PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get NTL dial-up from a BT line?

buglawton
22-02-2006, 13:10
I retain a BT line so I can use dial-up whenever the cable broadband from NTL is down, like today.

Can use this via PAYG providers to collect email from NTL, no problem.

But cannot send, as smtp server is wrong. Don't want to alter the email setup as my not so technical wife is using it daily. What I DO want is access from my BT line to NTL dial up internet during broadband downtime.

Is anything available / being considered? Such a service would ameliorate the broadband down issue a GREAT DEAL!

Derek
22-02-2006, 13:16
:notopic: How often is your broadband down :confused:

If its not working that often I'd get an engineer out instead of accepting it.

But back on topic can you not use the webmail service to check/send messages if the broadband isn't working.

Chris
22-02-2006, 13:18
NTL are not taking any new customers for 'Freedom' ADSL and it looks like they aren't taking them for dial-up either. They do however own Virgin.net which does dial-up and ADSL over BT lines. They push Virgin.net from their website but only after you put an off-net postcode into the checker.

If you are dead set on using NTL for dial up, you can sign up at www.virgin.net. Once it gets out of the BT network, the service runs entirely on NTL's infrastructure, right down to the poxy proxy servers, so I believe you should be able to get round the SMTP 'relaying' restrictions you have been experiencing. I can't guarantee that though, so I'd hang on in here for someone with better technical knowledge of NTL systems to advise further.

buglawton
22-02-2006, 16:38
Good call I will try virgin.net - before NTL swallows them and cuts off BT dial-up connections!

(Using webmail is highly unsatisfactory as it's for small biz not casual use).

buglawton
23-02-2006, 21:58
Eurika!
Tested PAYG virgin.net and it works as a way of sending email out via dial-up when NTL broadband is down!

Thanks Chris T

Chris W
25-02-2006, 21:32
Good call I will try virgin.net - before NTL swallows them and cuts off BT dial-up connections!

ntl have already swallowed virgin.net ;) ntl freedom was abolished in favour of virgin when ntl gained full ownership.

Graham M
25-02-2006, 22:21

Do you have a Business Broadband Connection?