PDA

View Full Version : VPN Tunnel?

circlestech
21-02-2006, 21:40
Hello,

I'm running a Symantec 360R Gateway Firewall for my 10mb ntl connection. My friend has a Symantec Raptor 1300 and he's also on 10mb, Now we want to setup a VPN tunnel between our Firewalls. Will NTL allow me to do this?

Thanks

garethdphillips
21-02-2006, 21:57
I may be new to NTL, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes you can. They wont stop you doing anything like that. No easy way they could even if they wanted to.

Assuming the two devices supprt this type of VPN connection (like the EzVPN feature of Cisco) i.e one as the client, the other as the server, and you have considered the fact that your IP addresses are dynamic then you should be fine. as long as you have IP connectivity between the two sites, then you should be able to bring the tunnel up.

Chris
22-02-2006, 10:29
NTL will allow you to set up a VPN, provided your use of it does not unduly affect other users' service (in other words, remember the AUP applies!). However they do not support it, so they won't help you out if you can't make it work.

circlestech
22-02-2006, 12:20
Hello,
It's just something i have never done before. The firewall cost me a few bob so i want to make the full use of it. Same for my mate who's a network administrator. I'm thinking about going onto the 2mb service because then i would have unlimited bandwidth? Would this be a better way of doing it?

Thanks
Ben

garethdphillips
22-02-2006, 12:41
It will be better in that you will have a higher upload speed. The problem with the VPN tunnel will be that it will only really provide a speed equal to the slowest part of the link from one router to the other. Your upload is the bottlekneck here at 12Kbps (100Kb). This means the VPN tunnel will effectivly run at this speed.

If you increase your link to 2MB, your upload is doubled to 24Kbps (200Kb) I believe. This will give you more bandwidth along the tunnel (unless there is a furhthur botthkneck at the other end)

However it is worth noting that all NTL products are no unlimted, there are no usage limits on any.

Graham M
22-02-2006, 13:19
It will be better in that you will have a higher upload speed. The problem with the VPN tunnel will be that it will only really provide a speed equal to the slowest part of the link from one router to the other. Your upload is the bottlekneck here at 12Kbps (100Kb). This means the VPN tunnel will effectivly run at this speed.

If you increase your link to 2MB, your upload is doubled to 24Kbps (200Kb) I believe. This will give you more bandwidth along the tunnel (unless there is a furhthur botthkneck at the other end)

However it is worth noting that all NTL products are no unlimted, there are no usage limits on any.

Read again mate, he's talking about DOWNgrading from 10MBit to 2. And 1 and 2MBit NTL Products are unlimited now.

garethdphillips
22-02-2006, 13:32
Read again mate, he's talking about DOWNgrading from 10MBit to 2. And 1 and 2MBit NTL Products are unlimited now.

Sorry - cant read !

EssDee
23-02-2006, 00:18
I have a VPN connection to my office via my 2MB ntl and it works great.

Cheers

EssDee

hammered
23-02-2006, 14:27
No problems with my VPN either... Just go ahead and set it up... :)

circlestech
23-02-2006, 18:03
Hello,

Is the symantec gateway 360r a good firewall to use or should i buy something else?

Thanks