PDA

View Full Version : Fob offs-is this right??

PVD2006
13-02-2006, 18:39
Noob alert...hello to all
ive been observing the forums for a while, but thought i would join.
im on the 10 meg service and have the surfboard SB4100. how do they measure the bits per second?. for instance in an optimum environment, ie fast Newsgroups, best time of day i should get about 1 meg a second right? i never go abouve 500k on anything, but when i have tried to say to BY tech they ask me to download 2 files at the same time. They both seem to go about the same speed, 400k and 500k respectively. BY say if you add the two up "you are getting the 1meg a second...." is this correct?, even though i rarely download more than 1 file at a time. i would expect to get 900k---1.2 meg a second *in an optimum environment*;)

lilpeewee
13-02-2006, 20:14
This is correct advice bud. The reason being is that not all servers newsgroups or not can give you 10mb off the bat another reason is also
that if there is a lot of ppl using the newsgroups then it may well be saturated.

The reason for 2 or more downloads is added together it shows you are getting the best part of 10mb speeds ie 10mb= 10240 or so Kb so your 2 downloads = 900Kb which isnt so bad.

I always recommend visiting www.speedguide.net (http://www.speedguide.net) and look at the tcp/ip analyzer and optimizer

PVD2006
13-02-2006, 22:28
I do get what your saying...and i understand not all servers newsgroups can give you 10mb, but when i see people on here do screen dumps showing file downloads its shows 1.2mb per sec or at least 800-900k. if i did the same download, at the same time, under the same conditions, why should i get 500k sec and someone else get 1.2 meg. I got the upgrade in Nov and i have never attained anywhere near that single file download speed, i use FTP, paid for newsgroups, BY gamefiles.....MS, Fast U.K servers, at different times of day(and night) but get the same result. Maybe im not getting my head round the bandwidth, contention, issue. Apart from that im happy.:)

brundles
13-02-2006, 22:54
There are some settings within Windows that can affect things too - resulting in limits on speed per connection.

There are programs around to tweak them but I couldn't tell you any names - I'm sure someone can though.

lilpeewee
15-02-2006, 14:23
www.speedguide.net (http://www.speedguide.net) is a great site for this kinda thing

SuperHans
05-03-2006, 10:22
www.speedguide.net (http://www.speedguide.net) is a great site for this kinda thing

Yeh speedguide is cool. You can download a registry patch to adjust your MTU and MMU for the optimum performance of 10MB as windows cannot adjust this automatically and as a result windows can throttle and bottleneck your bandwidth.

I am certainly not a big fan of BY but BY are kinda right in saying doing multiple downloads will give you a true representaion of your bandwidth as Newsgroups are definately not made for that kind of bandwidth. A newsgroup is intended for the sharing of small text files but people tend to share large graphic and movie files which is what it is not intended for. That's what Bitorrent is for.

Also I do not know of any sites that will let you download at 10MB. They cap the amount of bandwidth you can use (alot of sites cap at about 2MB ie: download.com). Best way to test your speed is download from an FTP server. These are nt sites but just a list of files you can grab so there is not bandwidth capping. Just type in google 'FTP downloads'

Ignition
05-03-2006, 20:17
Yeh speedguide is cool. You can download a registry patch to adjust your MTU and MMU for the optimum performance of 10MB as windows cannot adjust this automatically and as a result windows can throttle and bottleneck your bandwidth.

I am certainly not a big fan of BY but BY are kinda right in saying doing multiple downloads will give you a true representaion of your bandwidth as Newsgroups are definately not made for that kind of bandwidth. A newsgroup is intended for the sharing of small text files but people tend to share large graphic and movie files which is what it is not intended for. That's what Bitorrent is for.

Also I do not know of any sites that will let you download at 10MB. They cap the amount of bandwidth you can use (alot of sites cap at about 2MB ie: download.com). Best way to test your speed is download from an FTP server. These are nt sites but just a list of files you can grab so there is not bandwidth capping. Just type in google 'FTP downloads'

Akamai mirrored sites will gladly let you take data as fast as you can. Several others too.

What is an MMU? MTU and RWin I'm aware of I've never heard of MMU.

OP If you can't get a good speed from newsgroups RWin probably isn't the issue - how many threads are you using on newsgroups? Which newsgroup server are you using? If you can't get above 500kB/s on a single thread from BY's own servers I'm thinking even less that this is the issue unless your settings are really badly out of kilter.

Try http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks to confirm that RWin etc are ok.

SuperHans
06-03-2006, 19:06
Akamai mirrored sites will gladly let you take data as fast as you can. Several others too.

What is an MMU? MTU and RWin I'm aware of I've never heard of MMU.

OP If you can't get a good speed from newsgroups RWin probably isn't the issue - how many threads are you using on newsgroups? Which newsgroup server are you using? If you can't get above 500kB/s on a single thread from BY's own servers I'm thinking even less that this is the issue unless your settings are really badly out of kilter.

Try http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks to confirm that RWin etc are ok.

you havent oh... MMU= Memory Management Unit. A Hardware component for handling memory requests from the CPU. Not related to your Net connection at all. A simple typing mistake. I am surprised a man like yourself of such vast intelligence did not know that.

Ignition
07-03-2006, 03:24
you havent oh... MMU= Memory Management Unit. A Hardware component for handling memory requests from the CPU. Not related to your Net connection at all. A simple typing mistake. I am surprised a man like yourself of such vast intelligence did not know that.

Yes I'm aware of what an MMU is in that regard (I reverse engineer programs so it kinda helps to know how memory is handled, even if I didn't I would have just googled MMU unit to find out), I just didn't really see the relevance of it to an internet connection or why a website would be offering a registry patch to tweak it to make an internet connection go faster, hence why I was asking about it as I thought it might be a term relating to internet I wasn't aware of.

Thanks for the information, albeit with somewhat acidic presentation :cool:

Steve2303
07-03-2006, 12:08
Slightly different subject, but sounds like a fob off:
I have 512k BY, with free upgrade to 2Mb. Still getting 512k on the speedtests. Called BY, they said I'm connected to the Newton Abbot exchange which is due to be upgraded in April. I live in West Sussex, 200 miles from Newton Abbot. Are they fobbing me off?

Ignition
07-03-2006, 17:22
Slightly different subject, but sounds like a fob off:
I have 512k BY, with free upgrade to 2Mb. Still getting 512k on the speedtests. Called BY, they said I'm connected to the Newton Abbot exchange which is due to be upgraded in April. I live in West Sussex, 200 miles from Newton Abbot. Are they fobbing me off?

The bit of kit you connect to has to be within about 100km of actual cable of you, so yeah they probably are, however they may count the bit of kit you actually connect to as being part of Newton Abbot headend. Seems *extremely* unlikely though. So they either have weird and wonderful organisation or they can change the laws of physics (justamin do you have a Capt James Scott working for you? ;) )

Visit http://www.whatismyip.com/ and copy the first 3 numbers it gives for your IP, IE in my case it's 81.170.65.x and be able to tell you for sure.

skywave
11-03-2006, 15:15
Its a con, you have to register the product which costs money

lilpeewee
12-03-2006, 09:59
Its a con, you have to register the product which costs money

Not on all the times I have downloaded and used it. Also the info alone is free to read. There arev many programs that do the same thing out there
or you could just manually do it.