PDA

View Full Version : Logistics improvement

th'engineer
18-11-2003, 10:13
While looking round many threads on various sites. One of the main complaints about the company seems to relate to getting the bits and pieces to the customer.

I know a lot of companies involved in logistics, would it not be a better idea if NTL sub-contract there logistics to another company.

We hear of no STBs in certain areas, cable modems taking weeks to get to the customer. PIN documentation not arriving on time for install.

Any views on this subject

poolking
18-11-2003, 12:47
Never had problems myself, but I think it would be a great idea.

So what is actually causing these problems?

The only thing I could think of is the parts are not coming from a central warehouse.

Escapee
18-11-2003, 12:47
While looking round many threads on various sites. One of the main complaints about the company seems to relate to getting the bits and pieces to the customer.

I know a lot of companies involved in logistics, would it not be a better idea if NTL sub-contract there logistics to another company.

We hear of no STBs in certain areas, cable modems taking weeks to get to the customer. PIN documentation not arriving on time for install.

Any views on this subject

I understood that in my local region many of the problems suffered now are down to the simple fact that they closed the stores and outsourced to another company instead of carrying it out in-house. Gone are the days where the local guys could walk into the stores and pick up set-tops etc in an emergency, I can appreciate how difficult it is because very often it was a case of walking around the stores to find what you needed when it came to network/headend equipment because the stores people only recognised part numbers from a list that had descriptions typed by people who didn't actually know what th equipment was for.

Hence descriptions for items were not very good!

I also wonder if newly purchased set-top shortage is partly due to the cash shortage being suffered whilst they tighten their belts to please the shareholders.

I dont think Logistics will help their problems that much, skills shortage is the biggest problem. :naughty:

th'engineer
18-11-2003, 13:10
If its already outsourced it must be badly managed people not getting the right bits. you would think NTL would manage it properley

Escapee
18-11-2003, 18:07
If its already outsourced it must be badly managed people not getting the right bits. you would think NTL would manage it properley

Why would you think that! :D

I expect the refurbished (Ha Ha) set-tops are not being turned around quick enough, one of the tech's that I have known for a while was permanently on disconnections a couple of weeks ago. I asked how much work he had, and he said plenty of customers disconnecting and only a small number of install crews were actually working in the region.

I will let you draw your own conclusions from that one!

I know there have been issues again where the techs have to take a couple of the refurbished boxes into a customers house until they find one that will work. Unfortunately thats what happens when refurb involves a quick flick through the channels and a wipe over with a damp cloth. :o

th'engineer
19-11-2003, 10:12
Must agree withthat i know of a few customers that are downgrading their package to the minimum.

And Sky are selling in most shopping centres round here, even found them in woolworths at bolton big W

I have had all the literature from BT & Sky the offers are good so can not fault anyone who moves to SKY