PDA

View Full Version : IP address when using Remote admin software

sjguk
18-02-2006, 20:59
Hello forum,

I really hope someone can assist me.

I am trying to take control of my friends pc who is connected to the internet via NTL broadband.

I have installed Remote Administrator on the pc but cannot connect to his pc.

I have got the ip address of the pc via ipconfig command and also using websites. The ip address retrieved is always the same, i cannot connect to this at all.

Ive tried to find out what might me the issue and im thinking its something to do with the pc being behind an NTL proxy, and thus im not able to see the pcs ip address over the internet.

Can anyone please confirm if this might be the issue, and does anyone know if it is actually possible to do what im trying to do when my friend pc is using NTL broadband?

many thanks
Stuart

Paul
18-02-2006, 21:26
Without some clue as to the ip address, it's hard to say - please post the first three bits (like 62.13.24.xxx) I/we should be able to tell from that. Also, what remote control software are you trying to use ?

sjguk
18-02-2006, 21:37
Ok thanks... i'll get the ip address of the pc tomorrow,
also the software is actually called 'remote Administrator 2.1' - www.radmin.com (http://www.radmin.com)

Thanks
Stuart

Paul K
18-02-2006, 22:27
You have of course eliminated firewalls from the equation before blaming proxies??

Stuart
18-02-2006, 22:36
If configured correctly, Proxies should not interfere with remote control connections (assuming they don't go through port 80).

Paul
19-02-2006, 00:04
Looking at the site, it uses port 4899 so there is no reason it won't work - if setup correctly - and no firewall software [on the pc's] is getting in the way.

punky
19-02-2006, 00:07
Also, he's not using a router is he?

If he is, you have to forward connections on that port to the IP of the machine he's using on his network.