PDA

View Full Version : Version 2 of the Latest Cable Modem?

Waza04
15-02-2006, 22:10
Hello Guys,
OK - Ever since the Telewest 10MB upgrade, I have never been able to get a speed of over 200k during peak time (Wigan); numerous calls to tech. support got me my modem replaced.

The white WebStar (cant remember the model) to a black WebStar EPC2100.

Just as I expected, this didnt fix the problem - if its only happening during peak times, obviously its a network issue.

Anyway, today after a call to tech. support, I got the response:

"the new modem you have been given is an old version 1, you need a version 2 - we will send out an engineer to replace it as the version 1 modem can not work at 10mb speeds"

1) I thought the black WebStar EPC2100 was brand spanking new, how can it have two versions already?

2) If my "version 1" modem cant run at 10mb speeds, why do I get them during non-peak hours (I get about 1 mb/s which is perfect).

3) Why did my very first modem (white WebStar) from 12-18 months ago also work during non-peak hours.

Any ideas? To be honest, Im sure I already know all the answers and the real reason is that their networks cannot handle the load - I just wont pay for 10MB service when I only get the speeds at stupid 'o clock.

Legally, theres nothing I can do - the terms state "up to 10MB", which is fair enough - but this is just not on.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Actually, the sticker on the modem also says:

"H/W Rev: 2.0"

Not sure whats going on :confused:

space
19-02-2006, 14:46
You lucky man,

I seem to keep running into every dimwit tech bloke at BY who doesn't know the version 1 needs replacing and won't change my modem which was the replacement for my SB3100 which ALSO wasn't working with th 10 meg connection.

Ignition
19-02-2006, 16:07
Usual gack, rather than check utilisation stats or escalate they just pull one of the usual things out of the hat and waste your time and an engineer's. It's almost certainly a utilisation issue.

At least they didn't try to claim you had spyware which only worked at peak times ;)

Waza04
19-02-2006, 16:55
At least they didn't try to claim you had spyware which only worked at peak times ;)

That is so annoying - everytime on the phone its:

"Click Start"
"Click Run"
"Type CMD"
"Click OK"
"Type netstat -a"

ARGH - I know how to run a netstat, dont patronise me!!

Any yes, spyware that operates only during peak times - thats what it is :rolleyes:

chrishoggy
20-02-2006, 16:47
:D :D :D I get that every time I phone to tell them their network is down. It's about time they had some people on the phones that know what they are talking about:Yikes:

hoofner
21-02-2006, 09:20
Waza04 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/member.php?u=15581) you're comment is so accurate!! Down to a tee.