PDA

View Full Version : Cigarrette & Booze Prices

peachey
18-11-2003, 11:10
Charging high prices in shops in the uk actively encourages smuglers - its like the Volstead act in the USA and AL Capone

the government should come to its senses and lower the duty
on booze & cigs immediately

anyway - if we are in a free market - why can't you go to france and buy as many as you want - even if you are containering them in

still - at least with the smuggled varieties you don't have to put up with the increasingly daft slogans on the packets

saw one the other day "DON'T DO IT YOU PRAT!" - or something similar

Russ
18-11-2003, 11:42
anyway - if we are in a free market - why can't you go to france and buy as many as you want - even if you are containering them in

Because neccessary to this country's economy is a silly little thing called TAX, and a massive wedge of it comes from alcohol and cigarette duty.

gary_580
18-11-2003, 11:52
Because neccessary to this country's economy is a silly little thing called TAX, and a massive wedge of it comes from alcohol and cigarette duty.

You cant have a proper free market unless you have common taxes, benefits, asylum seekers (ouch!!) etc for each country in the free market.

Defiant
18-11-2003, 12:06
You cant have a proper free market unless you have common taxes, benefits, asylum seekers (ouch!!) etc for each country in the free market.

One of the many reason's so many people don't agree with the EU super state. Its a load og b@llocks.

This country is supposed to be what the forth richest in the world. What would it be if the people were not forced to pay as much in taxe's!

gary_580
18-11-2003, 12:16
Yes, this country is SUPPOSED to be the 4th richest, thats why we pay high taxes on goods and our jobs go overseas for cheaper labour!!

peachey
18-11-2003, 12:18
a packet of fags is now over 8 times the price as they are in czechozlovakia

once again we seethe customs men zooming in on soft targets

it's the import version of the speed camera

Defiant
18-11-2003, 12:30

It still amaze's me how they can find all this booze and cigs yep miss a truck load of immigrants lol

peachey
18-11-2003, 12:36
It still amaze's me how they can find all this booze and cigs yep miss a truck load of immigrants lol

probably cos the buyers and sellers of fags & booze have money
and stuff that can be confiscated and sold on

where as the immigrants have nothing

Bifta
18-11-2003, 12:40
I used to buy fags from Donegal, about 2 minutes away, now they're like 6 Euro a pack it's easier to walk up the town and buy a few packs of smuggled "Spanish" fags at £3.50 a pack, nobody I know that smokes will pay the normal price for a packet (unless they're caught short)

Ramrod
18-11-2003, 12:50
I brew my own pilsner. 100 pints for about £20:D .

peachey
18-11-2003, 12:54
I brew my own pilsner. 100 pints for about £20:D .

it's bit like the rail analogy

less people use the trains = put up the prices to cover it

my advice = never ask an accountant or a banker for practical advice
as they seem to know nothing

the goverment would be better off employing a market trader or barrow boy - as they have a better grasp of core level economics and are not bent and corrupt by all the lobbying they do - (the MPs etc etc)

orangebird
18-11-2003, 13:31

Just being a bit picky here, by Czechozlovakia doesn't exist....

It's now the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Slight pedanticx, but if you're talking to a Czech, they'd be mighty offended....

peachey
18-11-2003, 13:34
Just being a bit picky here, by Czechozlovakia doesn't exist....

It's now the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Slight pedanticx, but if you're talking to a Czech, they'd be mighty offended....

ok point taken

but the area formally known as that then

Atomic22
18-11-2003, 19:07
booze is nearly as cheap in asda as it is in france so it aint worth the hassle and also asda home brand "french biere" tastes nicer than smuggled stuff.......
and as for fags and baccy......the government should double the tax on fags and reduce the tax on petrol

paulyoung666
18-11-2003, 19:34
booze is nearly as cheap in asda as it is in france so it aint worth the hassle and also asda home brand "french biere" tastes nicer than smuggled stuff.......
and as for fags and baccy......the government should double the tax on fags and reduce the tax on petrol

because YOU dont smoke eh , i must agree about the asda beer though its spot on for the price ;)

Atomic22
18-11-2003, 19:55
hehehe i used to smoke many up till 6 years ago.....
i moan about petrol being 4 quid a gallon but beer in my local pub is 2.50 a pint which makes it 20 quid a gallon.....
beer prolly costs a tiny amount to make compared to petrol

paulyoung666
18-11-2003, 20:01
hehehe i used to smoke many up till 6 years ago.....
i moan about petrol being 4 quid a gallon but beer in my local pub is 2.50 a pint which makes it 20 quid a gallon.....
beer prolly costs a tiny amount to make compared to petrol

crazy aint it , i reckon i might just have a go at home brew , dont know about growing baccy though :dozey: