PDA

View Full Version : Blueyonder speed 10MB what do U get?!

the-sacred
24-02-2006, 20:39
Dear all

I am new to the forums, this is my 2nd post.
I am contemplating buying the blueyonder 10MB service from TW. I am now with Bulldog 8MB but the max I achieve in terms of download speed is 4MB.

Since I will be soon leaving Sky for TW's TVDRIVE, I am thinking of leaving Bulldog's 8MB for TW's 10Mb, but I was just wondering what to expect in terms of download speed with them?

So if you people did some speedtests, would you let me know what to expect? BTW I am in the TW7 (Isleworth area)

Many thanks

Ignition
24-02-2006, 22:52
Haven't seen any complaints here from the London area they mostly focus on the North of the country, apart from Plymouth. (I am in the saaf so reserve the right to call the Midlands the 'north' :p:

Speaking to a friend who's in your kind of area he reports very few speed problems at all, he gets 8Mbit or more most of the time and doesn't go below 7Mbit or so in peak times.

the-sacred
25-02-2006, 11:05
This is encouraging. My Bulldog "8 MB speed" service is crap:td: I never get anything above 4MB (peak or otherwise) . My options are to go cable throughTelewest 10MB or wait till end of March when BT has the Isleworth exchange 8MB enabled, then I can have a choice between a good selection of ISPs via ADSL. By the look of it, TW can supply excellent package (TV Drive, phone and fast 10MB internet).

I will wait just a couple of weeks reading posts on this informative forums and till any teething issues are resolved on the TVdrive and the 10MB service.

picapau
12-03-2006, 04:06
i'm with telewest and i'm on 2 Mbps and all i'm getting is 200 to 300 Kbps most of the time and i live in NW1 Camden Town (London), and i was getting the same speeds a few days back when i was still on 4 Mbps...
in other words, with telewest, in some areas, it DON'T matter what speed (speed, NOT monthly download/upload volumes !) your modem is capped at, ie 2, 4 or 10 Mbps, all you'll get is ridiculously low speeds, the same speeds whether you are on 2, 4 or 10 Mbps !!!!!!
so, if you already get 4 Mbps on a 8 Mbps with bulldog, i'd stick with what i've got (in your case, bulldog) if i were you !!!!!!

space
16-03-2006, 20:45
I'm in kent with the 10 meg connection.. Before, when they had me on the wrong modem for months, I wasn't getting anything about 3 or 4 meg.

Now I have the right kit I regularly get 8meg sustained. Dropping to maybe 7 during peak.

jdh2805
19-03-2006, 12:11
When in London, I am based in Islington, North London and have a TeleWest 10 Mb broadband connection, TeleWest SB4100 cable modem and a Netgear WGR614v2 4 port wireless router attached. All this equipment is over 2 years old now.

My ethernet connected desktop downloads regularly at 8 to 12 Mb and my wireless laptops show download speeds of between 6 to 8 Mb.

When I spoke to TeleWest Technical Services, I was informed that the choice of router can have an impact on the speed. It is worth trying to connect your PC direct to the cable modem via ethernet and running a speed test. If you then reconnect your router and reboot, you can rerun the speed test to see if your router is causing a drop in speed.

Graham M
19-03-2006, 14:58
What a lovely post colour, didnt bother reading it as it hurt my eyes :(

Le Perce
27-03-2006, 18:01
I have telwest elite services, can achieve anything upto 1024KB/s normally around 500-800 KB/s. Reliable service as well and the most important thing is no download limitations like all the other services!!!!

EYEZ
27-03-2006, 21:58
Downstream9163 Kbps (1,145.4 KB/sec)9896 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream367 Kbps (45.9 KB/sec)396 Kbps (inc. overheads)

scotishhaggis
05-04-2006, 17:37
well mines ranges for 300k on a good day to about 40k on a bad day. Call tech support all they can say is its due to "Hi Utilsation" so i ask the guy what the conttion ration on BY " emmmm i dont know" asked a few times i am getting fed up with BY now

chocky909
07-04-2006, 15:29
...2 years old...

Pretty much :dozey:

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Seems to me that this whole 'Up To 10Mb' speed thing is a real lottery. Unfortunately, it's exactly this which is keeping me on my 2Mb connection (NTL).

How any other kind of provider could get away with selling a massively variable product for the same price to everyone regardless of quality and performance, I don't know. Imagine if you bought a box of cornflakes, to find it was only half full when you get it home. Not only that but you can't take it back to the shop for 12 months!
:p:
If they'd give me a day's trial to check the speeds at 10Mb tier, then I might be tempted, but I'm not paying 50% extra for what possibly might be the same speeds I'm getting now.

volatile
08-04-2006, 13:05
Downstream 9051 Kbps (1,131.4 KB/sec) 9775 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 363 Kbps (45.4 KB/sec) 392 Kbps (inc. overheads)

J.D
03-05-2006, 06:52
I get 1260Kb/s Downstream and 45Kb/s upstream.

Somedays at peak times I drop a little but it only effects me for 2 hours between 6pm and 8pm and it's not every night. More like 2 - 3 days a week if even that.

I've not been using my bandwidth at all recently to check speeds but my online gaming experiences between these times have been perfect. Maybe it was just for a little while because of the upgrades being completed elsewhere or something as It was slow quite a lot at peak times after it just got upgraded to the mighty 10meg.

doufas
15-05-2006, 21:53
I get a smacking 9.5MBps. ;)