PDA

View Full Version : Two cable modems?

RedMercury
09-02-2006, 11:05
Hello!

I've just got a nice new Linksys RV042 which supports load balancing via two WAN ports.

Do NTL allow two home cable connections to the same address?

I'm thinking about downgrading to the second tier service when that gets put up to 10mbit, and getting another CM/account for 20mbits download goodness :)

m47een
09-02-2006, 11:37
I have been looking into this recently and am interested to know if NTL will allow two home cable connections to the same address. I was considering bonding the two connections together however im not sure if NTL support MultiLink PPP.

What the Linksys RV042 does is team the connections together so in effect you will still only get a maximum connection speed of 10mbit. Its more for efficiency and fail over than anything else.

Bonding the connections will get you 20mbit as it "bonds" the two connections and uses them as one. the Linksys RV042 use both connections individually thats how it load balances them, so you can download two files both at a maximum of 10mbits.

Downloads
09-02-2006, 11:41
Yes NTL allows 2 cable modems in a house. How do i know? My brother has 2.

Derek
09-02-2006, 11:44
Yes they do but remember both running full pelt would be more likely to cause issues in the local area and be flagged up to the AUP team quickly.

m47een
09-02-2006, 11:44
Hi Gruff,

Do you happen to know what your brothers set up is? is he using them indivdually or has he bonded them ??

zing_deleted
09-02-2006, 11:53
why in gods name would you want 2 10 meg connections load balanced its just greedy.You would be much better off with 2x 2 meg unlimted connections ok you will only have 4 meg but you will have unlimited downloads instead or 60 gig. you would have the lot in half a day

Downloads
09-02-2006, 11:56
Hi Gruff,

Do you happen to know what your brothers set up is? is he using them indivdually or has he bonded them ??

He's using them individually. Don't ask me why!

m47een
09-02-2006, 11:58
having 2x10mbit connections will give you a upload of 1024kbit if you bond the connections which would be great if your running a part time game server..!

ian@huth
09-02-2006, 12:24
I wouldn't want customers with the NEED to have 1024kb upload on the same UBR card as myself.

Ignition
09-02-2006, 16:44
I wouldn't want customers with the NEED to have 1024kb upload on the same UBR card as myself.

There's a cap thread for that. I know how much you love commenting on other people's potential usage but looooads of room in there :)

Red, absolutely no probs at all. If they get anal just stick an A at the back of your house number which = new address, job done.

m47 - that 1Mbit upload would be no use at all for games hosting sadly.

zing_deleted
09-02-2006, 16:51

m47 - that 1Mbit upload would be no use at all for games hosting sadly.

Why ? I believe ya just wanna learn something new today lol

Hans Gruber
09-02-2006, 19:41
Why ? I believe ya just wanna learn something new today lol

You'd only have 512k per IP address

RedMercury
09-02-2006, 20:53

Who said anything about need? :)

It was more of a curiosity thing. I don't download that much, but when I do I want it quickly! I'm going to downgrade from tier 3 to tier 2 if/when NTL bring tier 2 up to 10mbit anyway.

As for downloads, I was thinking about using something like GetRight for FTP - it can open up multiple connections and download one file in several parts, so you'd get the aggregate bandwidth for one logical FTP transaction.

Yes they do but remember both running full pelt would be more likely to cause issues in the local area and be flagged up to the AUP team quickly.

My question was more "do they allow you two have two cable modem accounts at the same address". I don't see why it would be in violation if any AUP if you were paying for it...

Ignition - Good stuff :)

dragon
09-02-2006, 21:11
If the cable to his house is capable of running 2 modems at 10mbit and theres enough space on the equipment for him to have 2 connections then i can't see any reason why he can't have a 2nd connection

After all NTL are a company If the customer turns around and says HEY i want to buy more from you and they have the capacity to provide it would seem a bit silly to turn ya away!

If your prepared to pay for it can't see why they wouldnt sell you it;)

m47een
10-02-2006, 11:08
Thanks for your feedback Ignition,

I dont meen to cheeky or anything but I would be grateful if you could explain why this would be no good for game hosting.?

I was looking into Vicomsoft Intergate software and from what I could gather I assumed you could use the aggregate bandwidth of both connections, is this not right??

ian@huth
10-02-2006, 11:32
Who said anything about need? :)

It was more of a curiosity thing. I don't download that much, but when I do I want it quickly! I'm going to downgrade from tier 3 to tier 2 if/when NTL bring tier 2 up to 10mbit anyway.

I mentioned the word NEED because of m47een's comment about having two connections for their combined upstream capabilities. I quite understand having two connections in order to get information quicker as your OP mentioned. Having faster connections to get things quicker without trying to download the entire internet is a use that some people do not seem to comprehend.

I used the word NEED because if having two connections just for the higher combined upload capability would suggest that the user will regularly be using more than the 512kb that one connection gives. It would soon saturate upstream bandwidth if there were several doing this.

Whilst I agree with Ignition that there is a thread for capping I thought that I had made a comment that was in context to what this thread was about. I don't agree with him posting off topic personal attacks on other members in his posts though.

Ignition
10-02-2006, 18:03
Thanks for your feedback Ignition,

I dont meen to cheeky or anything but I would be grateful if you could explain why this would be no good for game hosting.?

I was looking into Vicomsoft Intergate software and from what I could gather I assumed you could use the aggregate bandwidth of both connections, is this not right??

No, you'd still have 2 different IP addresses, people can't connect to both so you'd only be able to host more games not bigger ones.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

I don't agree with him posting off topic personal attacks on other members in his posts though.

Response was in reference to your off topic comment. I would love to share bandwidth with no-one, doesn't mean I need to post about it in a thread about essentially ntl's billing. None of our business why the chap wanted to know or what he does with it, he may just want to upload 5MB attachments faster and is no different from 2 student houses each with 5 people living in them having 10Mbit and hammering it.

If you regard it as a personal attack drop your own attacks whenever you get the hint someone might use their connection more heavily than you do, or consider acceptable.

Anyway dragging more OT, question has been answered as has question above.

m47een
11-02-2006, 00:58
Thanks for our help ignition that point simply didn't occur to me and also thanks for replying to ian@huth.

I would just like to clarify with ian@huth that I only have one connection and it is one that I use within the terms and agreement with NTL. I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see how me asking somebody a question about increasing bandwidth should affect you in anyway shape or form. I would therefore suggest you keep your opinions of other peoples bandwidth usage to yourself. Itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not your service that I am using its NTL's if they have a problem with anything I do then they have the right to speak to me about it. You on the other hand are just another paying customer just like the rest of us. Anyway even I had two connections what does it matter to you? I would be paying for both just the same you pay for yours, I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see how my or anyone elseââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s bandwidth usage effects you and as such gives you no right to comment on how much or little I use.

Nidge
11-02-2006, 06:19
I have 2 connections in my house and they are running fine, I'm getting 9.32MBPS my lad upstairs is on the 1meg I think his speeds are fine, the only problem regarding the install was the cable outside wasn't big enough because we have the phone and TV with NTL, they had to come and install a new cable, this all happend on the day of the install.