PDA

View Full Version : Slow, Slow, Quick, Quick, Slow

3paraccoy
15-02-2006, 10:47
:confused:
ITS BEEN NEARLY TWO WEEKS, AND AFTER NEARLY THROWING THE PC OUT OF THE WINDOW, HALF A DOZEN TELEPHONE CALLS TO TECHNICAL SUPPORT, A VISIT FROM A TELEWEST ENGINEER WE ARE STILL NO CLOSER TO RESOLVING THE PROBLEM !!

WE HAVE (IN DESPERATION) THINKING WE HAD A VIRUS OR SPYWARE PROBLEM, SET OUR COMPUTER BACK TO FACTORY SETTINGS, USED ALL SORTS OF ANTI SPYWARE STUFF, WE HAVE RUN TEST AFTER TEST, TRIED TWEAKING AND CLEANING - YET WE STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM.

THEY ADVISED US ON ONE OF THE PHONE CALLS THAT OUR UTILISATION IN OUR AREA WAS REALLY LOW - AROUND 10% - AVERAGE IS AROUND 40% - SO THERE WAS NO REASON FOR A DROP IN SPEED. THEY ALSO HAD US DOING PING TESTS AND THEY WERE NORMAL TOO ??

ENGINEER HAS JUST LEFT AND COULDNT FIND A PROBLEM EITHER - BUT DID SAY THAT THEY WERE CURRENTLY UPGRADING SERVICE BUT SAID IT SHOULDNT CAUSE PROBLEMS BUT ALSO MENTIONED THEY HAD RECIEVED A NUMBER OF QUERIES WITH SIMILIAR ISSUES. (ARE THEY SCARED TO ADMIT THE UPGRADE WILL AFFECT THE SERVICE BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO REFUND CUSTOMERS PAYMENTS??)

OUR ONLY OTHER TEST NOW IS TO GET ANOTHER PC / LAPTOP AND CONNECT THAT TO OUR MODEM TO RULE OUT WHETHER OUR PC IS THE PROBLEM OR WHETHER IT IS THE SERVICE ??

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED

Aragorn
15-02-2006, 14:22
:welcome: to CF

It sounds like you are frustrated but, unless I'm missing it, you haven't actually said what your problem is!

From the title, can we deduce that your broadband is sometimes slow. Slow measured by what - browsing, downloading, gaming?
Have you used any of the speedtests available (such as the CF one above)?
What speed service are you signed up to?
Are you connected via a cable modem or STB?
How does your PC connect to the modem/stb - Ethernet (RJ45) cable or USB?
What OS is the PC running - XP Home?
Is anything else running on the PC when the network is slow?

Hopefully the answers to these will help us tie down your problem.

3paraccoy
15-02-2006, 19:14
sorry for being a little vague - the problem we are experiencing is with the speed of our browsing and downloading. We are supposed to be on 2mb - which we have previously had no problems with up to now - it is currently as slow as a slug!!
We are connected via a ethernet cable to webstar modem DPX100.
We are on XP os.
There is nothing else running when we are browsing and all background tasks are closed for gaming.
Question: If we are on 2mb, how long should it take to download a game patch of 280mb size ??(when we were on 1mb before they upgraded us - it was taking 4 hours plus)
when we finally managed to download a recommended tool (pc pitstop)to check our broadband speed and pc performance it highlighted a 'slow internet performance bandwidth'
bandwidth down rated speed - 128 / tested speed - 207 kbits/sec
bandwidth up rated speed - 128 / tested speed - 43 kbits/sec
ping latency rated speed 280 / tested speed 128 milliseconds

it suggested that slow uploads can occur if we were using a proxy access to the internet - which we are not.

Hope this helps to narrow down possible causes ??

(incidently we have spoken to a few people who are also on Telewest blueyonder broadband ie: neighbours and friends who are also experiencing a sudden loss in speed)

thanks in anticipation

epson
15-02-2006, 20:00
3paraccoy,It's the same for everyone,very slow most of the time,they think just because they have increased every one's speed they have the right to **** everyone about when ever it suit's them,i live in devon and have not been upgraded yet ,but i was happy paying £50 for 4Mb,at least i never had any trouble for well over a year until now,night after night for at least a month now(dial up speed's)and if you disconnet any time after 4pm ....that's your lot until about 10pm,i have called telewest customer service so many time's and keep getting the same old crap from them,soon many isp company's will reach this remote part of the uk....and let me tell you telewest can lick my hairy ring piece.

:dmonk: <<< customer service staff

Aragorn
15-02-2006, 23:09
It does sound like there is a problem.

What happens if you try this speed test :
http://www.cableforum.co.uk:81/board/speed.php

Have you tried downloading something large from the BY games server : ftp://ftp.blueyonder.co.uk/store2/blueyondergames/
At least that way you're not stepping out of the BY network.
As it's an ftp site, you could also try a better FTP client (filezilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/) maybe) than your browser.
You could also try doing a tracert (eg tracert ftp.blueyonder.co.uk at Dos prompt) to the ftp site and to www.cisco.com. This might identify whether the holdup is inside or outside the BY network.

An example tracert from my NTL 2Mb line (speed test says I'm getting pretty much 2Mb):
3 22 ms 14 ms 10 ms glfd-t2cam1-b-v107.inet.ntl.com [80.4.30.173]
4 26 ms 22 ms 21 ms 195.182.175.253
5 13 ms 10 ms 9 ms gfd-bb-b-so-300-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.29]
6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms win-bb-a-so-500-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.129]

7 61 ms 43 ms 22 ms man-bb-b-so-600-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.137]

8 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms mana-ic-1-so-300-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.188.74]

9 * 16 ms 15 ms 194.117.148.177
10 22 ms 23 ms 24 ms 194.117.136.217
11 23 ms 21 ms 27 ms mirror3.blueyonder.net [194.117.143.71]

This might not solve your issues :( , but it might give a clue where the issue lies :)

Stuart
15-02-2006, 23:11
3paraccoy, :welcome: to the forum.

telecom69
16-02-2006, 08:24
epson, you hit the nail on the head when you said between 4 and 10 pm,because thats the time that millions of kids log on and clog up the network by downloading everything in sight,its the same during school holidays,its called saturation point ......... plus of course over subscription by Telewest in your local area wouldnt help either if thats the case ...The way round it is to use the computer throughout the night,or move to an estate full of Senior citizens....just kidding of course but thats the only way round it as I see it .....

castor76
16-02-2006, 13:34
well, i think i must agree with telecom69 with the current issue. I think I am having a similia problem as well. About the same period of time. My line is supposed to be upgraded , but when I run the test on 4:00am in the morning,
I only get 1mbit speed. So it is either Telewest is not telling me the truth or they made mistake... between 4:00pm and 11:00 pm, I sometimes can't load a single page. And the download is very unstable as it changes all the time (every second) from 5kb - 30kb... ping is extreamly high. Can't play CS.

Telewest told me that the issue is known and they are trying to fix it by the end of March, so just wait and see what happens till then 3para.

picapau
12-03-2006, 04:53
EPSON and TELECOM69..... well said guys !!!
so, telecom, you're saying that i've got to move to an area where there's loads of Seniors... and ESPECIALLY NO KIDS !!!!! i HATE kids anyway !!!! ONE MORE reason !!!!!! only joking !!!!!!!
anyway, epson, you're right man !!!!! .... looks like god knows how much ****e they're throwing in our face to so many of us up and down the country !!!! when they know what the problem, and also, of course, 1st of all, they know that there IS a problem !!!!
so, if they're ripping a lot of us off big time at the moment, why don't they at least come clean and admit it and maybe send us all a letter saying with honesty that right now they're ****e and that most of the problems are with them....
i've really had it with telewest ****ing us about during the last few months...
clearly, they've really messed up with their 'unlimited' and their speed upgrades galore !!!!!
i mean, what's their problem !!!! who needs 4, 8 or 10 Mbps downloads anyway... since most things work really really well with a SOLID million bits per seconds BUT IT NEEDS TO BE A SOLID MILLION (= 1 Mega) AND IT NEEDS TO BE 24/7 !!!
but i think its the overload of the number of subscribers per area that's the real problem !!!
anyway, why don't they invest in more premises and more hardware... and even ask us for more money every month if they need it (since evrything costs money anyway!)...
or why don't they start capping all over... BUT PERSONALLY I THINK THIS SOLUTION WOULD BE ****E !!!
.... personally, if there weren't another way, i would be ready to pay up to £35 every month for an unlimited but a SOLID 1 OR 2 MBPS AND I WANT IT 24/7...
but one thing is certain, many of us don't wanna be ****ed about no more like now !!! i don't care what they do, but they better do it, NOW !!!!!!

<mod edit: Chris W> No need for personal insults thanks. removed.

skywave
22-03-2006, 20:18
:welcome: to CF

It sounds like you are frustrated but, unless I'm missing it, you haven't actually said what your problem is!

From the title, can we deduce that your broadband is sometimes slow. Slow measured by what - browsing, downloading, gaming?
Have you used any of the speedtests available (such as the CF one above)?
What speed service are you signed up to?
Are you connected via a cable modem or STB?
How does your PC connect to the modem/stb - Ethernet (RJ45) cable or USB?
What OS is the PC running - XP Home?
Is anything else running on the PC when the network is slow?

Hopefully the answers to these will help us tie down your problem.
WHY DOESN'T THE SPEED TEST WORK? IT SAYS YOU HAVE TO HAVE JAVA AND IVE GOT JAVA SO WHY DOESN'T IT WORK??

v0id
23-03-2006, 00:11
http://www.speedtest.ndo.com (http://www.speedtest.ndo.com/)

Cerberus
23-03-2006, 00:48
http://www.speedtest.ndo.com (http://www.speedtest.ndo.com/)

:Yikes:

Stole my avatar:(

wolfking
23-03-2006, 01:57
WHY DOESN'T THE SPEED TEST WORK? IT SAYS YOU HAVE TO HAVE JAVA AND IVE GOT JAVA SO WHY DOESN'T IT WORK??

it can be one of 2 things why javas not working what I can think of 1. you havent got the latest version installed & 2. your java software is damaged/corrupt.

jaggedx
23-03-2006, 23:03
sounds like the id channel ur on is busy with traffic at peak time. join the club m8.

if ur lucky - try switching id channels on ur cablemodem config page. and ur area might not be too saturated for ur ping to return to normal on a different channel.

still not lucky - get on the phone and complain/ask for customer relations team leader etc. and get some discounted cable till its fixed.

until folks in ur area start complaining - most wont cause their new and too busy downloading everything under sun (but too scared to say it cause its not exactly free legal downloads they going for is it?)

- this pockets hits gamers the worst - due to the incredibly bad latency caused by this oversubscription to a duff and actually not upgraded network.
gl

ps - really wish telewest would stop telling lies about the network and causing so much needless hassle to customers. u dont need to speed test with java programs.
ping ur server with ur favourite browser.

- its not ur os - its very unlikely u have virus. adaware and a good norton net package will cover u with ms updates.(which can be worked around if its not legit copy too)

not that it matters tho - hope u not gone too frustrated m8. its the network :)

skywave
24-03-2006, 13:35
:Yikes:

Stole my avatar:(
THANK YOU CERB, AT LAST A NONE BS SPEED TEST TESTER.:)

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

it can be one of 2 things why javas not working what I can think of 1. you havent got the latest version installed & 2. your java software is damaged/corrupt.
Where is th best plae to download java, because when I go to download it, it says the file is no longer there, it has to be somewhere on java.com.

Ignition
24-03-2006, 14:19
http://www.sun.com/java