PDA

View Full Version : Keep losing connection - please help

cjgurluk
28-02-2006, 03:19
Hello, I've decided to post a message on here just in case there is anyone who could possibly help me because i have a problem with my ntl connection and ntl dont seem to be able to help me.

im currently on the 10mbit service with the ntl 250 blue modem with a belkin 4 port wired router and i have my pc connected with ethernet cable. i have never had any trouble with my setup and its been perfect for more than 2 years. the only service i have from ntl is the broadband.

all of a sudden my connection keeps dropping and the ready light flashes. this keeps flashing for ages and cant come back on, then the sync light goes off, and i have to wait ages for it to come back on. if i unplug and plug in again this doesnt usually help. once i do get conection back it sometimes goes off again after 2 minutes. my internet is basically unusable now and im paying £35 a month.

i have been on the phone to ntl numerous times and i have had engineers here 4 times. first they put on an attenuator and equaliser which didnt fix it. then they took off the attenuator and put a new ac adaptor on it, this didnt fix it. and put a new modem on, which didnt fix it. they say the signal levels are fine and thats not the problem. they tested them in my house and also at the green box in the street and they say its all fine. but i still get the problem very often.

i think its worse at night, especially late at night. as im currently house bound its really important that i can use the net and its really annoying me now. its even just cut off while im trying to post this. im not sure what other info would help but here is some stats i got off my pc.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.8 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 43.3 dBmV

This is from the log i get:
Sun Feb 26 12:41:26 2006 25 Critical(3) 82000200
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Sun Feb 26 12:41:26 2006 1 Critical(3) 82000300
Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted

Sun Feb 26 12:43:02 2006 1 Critical(3) 68000300
DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Sun Feb 26 12:43:49 2006 16 Critical(3) 82000500 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Sun Feb 26 12:44:21 2006 1 Critical(3) 82000400
Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Sun Feb 26 12:44:36 2006 12 Critical(3) 82000200
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

it basically does that over and over again. the only option i have is phone ntl again and they will send another engineer but the last 4 times its a complete waste of time. i dont really want to cancel my service and move to BT. i just want my ntl to work again like it did before. i have tried taking the router off and plugging it directly into my pc and it makes no difference.

any suggestions or help would be very very appreciated.
thanks in advance.

KevAmiga
28-02-2006, 09:19
If you PM me the modems MAC address i can take a look this end, see if i can suggest anything.

pjw77uk1
28-02-2006, 10:11
I've been having similar problems for the past few months, though I'm running off a settop box (Samsung).

Is there any way of accessing the signal levels etc from the PC as you can if you have a CM?

Stuart
28-02-2006, 10:25
If you PM me the modems MAC address i can take a look this end, see if i can suggest anything.

I can confirm KevAmiga works for NTL.

shamone
07-03-2006, 18:24
hi, i am also recieving the same connection problems. I am using a 2mb connection, usb, not sure the type of modem but ive had it for 3years now. I only use ntl broadband. When i try connect it lasts for about 30 seconds the the usb light goes off and then the lights flash.
I have contacted ntl and they told me that it is my pc but i have gone through my pc with a fine comb and cant find anything. It keeps doing this, I cant seem to get my head arround it. its really streesin me as i need to access important emails but cant. could someone please help me :confused:

cjgurluk
07-03-2006, 23:21
hi, i am also recieving the same connection problems. I am using a 2mb connection, usb, not sure the type of modem but ive had it for 3years now. I only use ntl broadband. When i try connect it lasts for about 30 seconds the the usb light goes off and then the lights flash.
I have contacted ntl and they told me that it is my pc but i have gone through my pc with a fine comb and cant find anything. It keeps doing this, I cant seem to get my head arround it. its really streesin me as i need to access important emails but cant. could someone please help me :confused:

Hello, just thought i would let you know what happened with mine. After ntl engineers had been out to my house about 6 times and replaced everything the problem still wasnt fixed. After calling the tech support again and speaking to more nice people in India, they said they eliminated that there is any problem with our stuff in the house and that it was a network problem. They sent what they called network engineers who went to the green box in the street and replaced what they called a return path modulator and amplifier and now the problem is totally fixed. My connection was dropping every 10 minutes or so and now its perfect. Maybe the you could get similar results. Good luck with it anyway.

Mystical
08-03-2006, 12:13
I am having the exact same problems as the original poster and am in the Ilford, Essex area

PC is running Win XP, with no router (straight connection).

10mbit through ethernet

ntl:home 120 modem

Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.13 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.03 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 35.00 dBmv

I have contacted ntl once about a week ago who sent an engineer who attached some "Forward Path Attenuator" just before the connection enters the modem. One of 3db and one of 10db. This seems to have made no difference and the connection still drops very often. (just dropped 4 times in the last hour)

Update: Just called ntl again just now, engineer should be coming out today, hope they fix it this time

Mystical
08-03-2006, 16:00
Update from the last post:

Second visit, this time from a different engineer. He tested the signal levels and said the attenuator's first attached were faulty, he replaced those with one single 15db attenuator.

On first use it seems to be ok but a niggling thought in the back of my head says this is not going to fix the problems as highlighted by the many posts on this forum. Anyways lets see how long it lasts.

New signal levels:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.01 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.98 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 37.00 dBmv

Are these ok?

pjw77uk1
08-03-2006, 16:36
One engineer is no good, two is better - but THREE network engineers finally solved the problem. It's only taken four months!

Mystical
08-03-2006, 19:43
One engineer is no good, two is better - but THREE network engineers finally solved the problem. It's only taken four months!

:shocked:

Mystical
08-03-2006, 23:27
Update 3:

Well well well, connection just dropped off again 5 minutes ago.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.93 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.78 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 36.00 dBmv

Seems like lots of other users are experiencing the same, but this attenuator garbage is not fixing it.

Thats twice I have been installed attenuator's... on my next call to TS what should I say, supply me a new modem?

:dozey:

pjw77uk1
09-03-2006, 13:16
Update 3:
Thats twice I have been installed attenuator's... on my next call to TS what should I say, supply me a new modem?

:dozey:
Although I'm on a 2 Mb service via a STB I can only suggest that the next time an engineer calls and can't find anything wrong with your kit that you ask him/her if it could be a network problem - in other words it's their kit that's playing about.

If your gear is connected and working when the engineer turns then he/she won't see a fault, it's only when it's thrown its legs in the air does a fault show up on the network at the box in the street (apparently). In my case there was more than one fault covering some 10 or 11 cabinets between me and the local UBR, which is one reason it took so loong to sort out.

Mystical
09-03-2006, 21:39
Although I'm on a 2 Mb service via a STB I can only suggest that the next time an engineer calls and can't find anything wrong with your kit that you ask him/her if it could be a network problem - in other words it's their kit that's playing about.

If your gear is connected and working when the engineer turns then he/she won't see a fault, it's only when it's thrown its legs in the air does a fault show up on the network at the box in the street (apparently). In my case there was more than one fault covering some 10 or 11 cabinets between me and the local UBR, which is one reason it took so loong to sort out.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind for tomorrow! :)

Update 4:

Same problems occuring with this "non faulty" 15db attenuator, called TS again today, "network engineer" meant to be coming tomorrow afternoon.

Will update on any progress

Mystical
10-03-2006, 16:04
Update 5:

Third engineer has been and gone. He took off the 15db attenuator and replaced it with a 10db attenuator and a 4db cable simulator.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.12 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.35 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 36.00 dBmv

Levels look more like they should now, so hopefully it will stay working!

pjw77uk1
10-03-2006, 16:27
Was it working when the engineer arrived? If it was then they just seem to try and cure the symptoms rather than the cause. Best of luck anyway.

Mystical
10-03-2006, 16:45
Was it working when the engineer arrived? If it was then they just seem to try and cure the symptoms rather than the cause. Best of luck anyway.

Yeah this time it was working when they arrived, but the first two times it wasn't.

The downstream signal level looks better though now, so I'm hoping for the best, otherwise bring on engineer number 4 :p:

Mystical
11-03-2006, 16:15
Right this is bloody ****ing me off :dozey:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.84 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.51 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 61.00 dBmv

Whenever the problem happens it seems like the upstream transmit power level skyrocket's

And then when it fixes it comes back down

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.31 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.41 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 35.50 dBmv

I have already had 3 NTL "engineers" visit me and they have all used attenuators and cable simulators to try and fix the problem but obviously they have no clue.

I have called NTL again today, spoke to someone in the Indian call centre and they were really pleasent and actually apologised for NTL's lack of service in fixing their own equipment. They have booked my forth NTL engineer for Monday and wrote notes for the modem to be replaced and the green box to be examined rather than fiddling me around with these signal boosters.

So, Monday it is for engineer number 4 :dozey: :p:

Mystical
12-03-2006, 21:57
Anyone with any comments on the problems I am encountering?

The service was completely dead for me for nearly the whole day!!!

I want to grill the engineer that comes tomorrow :(

magpie03
12-03-2006, 22:19
My connection is on and off, and has been for the past week at least - pages that I can view suddenly can't be viewed.
It's not a router issue (did a modem to PC check and still had the problems).
Elsewhere on this forum there are reports of problems at ntl's end. Mention that to the engineer (he might not have been told!!)

Mystical
13-03-2006, 22:45
magpie03: thanks, i will mention it to the engineer (going to try and get the modem replaced and get them to fix the green box rather than fiddle around with signal boosters)

Update for today:

YAY, ntl somehow sent my details to an engineer in Manchester (im in London WTF).

So now they are meant to come tomorrow morning 8am - 1pm

I had another fun filled day of useless internet :dozey:

Does ntl management consist of :monkey:'s ? :p:

Mystical
14-03-2006, 10:58
Next update:

4th engineer been and gone. I've simply had enough of ntl now. Their own engineers are useless.

All the guy did was take the cable simulator off and leave the 10db attenuator and said there you go, fixed. I did that myself one day :dozey:

No mention at all about the green box on the street. Then before he left he said if it happens again they will replace the modem.

I can feel engineer 5 coming soon :mad:

Can any ntl employee please help me here? The engineer is supposed to swap the modem and fix the green box (something about a return path...), thats what TS told me.

Mystical
14-03-2006, 17:09
Another update:

Internet died again shortly after engineer left at 12.00 and just came back online now.

Called TS, and basically flamed them about the service and the guy told me there is a problem in the IG6 area and the service is over-utilised. He told me 1000 customers are affected and all the green boxes need updating and some cables need relaying.

So now what am I meant to do? He also said this was reported sometime last year as the first ticket.

Looks like ntl don't give a monkeys about their customers then, leaving 1000 customers in my area with useless internet.

Engineer 5 coming tomorrow, going to grill the guy that comes too. All in all looks like I am going to have to leave the service and no one will tell me whats going on.

:dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey:

Mystical
14-03-2006, 19:17
someone help me please :(

Mystical
15-03-2006, 10:38
Next update:

5th engineer has been and gone. This engineer asked me what speed I'm on (10mbit), and told me the modem needs replacing. He went to his van got the modem (blue 250), plugged it all in and then registered it. Within 10 minutes I was back online hopefully to stay!

Very pleasent engineer :)

I just hope I don't have anymore of these intermittent but sometimes lengthy cutouts!

Mystical
15-03-2006, 11:07
The problem is still occuring after the modem swap.

Here is an error log:

First Time Last Time Counts Level ID Text

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical(3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 8 Critical(3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical(3) 82000700 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC

Time Not Established Time Not Established 8 Critical(3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical(3) 82000700 Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC

Time Not Established Time Not Established 4 Critical(3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 4 Critical(3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 12 Critical(3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Whenever it happens the modem seems to loose lock on the upstream band and the db shoots up to 61db. Does this mean that there is a component faulty in the street cabinets?

I have my sixth engineer visit tomorrow. I really want to know what to say to them otherwise they will come and check the signal level inside and most times when they come it is ok... so they just replace the attenuator and leave.

I am afraid I am reaching the end of the road with the engineer visits, so if it's not resolved soon I guess I will have to leave the service. Shame as I loved the speeds and reliability up till 2 1/2 weeks ago. (been with ntl cable broadband for about 7 years)

Any ntl employees around to help? :)

KevAmiga
15-03-2006, 11:10
Show them the log mate, see what they say.

Mystical
15-03-2006, 11:15
Show them the log mate, see what they say.

Ok mate, will do, cheers! Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

KevAmiga
15-03-2006, 11:25
loose lock on the upstream band

Possibly an upstream issue?

Mystical
15-03-2006, 12:16
Possibly an upstream issue?

Ok mate will mention it to the engineer. Would an upstream issue be linked to something wrong in the green cabinets?

cjgurluk
15-03-2006, 13:18
Ok mate will mention it to the engineer. Would an upstream issue be linked to something wrong in the green cabinets?

Hi mystical, im in IG10 and had exactly the same problem you been saying about. It was fixed by them replacing the compenents i said before in the green cabinet. I have been without one cut off since they did it. I only got that done though when they they said they upgraded it from normal engineers to network engineers. Hope you get it all sorted anyway i know how annoying it is, good luck!

Mystical
15-03-2006, 13:29
Hi mystical, im in IG10 and had exactly the same problem you been saying about. It was fixed by them replacing the compenents i said before in the green cabinet. I have been without one cut off since they did it. I only got that done though when they they said they upgraded it from normal engineers to network engineers. Hope you get it all sorted anyway i know how annoying it is, good luck!

Many thanks for the reply cjgurluk :)

I see you mention it was a network engineer who fixed the problem in the cabinet.. I'm pretty sure ntl have not said anything to me about a network engineer so keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

But it does look promising since you had the exact same problems and got them fixed. Going to show them the log file from the modem tomorrow, and this thread :)

cjgurluk
15-03-2006, 13:36
Many thanks for the reply cjgurluk :)

I see you mention it was a network engineer who fixed the problem in the cabinet.. I'm pretty sure ntl have not said anything to me about a network engineer so keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

But it does look promising since you had the exact same problems and got them fixed. Going to show them the log file from the modem tomorrow, and this thread :)

Thats okay, i thought id say what happened with mine coz i was so annoyed with it at the time and didnt get much info about how to fix it. They kept sending engineers to us who replaced just about everything bar the kitchen sink, and we still had it cutting off every few mins. Upon threatening to leave if they didnt fix it they said they had eliminated any problem with our equipment and it was a network fault, and they changed the bits in the green cabinet. I also found out since then a lady 7 doors up from us had the same problems, and hers is fixed now too. Ours was identical to what you have, even with the power level jumping to 60 odd when it cuts out and identical T3 time outs. Good luck!!

Mystical
15-03-2006, 14:13
Thanks cjgurluk, this will all help me prove to ntl it is their network equipment at fault :)

Mystical
17-03-2006, 21:10
Time for an update, after having no internet for 1 1/2 days :p:

Had engineer visit on 16/03/06: Engineer simply came out, knew about my problems since I've had him once before. I told him about this thread and the identical problems experienced and he said he would contact faults to get a network engineer out to replace the parts in the cabinet.

17/03/06: Not knowing whether he had done this or not, I called ntl first thing in the morning and told them about this (UK call centre). TS said that he did not raise a call but put the notes on file. With this information TS booked a network engineer for tomorrow (sat) morning.

17/03/06 (1pm): ntl called me on my mobile and told me about the problems in the cabinet and said a network engineer had replaced the faulty parts and asked me if my internet was ok now. (was not at home so said to call back 7pm)

17/03/06 (7pm - 7.45pm) - no call

17/03/06 (7.45pm) - called TS and said that the internet was now working fine and to cancel network engineer but leave notes incase it breaks again.

As long as the information I received was correct about the faulty parts being replaced, looks like my internet is back to normal :)

Took 3 weeks to sort out and I hope it remains fixed!

Got 3 months half price due to all the hassle too :tu:

Also, many thanks cjgurluk :tu::tu:

cjgurluk
17-03-2006, 23:27
Time for an update, after having no internet for 1 1/2 days :p:

Had engineer visit on 16/03/06: Engineer simply came out, knew about my problems since I've had him once before. I told him about this thread and the identical problems experienced and he said he would contact faults to get a network engineer out to replace the parts in the cabinet.

17/03/06: Not knowing whether he had done this or not, I called ntl first thing in the morning and told them about this (UK call centre). TS said that he did not raise a call but put the notes on file. With this information TS booked a network engineer for tomorrow (sat) morning.

17/03/06 (1pm): ntl called me on my mobile and told me about the problems in the cabinet and said a network engineer had replaced the faulty parts and asked me if my internet was ok now. (was not at home so said to call back 7pm)

17/03/06 (7pm - 7.45pm) - no call

17/03/06 (7.45pm) - called TS and said that the internet was now working fine and to cancel network engineer but leave notes incase it breaks again.

As long as the information I received was correct about the faulty parts being replaced, looks like my internet is back to normal :)

Took 3 weeks to sort out and I hope it remains fixed!

Got 3 months half price due to all the hassle too :tu:

Also, many thanks cjgurluk :tu::tu:

Hi there Mystical, you're very welcome, great news you seem to have it sorted out now. It also took me about 3 weeks to get it fixed.

Good to hear you got a price cut too, i didnt get anything!! apart from high blood pressure and phone bill!

darrencftse
27-04-2006, 20:33
Hi

Im having the same problem of the ready light flashing and losing connection, i was wondering has your connection been ok since the faulty parts been replaced, this will give me something to work with when i give NTL a call regarding the problem, and hopefully a simple problem won't take too long to fix.

Darren