three words? Friendship, honesty, and patienceI can safely say that if, as an employer, I had got those answers to my questions I would have moved on to the next person. Then again, I can also safely say I would never ask such daft questions in the first place. :D

timewarrior2001
21-11-2003, 09:27
I can safely say that if, as an employer, I had got those answers to my questions I would have moved on to the next person. Then again, I can also safely say I would never ask such daft questions in the first place. :DLMAO, please Jerrek dont take this personally you were put on the spot and came up with a good answer I think........But........I can just see it now......

......Candidate full of ****!

Stamped all over the interviewers sheet. :D

Ramrod
21-11-2003, 09:50
Sounds like you are going for a job in advertising Jerrek:D

Bex
21-11-2003, 15:55
sounds a pretty profound question really....u sure u wanna work for these people :p

edit: reminded me of a stupid drama workshop i did when was studying drama...... instead of being the tree....be the box, feel the box....