PDA

View Full Version : IP Address Question

medw1974
20-02-2006, 16:22
One for the techies out there,

How many people share the same ip address - the reason I ask is that I was just browsing the who's online section on my vbulletin powered forum and noticed that a new member has the exact same IP as my self (62.252.xxx.xx).

It is totally identical right down to the final .xx - is this normal and just a coincedence that someone geographically very close to me has joined or is it something to be wary of?

Thanks in advance.

ScaredWebWarrior
20-02-2006, 16:28
One for the techies out there,

How many people share the same ip address - the reason I ask is that I was just browsing the who's online section on my vbulletin powered forum and noticed that a new member has the exact same IP as my self (62.252.xxx.xx).

It is totally identical right down to the final .xx - is this normal and just a coincedence that someone geographically very close to me has joined or is it something to be wary of?Any number of people could share the same IP address - if they're coming through a proxy, then as far as you're concerned they're all the same IP address.

For example, NTL operate loads of proxies, meaning that it is all but impossible to tell Internet users apart by IP address.

medw1974
20-02-2006, 16:32
Thanks - I wondered if it may be something like that as the IP in question resolves as leed-cache-9.server.ntli.net.

That does surprise me though as I thought everyone had unique IP's just so they could be traced.

You learn something new everyday.

homealone
20-02-2006, 16:35
I wouldn't be surprised if that is a proxy server IP

- ah beaten to it, but Paul M posted a piece of code that can be added to a vBulletin installation to 'drill down' to the actual IP, a while ago. if I remember I'll have a look when I get home.

ScaredWebWarrior
20-02-2006, 16:38
Thanks - I wondered if it may be something like that as the IP in question resolves as leed-cache-9.server.ntli.net.Looks like a NTL customer.
That does surprise me though as I thought everyone had unique IP's just so they could be traced.No - but you do have a unique WAN address.
You learn something new everyday.Like the fact you're probably from Leeds or thereabouts :)

medw1974
20-02-2006, 16:38
Thanks homealone - that would be very useful.

Another question that springs to mind is that I run google adsense on my forum, if this user clicks on an ad are google going to think it's me clicking my own ads?

ScaredWebWarrior
20-02-2006, 16:40

Another question that springs to mind is that I run google adsense on my forum, if this user clicks on an ad are google going to think it's me clicking my own ads?No, because that's all done through cookies, which tie back to your computer.

medw1974
20-02-2006, 16:46
No, because that's all done through cookies, which tie back to your computer.

Ah, that should be Ok then, I've just emailed google anyway to see what there take on it is.

Thanks for your advice :)

AbyssUnderground
20-02-2006, 17:44
If you go to www.abyssunderground.co.uk/ip it shows you your real IP and your proxy IP if you are behind one.

nemesis01
20-02-2006, 20:04
if I remember I'll have a look when I get home.

please yes, i run vbulletin and frequently ban members, be useful to ban the specific ip and not just a proxy address. :)

homealone
20-02-2006, 20:13
if I remember I'll have a look when I get home.

please yes, i run vbulletin and frequently ban members, be useful to ban the specific ip and not just a proxy address. :)

ok, I found it - but bear in mind this is Paul M's work, so please comply with his request for feedback (or even beer money :) )

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95198#top

:)

Toto
20-02-2006, 20:54

Another question that springs to mind is that I run google adsense on my forum, if this user clicks on an ad are google going to think it's me clicking my own ads?

Actually, and sadly, google do not capture IP's correctly, and you may see a number of ntl proxy servers in the log. To prove a point try posting in Google News, your IP address will be ntl's local proxy or the one you have specified in your browser. They may have updated their caching script though, so I may not be 100% correct.

ian@huth
21-02-2006, 13:33
The "Connection" tab at the top of this page shows both your true IP and your proxies IP.