PDA

View Full Version : NTL 10meg thru a STB is a fire hazard ?

Devious
15-02-2006, 17:56
Hello :)

To cut a long story short i had ntl's 10meg upgraded yesterday to my STB,unbeknown to me it can only take 5mb not the full 10mb so i promplty phoned them and stated that i did not want it because the speed i was getting was not what i was paying for and was told that i could get a modem installed for £50,to which i replied no chance put me back on my previous speed which they did with no hassle :P.

Today i rang them and asked to be put back upto the 10mb (sorted the finances) and was told that they are no longer doing the upgrade to 10mb on a STB beacuse it can not handle 10mb only 5mb and the extra load could turn the STB into a fire hazzard. (steve form cs).

I then asked why there was nothing about this situation on the home page of ntl and he replied he did not know.

Not to sure if he was just brushing me off but thought some 1 from this forum might be able to confirm the above situation.

thanks.

Bill C
15-02-2006, 18:04
Hello :)

To cut a long story short i had ntl's 10meg upgraded yesterday to my STB,unbeknown to me it can only take 5mb not the full 10mb so i promplty phoned them and stated that i did not want it because the speed i was getting was not what i was paying for and was told that i could get a modem installed for £50,to which i replied no chance put me back on my previous speed which they did with no hassle :P.

Today i rang them and asked to be put back upto the 10mb (sorted the finances) and was told that they are no longer doing the upgrade to 10mb on a STB beacuse it can not handle 10mb only 5mb and the extra load could turn the STB into a fire hazzard. (steve form cs).

I then asked why there was nothing about this situation on the home page of ntl and he replied he did not know.

Not to sure if he was just brushing me off but thought some 1 from this forum might be able to confirm the above situation.

thanks.

First :welcome:

Sorry but Steve from CS has told you the biggest load of bull**** i have heard in a long time.

:)

Halcyon
15-02-2006, 18:12
If these boxes were ever a fire risk they would have never been allowed to be produced.
The Internet speed does not have any reason to cause a fire at all.

dilli-theclaw
15-02-2006, 18:14
As Bill said it sounds like Steve is yanking your chain - call them back m8 and see if you get a different advisor.

edit - and welcome to the site :) :welcome::welcome::welcome:

quadplay
15-02-2006, 18:16

:Yikes: :geez: :doh:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. It can't be applied to Pace boxes (they can't handle it, and it may cause overheating which will kill the box) - but they won't burst into flames! The Samsungs can get the 10Mb config file, but as you've noted, you won't actually get 10Mb through it. It's more usually between 3 and 8Mbps.

Overall though, the best bet is to get a SACM (Stand Alone Cable Modem) installed.

Devious
15-02-2006, 18:33
k thanks for the reply's.

Just contacted them and getting it sorted now (all though i have to request the modem upgrade online on the webby) ;)

Thank again :)

Slyder
16-02-2006, 06:32

I would love to know why some people get charged different amounts and some of us lucky lot didnt have to pay a dime for a newer modem which can handle the speed. :confused: