PDA

View Full Version : [What Is] A 4db Forward path equalizer

neo123
18-02-2006, 23:38
I had one of these fitted ages ago after my signal levels got bumped up. What does it do exactly, and what were to happen if i removed it??

SLM
18-02-2006, 23:48
It means your analogue part of you signal is to high. You can get different kinds and values that do different things to your incoming signal. A high signal lvl is just as bad as a low one so I would leave it alone, if you are having problems call ntl and get them to sort it.

Halcyon
19-02-2006, 00:22
Isnt that the same thing as an Attenuator ?
I have one that either reduces or ups the signal 3db. Can't remember which it is, but it makes sure my connection works properly and I dont have too high or too low.

SLM
19-02-2006, 00:29
Isnt that the same thing as an Attenuator ?
I have one that either reduces or ups the signal 3db. Can't remember which it is, but it makes sure my connection works properly and I dont have too high or too low.

A quick lesson

Attenuators adjust both digi and analogue of the incoming signal
Equalizers do the analogue only
and
cable simulators do the digi only

all 3 reduce the signal, you can increase the signal at the green street cab

so unless you have the correct equipment to measure the signal please do not touch, ring ntl if you have problems.

Halcyon
19-02-2006, 00:35
That cleared that up then. Thanks for that info.

SLM
19-02-2006, 00:42
That cleared that up then. Thanks for that info.

:tu:

handyman
19-02-2006, 01:56
AFAIK the cable signal requires a set length of cable to 'settle down' if your too close to the cable then they add cable simulators to make up for the shortness.

hmm where is my folder on jelly beans???

Ignition
19-02-2006, 08:25
A quick lesson

Attenuators adjust both digi and analogue of the incoming signal
Equalizers do the analogue only
and
cable simulators do the digi only

all 3 reduce the signal, you can increase the signal at the green street cab

so unless you have the correct equipment to measure the signal please do not touch, ring ntl if you have problems.

What he said, there should be a 'slope' on the overall incoming signal, attenuators lower the whole lot, equalizers and cable simulators adjust the slope in different bits of the spectrum.

---------- Post added at 08:25 ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 ----------

AFAIK the cable signal requires a set length of cable to 'settle down' if your too close to the cable then they add cable simulators to make up for the shortness.

hmm where is my folder on jelly beans???

It's next to your folder on making things up based on their name.