PDA

View Full Version : broadband alternatives

funklectic
17-02-2006, 09:08
as an ntl phone customer, are there any other isp's i can try apart from ntl?

Gareth
17-02-2006, 09:17
You'd need a BT phone line for ADSL, so unless you went for something a bit less mainstream like satellite or broadband over powerlines (or pigeon enabled internet (http://www.notes.co.il/benbasat/5240.asp) :D ), I can't think of any that you could use.

Chris
17-02-2006, 09:49
I have moved this thread to 'Other ISPs' discussion, seeing as that's what you're looking for.

However unfortunately for you, the answer is no. NTL phone lines can't do ADSL. If you want that, you need to get a BT phone line.

Your only alternative is to get AOL via cable broadband.

funklectic
17-02-2006, 11:39
thanks for the reply. i actually am already an ntl broadband customer. i just wanted to know what my options were once my contract was up. i used to have a pipex account via a bt line but changed to ntl to save money. again, thanx for the replys

Acropolis
22-02-2006, 23:40
You could always go for a satelite broadband system, lower conntention ratio, probably work out a lot faster as well as there are not that many people using the bandwidth, only problem it costs a small fortune each month, at least £200 for a 1/2 mb connection.

Chris
23-02-2006, 07:47
You could always go for a satelite broadband system, lower conntention ratio, probably work out a lot faster as well as there are not that many people using the bandwidth, only problem it costs a small fortune each month, at least £200 for a 1/2 mb connection.

You can get 'one way' satellite that will work off a Sky minidish, which uses a dialup account for the upstream. That is more cost effective, but still probably about £50 a month as you have to pay for a dial up account as well as the satellite.

And sat BB is not reputedly any good for online gaming because it has high latency.